DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st Time Drone Owners

had to wait 6-7 weeks for my MP to arrive and whilst waiting I bought 3 toy drones.
Big mistake. I could have used that money to buy accessories for my MP.

Reactions: Stix
I played video games growing up, isn't that enough?! lol.. my first drone is my Mavic and the first night I flew it indoors. I'm not going to go buy a car without ABS just to say I learned the original way.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I played video games growing up, isn't that enough?! lol.. my first drone is my Mavic and the first night I flew it indoors. I'm not going to go buy a car without ABS just to say I learned the original way.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Although the ABS on your car won't cut out based on terrain and other EM Interference. That's the flaw in all these arguments. The systems that make the drone easy to fly can fail and when they do being able to keep control over your quad can be the difference between a crash and safely bringing your quad back home.

The reason people are frustrated with the tiny toy drones is twofold. First the tiny drones have crappy controller that don't usually have dual rates and expo. Second the flight controllers and other components on those drones aren't exactly top notch thus they aren't super smooth. You really need to stay away from Amazon and get hobby grade stuff.

It might cost a bit more but I recommend a Spektrum DX6 or similar transmitter and then get a Blade inductrix or Blade Nano QX. Learning to fly on a decent transmitter that has a similar stick feel to the mavic will help immensely and the tiny quads can be flown inside so you can have fun flying even when the weather sucks or its after dark. You can even step up to the FPV versions of these quads for even more indoor fun. Even with all the features of the mavic working flawlessly just being able to fly line of sight in an orientation other than tail in is a crucial skill.

Alternatively I recommend FrSky transmitters and googling "Tiny Whoop" you'll see some really fun quads to learn on that are relatively cheap and best of all a blast to fly.

Although the ABS on your car won't cut out based on terrain and other EM Interference. That's the flaw in all these arguments. The systems that make the drone easy to fly can fail and when they do being able to keep control over your quad can be the difference between a crash and safely bringing your quad back home.

ABS is controlled by electronics, which can fail for a multitude of reasons.

Just saying that you shouldn't go out and buy cheaper drones to practice with, since the one you hope doesn't fail will not handle at all like the practice one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABS is controlled by electronics, which can fail for a multitude of reasons.

Just saying that you shouldn't go out and buy cheaper drones to practice with, since the one you hope doesn't fail will not handle at all like the practice one.

I'm sorry but that argument is flawed. There are dozens of people who have reported being dropped into Atti mode when they lost GPS or Compass data. When you are in Atti mode you are basically flying a toy drone with Altitude hold. There is a very real possibility that you could lose GPS or even video signal. The failure rate of an ABS system in a car that adheres to national safety standards is a much different beast than a positioning system that can be affected by radio interference, atmospheric conditions & physical obstacles.

If you could manually put the Mavic into Atti mode like previous DJI drones like the Phantom then yes I would agree with you. However currently the Mavic doesn't have the tools to teach you how to fly by hand. You don't want the first time you are flying without GPS signal in ATTI to be an emergency situation.

However currently the Mavic doesn't have the tools to teach you how to fly by hand. You don't want the first time you are flying without GPS signal in ATTI to be an emergency situation.

Metal building and cover up sensors.

And remember, anything that can fail, will fail. Like your tire blowing out at 70mph... but do you practice that?

We're talking about a little drone falling from the sky. Just get DJI refresh and call it a day.

I'm sorry but that argument is flawed. There are dozens of people who have reported being dropped into Atti mode when they lost GPS or Compass data. When you are in Atti mode you are basically flying a toy drone with Altitude hold. There is a very real possibility that you could lose GPS or even video signal. The failure rate of an ABS system in a car that adheres to national safety standards is a much different beast than a positioning system that can be affected by radio interference, atmospheric conditions & physical obstacles.

If you could manually put the Mavic into Atti mode like previous DJI drones like the Phantom then yes I would agree with you. However currently the Mavic doesn't have the tools to teach you how to fly by hand. You don't want the first time you are flying without GPS signal in ATTI to be an emergency situation.

I have never flown a drone and when mine went into ATTI mode it was not a big deal at all. Just gotta compensate for the wind. It is still pretty dang steady. I did practice a little beforehand but not a whole lot played around for about an hour. It is weird some must have a harder time then others.

Practice drones are a waste of money outside of joystick familiarity. Meaning up/down, left/right, orientation, etc. BUT this is all easily learned by going up a safe altitude and practice with Mavic.

- Sport Mode addict, ride the wind!

Indoors and no wind, sooooo... basically you guys just need to play more video games.

Indoors and no wind, sooooo... basically you guys just need to play more video games.

He was relying on the sensors in low light he was not prepared. You don't prepare for emergency ATTI indoors. Next. That was just bad judgement.

He was relying on the sensors in low light he was not prepared. You don't prepare for emergency ATTI indoors. Next. That was just bad judgement.

Why wouldn't you prepare for that? Nothing like going from opti to atti because you ventured off into a dark corner. Been there done that.

I never fire up the drone indoors thats why. If you do you're just a bit ignorant.

had to wait 6-7 weeks for my MP to arrive and whilst waiting I bought 3 toy drones.
Big mistake. I could have used that money to buy accessories for my MP.
Or you could get a better job to afford those accessories, a indoor flier that I use and that flies really good is only 20 bucks..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid