DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 headed drone

xedder

Reactions
Are there any drones with a gimbel in front and one in back? It would be great for video as you could capture more than one thing at once.

Especially if each gimbel had 2 cameras giving you 4 cameras. Even better if the gimbel had more left/ right room to pivot so you could

do a broadside view with one camera in wide and another tele recording. Also set up to have 2 video channels with 2 SD cards and split screen on monitor

for separate control. Maybe be useful for just taking pictures as well. Mavic 4 pro? or just stupid idea of mine ?

Why not just mount a 360 camera to the top or bottom?

The drone wouldn't be balanced then and change the flight characteristics . Also 360 video is highly distorted but it has its place,

lets say you were filming a live event you could get 2 views at once

The drone wouldn't be balanced then and change the flight characteristics . Also 360 video is highly distorted but it has its place,

lets say you were filming a live event you could get 2 views at once
Good luck in finding what you're looking for. So far as I know, there is no such animal.

lol I know am not looking for it just wondering really, Its gimmicky for sure but maybe in the future

Mavic pro 5 perhaps ?

There is a chance consumer drones in the future may have a gimbal in the front and one in the back (a sort is symmetric craft) if the manufacturers believe there is a market for such drones.

You can buy a Go-Pro and mount it on the back. $300.00
and the drones PID will keep the drone in proper balance you will just have a motor or two that may be run hotter if its not to much out of balance (Inside the Thrust line) it won't be a problem.

Are there any drones with a gimbel in front and one in back? It would be great for video as you could capture more than one thing at once.

Especially if each gimbel had 2 cameras giving you 4 cameras. Even better if the gimbel had more left/ right room to pivot so you could

do a broadside view with one camera in wide and another tele recording. Also set up to have 2 video channels with 2 SD cards and split screen on monitor

for separate control. Maybe be useful for just taking pictures as well. Mavic 4 pro? or just stupid idea of mine ?

You're basically describing a professional 'cinema' drone, albeit with a few exceptions - in those drones there is no need to randomly film in multiple directions for no reason. There is a forward facing camera for the pilot who must fly a given path (similar to our drones), and then a separate independent camera that is operated by the camera operator. The second (main) camera is on a 360 degree rotating gimbal that is completely unaffected by flight direction.

Before DJI dominated the consumer drone market and yielded the typical drone platform such as we fly (Mavic type quads with front mounted gimbal and camera), manufacturers were making strides along many paths.

Yuneec was one such company that made drones for the consumer market that were years ahead of their time in terms of innovative consumer drones. They had 360 camera gimbals, retractable gear that offer a clear view for the camera in any direction and purpose built controllers with large built in bright screens. and much more. That was in 2016

Imagine a drone where you could program a waypoint flight path, then upon executing that flight path you could assign camera control to the right joystick so while flying; you could precisely point the camera in any direction and not see the body of the drone while doing so. .

Sadly Yuneec could not keep pace with DJI and is gone as are all other competitors. Today if you want that capability or the capability you describe with multiple 4K cameras in many directions - expect to pay more than your willing to pay. ;)

Reactions: mavic3usa
I got my first mavic pro in 2017 and compared to my friends yuneec. The Yuneec was huge and felt plasticly and made like my toy drone. I didnt fly it he said there were issues with it. I said the mavic is the future , he said its just a toy. lol
Its to bad there is no real competition to DJI in the consumer line.

Looking at the mavic 3 i thought maybe mavic 4 would have 4 cameras, The gimbel is big as it is now so you
could have 2 wide angle lens in front then do a 180 axis turn and use the 2 tele lenses in back. Also drone would be balanced better by being symmetrical. Dont think its a stretch that DJI will have a 4 camera drone in future
probably be in big front mounted gimble though.

expect to pay more than your willing to pay. we already do !!!

I got my first mavic pro in 2017 and compared to my friends yuneec. The Yuneec was huge and felt plasticly and made like my toy drone. I didnt fly it he said there were issues with it. I said the mavic is the future , he said its just a toy. lol
Its to bad there is no real competition to DJI in the consumer line.
I agree to a point . . . . The original Typhoon was marginal and nowhere near as refined as our drones today. However the H Plus was a refinement beyond the original and mounted a 1" camera equal to a Phantom4 or a Mavic 2 Pro (which I also have). While Yuneec's drones were unrefined; their performance and features were undeniably ahead of their time. I still use an maintain my H Plus as it still has many features (such as discussed in the OP) that DJI consumer drones will never have.

To this day, my H Plus for real estate photography is my go-to choice over the Mavic 2 Pro for several reasons, the camera is outstanding for photography, the H Platform performs better in high winds, has a safety factor of motor loss capability and (most importantly for where I fly), NO Geo Zones.

Living near an executive airport, sandwiched between 2 International airports (north and south of me) with Kennedy Space Center to my east; is a nightmare for DJI permissions in certain zones and airspace. With the H Plus, I have an un-locked aircraft free of GEO zones so all I need is permission from the FAA - not some foreign company that doesn't understand my airspace. In that respect, my Yuneec is far better suited as a tool for commercial use (for me) than is the DJI in many cases.

Still for sale in 2024 ! What a beast with ability to take 35 mph winds good camera specs as well,

I flew my trusted mavic 2 pro off a oil supply ship to get photos of a giant offshore crane Thailf.
We were 20 miles out in the ocean and as soon as i took off i had wind warnings, Skipper said it was
25 knot winds but that drone flew like a champ. The crane was 465 feet high but i didnt go any higher
than 400 ft . The 2 flights were short as i needed lots of power for the landing on the ship.
Hand launched drone and landed on a 3 foot high wooden table to negate compass error on metal ship.
Was really different looking at the remote trying to find the ship while i was moving up and down with
the waves,

Attachments

• DJI_0895.JPG
    DJI_0895.JPG
    9.2 MB · Views: 13

Cool idea, but the cameras and gimbals are probably a very large part of the overall cost of a drone. It might cost at least 50% more and eat up a lot of battery life.

I have also considered this as I have a GoPro and DJI Action camera. If I can find a way to properly balance them on a long range FPV drone, I’ll shoot both while moving forward as well as shoot sideways. It’s a long shot but worth the effort of trying considering how much effort goes into a flight (travel, gas, early morning flights for good lighting, finding the perfect spot to shoot etc).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne