DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(For the Mavic 3 Pro) Photo quality of the x3 and x7 camera in real life

You picked one of the best applications out there for cleanup and sharpening with DxO PureRAW 3. Nice example.
I find the DxO PureRAW to be quite amazing app for cleaning the noise and how much detail it is able to extract from the DNG files. It almost feels like having a better lens. I disable its lens softness correction though. I apply my own sharpening values in LR instead. I have more control over sharpening that way and like the output better. The sample posted is only a small JPEG. The full size TIFF is quite amazing!

I would appreciate other focal lengths ( 24/50/100) similar to what I had on the Inpsire 2, but I'm using the 70mm focal length (3x) for panoramas with excellent results.

What are realistic print sizes people are getting with a nice image with lots of detail and light? Yes I know there is a lot that goes into this but a good shot what size can I expect at a normal viewing distance of 3-4 feet?
Thanks

As you rightly said there is a lot which goes into this so it is impossible to give a definitive answer. Both cameras are native 12MP. That alone should give an indication. For viewing a print from 3 feet with 20-20 vision you'd need to print at 150 dpi at least. You can do the math. Anything else is upsizing and there is lots of ways and lots of good Apps which can do that with various degree of success. One App which improves the IQ and reduces noise of the original DNG files is DxO Pure Raw. I have no association with this company. I am just a paying customer and user of their product. I use this App for all Mavic 3 Pro files I want to print and the results are night and day. I guess with skillful processing you could go fairly large, perhaps A2 or A1 or even larger. Other option is of course stitching numerous shots to increase MP count if your subject allows that.

As you rightly said there is a lot which goes into this so it is impossible to give a definitive answer. Both cameras are native 12MP. That alone should give an indication. For viewing a print from 3 feet with 20-20 vision you'd need to print at 150 dpi at least. You can do the math. Anything else is upsizing and there is lots of ways and lots of good Apps which can do that with various degree of success. One App which improves the IQ and reduces noise of the original DNG files is DxO Pure Raw. I have no association with this company. I am just a paying customer and user of their product. I use this App for all Mavic 3 Pro files I want to print and the results are night and day. I guess with skillful processing you could go fairly large, perhaps A2 or A1 or even larger. Other option is of course stitching numerous shots to increase MP count if your subject allows that.
Thank you for the response. I do realize we have many factors that affect print quality from small sensors. Processing, initial image quality and sensor size are just among a few. I have a few old 20x30 images taken years ago with a Nikon D2H which was a 4.1 mp. I realize I can take multiple images and stick them as well to get a larger image as well. I guess I’m looking at what is a realistic print size from a good quality image from the Mavic 3 pro? I currently use Lightroom and PS along with Topaz and I’ve also played with DxO. I’ve been doing landscape and Aerial images for over the past 20 years but my aerial has been aircraft based. Current equipment is the Z9 and Z6 but looking to add a drone with better quality than the Mini 3 pro I have and use for just documentation of family trips.
To be honest I just haven’t tried printing any stitched images from the mini pro. So I guess that might be a good place to start. :)

Thank you for the response. I do realize we have many factors that affect print quality from small sensors. Processing, initial image quality and sensor size are just among a few. I have a few old 20x30 images taken years ago with a Nikon D2H which was a 4.1 mp. I realize I can take multiple images and stick them as well to get a larger image as well. I guess I’m looking at what is a realistic print size from a good quality image from the Mavic 3 pro? I currently use Lightroom and PS along with Topaz and I’ve also played with DxO. I’ve been doing landscape and Aerial images for over the past 20 years but my aerial has been aircraft based. Current equipment is the Z9 and Z6 but looking to add a drone with better quality than the Mini 3 pro I have and use for just documentation of family trips.
To be honest I just haven’t tried printing any stitched images from the mini pro. So I guess that might be a good place to start. :)
No problem. In essence the final print detail is about lens quality and MP. Stitching the images from your existing drone might be a good start and also a good indication if the results meet your expectations. The 70 and 166mm lenses are fairly decent all considering. The 70mm has a fair bit of CA throughout the entire frame from centre to to edges which is not easy to deal with. Sharpness and resolving power is surprisingly good on both. The 70mm can also shoot at 48MP and under good light the detail in the photos is quite amazing actually. The IQ quickly worsens under not ideal or optimal light and the benefit from shooting at 48MP mode basically evaporates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman