DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

YouTube compression is bad

Reactions
Anyone have a method to get around their resolution compromising processing? Maybe upload the full 4K rather than 1080?

Anyone have a method to get around their resolution compromising processing? Maybe upload the full 4K rather than 1080?
I’ve had the same problem. Especially when you live in the boonies with slow internet. I was uploading in 1080 because, on my end, I saw no difference between that and 4k. High contrast scenes and areas with crushed blacks would come back highly pixelated. It was awful to see a beautiful scene on a 27 inch iMac Pro look like it was produced at 720 on a kids toy.
However, recently I discovered that if I upload in 4k, I do get a playback option greater than 1080. I am assuming anyone who lives in the big city with “modern” internet defaults to the higher resolution on playback. When I choose one the higher resolutions, things look good, but it stops and starts. But at least I know those higher resolutions are available for others as opposed to just a 1080 limit.

As far as uploading, I could walk to the YouTube server building faster than the many hours it takes to upload a 3 minute video in 4k. I need to move.

One other thing, get familiar with the YouTube recommendations for resolution and bit rate. Then make sure your post processing software renders the necessary bit rate for 1080 or 4k resolutions.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid