DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Melting batteries?

You made me check mine just to be sure, but no issues here, so far! Only that one vid on it so, could be certain isolated batteries may have issues or not cared for as expected.? The updated charger mentioned in the vid as a updated charger? ummm. No reviews on it so,,, only BH Review.

I have four batteries, Fly More plus one. No indications of any issues so far. Probably four cycles on each as of now. I'll be watching though. I always give everything a good looking over anyway, including the battery/copter contacts. I do mostly coastal flying, and all it would take is a bit of corrosion to ruin a nice afternoon. It's yet to happen, but yeah, I always look..

Ya, the channel pimping did not occur to me... thanks for pointing that out. After the long and ongoing battle with MP2/Z batteries swelling, I am sensitive to things that are going to get costly down the road.

I’ve been around long enough to see that the self discharge is the problem looks like it may be discharging and getting way to hot.. My advice and I’ll check mine from now on is too leave them at around 50-60% then hopefully the self discharge won’t be as hot.. hope Dji looks into this one.

checked out my Mavic Air 2 batteries and then checked AirData for time and flights, flight temps, outside temps, all the stuff I could think of to come up for a reason that his batteries are junk and mine after thirty flights and five hours and forty five minutes are still pristine and seemingly in perfect condition. It's a mystery.

Hmmm.. saw this in the help forum, so perhaps this might be a real issue after all?

I think the other post replies showed that it was not a “issue”. It likely happened, why who knows. Could have been with an aftermarket charger. Could have been with a pre-release drone too. We know those review drones are not always 100%. Could have been a soldering or one off manufacturing defect.

With only one or two examples versus thousands of MA2 I think this is currently in the portion of “this is why there is a warranty” and not a sky is falling “defect”.

Do I look at my batteries more, yes...

It looks like the battery melt issue isn’t just an isolated incident. For anyone who is not following the other battery melting thread, here is a picture of mine. First time the battery was used on a brand new drone. Starting to sound like possibly a bad batch somewhere down the line.

Attachments

• BA5C80B9-24F9-47E8-9787-03D126B263F2.jpeg
    BA5C80B9-24F9-47E8-9787-03D126B263F2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • Wow
Reactions: tiwag

Anyone here having this issue? I just checked all mine, they have about 2-3 flights each, all is well.

Here is a picture of the battery they just pulled from my mavic air 2 that is at the DJI repair shop now. It is covered under warranty but was quoted at having just under $700 in damage. I bought the fly more package plus one additional battery. Now that I know that the batteries are having this issue, I'm going to take a picture of all the battery serial numbers in hopes they have a recall and we can trade them out.

Was flying my MA2 for probably about 10 mins. No issues during flight. Did a RTH and about 60ft high before landing I got an attitude error. It landed without issue and just that error. Went to shut the drone down and it would not turn off. Started to smell melting plastic and the drone battery was very hot. I was not successful in getting the drone to turn off. Out of fear of potential fire, I left it outside in a cover area till the battery died out. Checked on it the next day when it was cold to touch and the battery would not release. Still had the burnt smell. Sent the MA2 to DJI repair center the next (California) and they sent me a pic of the battery. Hope no one else has this issue but unfortunately, I've see other similar type stories.

Store your batteries in a safe fire proof area.

Attachments

• 931121AE-9799-4F4B-8C15-25176FFD24FC.jpeg
    931121AE-9799-4F4B-8C15-25176FFD24FC.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 29
Could one say that after 10+ cycles that a battery has passed the battle test or, could this happen anytime (assumption being proper battery use, storage and maintenance is followed of course)?

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I had a melting battery and so far DJI is giving me problems about replacing it. Been a week and it’s under review.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenbookwriting