DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your 5$ flyaway insurance measure

jumpingbean

Reactions
There is substantial talk on the net about the range extending capabilities of the parabolic reflectors, available from Amazon or Aliexpress for pennies.

They do give an edge in terms of range, but pointing it constantly reduces smoothness of flying on short to medium distances. In the end, I usually fly without them, as I have more flexibility around my starting point.

However, they are invaluable when you fly past your normal range. Instead of allowing rth to kick in and expose the drone to potentially dangerous winds, just stay calm and put the range extenders on at this point. Bang! The signal always comes back and it’s solid enough to let you reverse and navigate back into your comfort zone.

The range extenders proved to be a nifty tool for these ambitious droners with eyesight good enough to do 2 km+ of VLOS flights, but it’s also a reliable emergency solution for everyday MM pilots. Stash one in your pocket next time you’re going to buzz around and witness the magic happening, when your video feed will come back during the most suspenseful moments of your flight.

Don’t fall for the magic though too much, as if you’ll fly behind a solid obstacle, you’ll have less chance of regaining control. Also, don’t go yeehaw cowboy too much and fly constantly with the parabolic reflectors. Once you outrun the range of these, there is little you can do to extend your control distance ad hoc.

Reactions: Camino Ken
There is substantial talk on the net about the range extending capabilities of the parabolic reflectors, available from Amazon or Aliexpress for pennies.

They do give an edge in terms of range, but pointing it constantly reduces smoothness of flying on short to medium distances. In the end, I usually fly without them, as I have more flexibility around my starting point.

However, they are invaluable when you fly past your normal range. Instead of allowing rth to kick in and expose the drone to potentially dangerous winds, just stay calm and put the range extenders on at this point. Bang! The signal always comes back and it’s solid enough to let you reverse and navigate back into your comfort zone.

The range extenders proved to be a nifty tool for these ambitious droners with eyesight good enough to do 2 km+ of VLOS flights, but it’s also a reliable emergency solution for everyday MM pilots. Stash one in your pocket next time you’re going to buzz around and witness the magic happening, when your video feed will come back during the most suspenseful moments of your flight.

Don’t fall for the magic though too much, as if you’ll fly behind a solid obstacle, you’ll have less chance of regaining control. Also, don’t go yeehaw cowboy too much and fly constantly with the parabolic reflectors. Once you outrun the range of these, there is little you can do to extend your control distance ad hoc.
Good suggestion, primarily with your suggested use strategy. Use only in special situations. I would echo the point you made regarding directionality. Pilots will have to be more diligent in making sure your controller antenna are always pointing directly at the drone with the optimum angle.

Ali express has lots of MM kit. Do these really work?

. View attachment 90588View attachment 90589
I have never used them but according to antenna theory the parabolic reflectors will focus the RF signal in the front direction with the corresponding reduction in signal to the sides and back. It is important that they actually contain conductive material in the construction. I have seen some that were completely made of plastic which are useless. The second picture with what looks like antenna extensions I am more dubious. Changing the length of the antenna may help but could just as easily reduce the signal due to incorrect antenna loading and impedance mismatches.

It would be useful for folks that have actually tried these to report back on any range improvements.

Reactions: Antaire
[snip]
The range extenders proved to be a nifty tool for these ambitious droners with eyesight good enough to do 2 km+ of VLOS flights...

According to this maths.org article, "The human eye has an angular resolution of about 1 arcminute (0.02 degrees or 0.0003 radians) which enables us to distinguish things that are 30 centimetres apart at a distance of 1 kilometre."

If you can see a Mini at 1 km you have better than average vision. If you can see it at 2+ km, you're probably lying. ?

Reactions: Antaire
Have a look here... It seems they are working (at the distance he made the test...)

If you can see a Mini at 1 km you have better than average vision. If you can see it at 2+ km, you're probably lying. ?

Haven’t you sensed the irony? :) Personally, I cannot spot MM from more than a hundred meters and I keep my usual distances under 200 m for the sake of signal’s stability.

And even on those short distances, it’s possible to lose your video feed. And then the reflectors come in handy.

I’ve made some tests, and I can confirm that with proper pointing, I was able to get longer distances, though the bonus varies. With this inconsistency and the need of precise following of the drone with the reflectors, sometimes flying without them gives a smoother experience.

Then again, I’ve had occasions where the signal was fine up to 70 meters behind the reflectors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser