DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Vs. Air 2

At minute 10 he is saying mavic 2 pro stays with the settings we originally have selected, when we go to quickshots in Go 4. How can we do that, to take quickshots in 4k or even 1080p/24fps?
I'm the owner of a mavic 2 pro and when I go to quickshots in Go 4, the camera automatically goes to 1080p/30fps.

Reactions: Hiflyer808
There are well established metrics for image quality. Resolution, dynamic range, and color gamut come to mind. Comparing individual perceptions instead of making actual measurements is fun, but not very useful.
The performance of large sensor cameras like Leica, Nikon, and Canon are measured and easily available for comparison.

No - the raw files are also 48 MP - samples are available.
I stand corrected. I watched a number of YT videos from the well known channels and one of them mentioned this, while no-one (that I viewed) specifically mentioned the fact that the 48MP were RAW files.

My later post still applies IMHO. The M2P is a far better drone for photographers.

Sorry, good point. The M2P is better for photography.

Far superior is a stretch. There’s no proof that it’s better anywhere other than in low light.
The sharpest aperture setting on the M2P is 2.8 or 3.0. Any other setting the image isn’t good. The MA2 is fixed 2.8, so for the sake of conversation, often times when shooting a still, they will both be on 2.8. Once you add the increase of megapixels, the Air 2 should produce a better usable image. Quality may be the same, you could argue that, but to crop in, the Air 2 would win.
In a low light situation, opening the aperture for more light, leaving the Air 2 at 2.8....it loses.

It is very hard to draw conclusions about the image quality at this point and compare these 2 drones. many of us here (myself included) have preordered and will have the unit in our hands soon. Of course if you are on the fence just wait for more evidence. only a select number of people (that were sent the drone for free no less) have gotten their hands on this quad, with select opinions. Once we can create universal opinions as a community, then that will help all of the unsure buyers make decisions.

Far superior is a stretch. There’s no proof that it’s better anywhere other than in low light.
The sharpest aperture setting on the M2P is 2.8 or 3.0. Any other setting the image isn’t good. The MA2 is fixed 2.8, so for the sake of conversation, often times when shooting a still, they will both be on 2.8. Once you add the increase of megapixels, the Air 2 should produce a better usable image. Quality may be the same, you could argue that, but to crop in, the Air 2 would win.
In a low light situation, opening the aperture for more light, leaving the Air 2 at 2.8....it loses.

If you do not understand why a sensor that is 4 times larger is going to produce better images then this discussion is futile.

Has anyone seen a comparison of the M2 Zoom 48MP "Super Pano" mode compared to the MA2 48MP mode? The super pano takes longer to shoot, but since it stitches together 9 individual 12MP shots I'm guessing it captures more detail and also would give a better result in lower light, where the Quad Bayer may suffer more.

Personally, I'm waiting for the M3 series, or whatever DJI will call it. The MA2 is a super cool drone, but I can't afford to spend any more money on equipment right now! :)

No - it won't. He makes some good observations about the video modes, but his comments on the advantage of 48 MP over 20 MP are a bit off the mark. Yes - you can record a 48 MP image, but the quality is poor - the pixels are only ~ 1/10 the area of the M2P sensor pixels, so it is noisy and soft. It's far better to think of it as a Quad Bayer 12 MP sensor with improved specs relative to the M2Z sensor.
I totally agree with k84040! I have been a photographer since 1954...starting digital in 1999. My first digital camera produced 2 MP photos. My next camera was a 3MP. What a surprise, I could see NO DIFFERENCE in the photos. Over the years, I began purchasing cameras with much higher MP possibilities. What I discovered was that the lower MP number actually produced better quality photos.
Then...I began my studies on MP results. What I learned was precisely what k84040 said above. Larger pixels let in more light and produce less noise since there are fewer of them. Then, what about sensor size? The one inch sensor has more room to allow the same MP size to be not so crowded and therefore, also produce a better final product. Attached is a PDF file, I used for my digital camera classes at the College of Southern Maryland, that goes into detail on the pixel. issue.

Attachments

• Does Pixel Size Matter - More Detail.pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
I disagree. I bought a drone mainly for photography at which it is far superior. Any photographer would be disagree that the M2P is 'not aal that much better'.

Having said that, the Air 2, for the price, seems to be an amazing addition to the DJI catalogue.
Yes, for photography the M2P is better. But I'm talking about the whole package. Over all, the M2P is only marginally better, for twice the price.

I totally agree with k84040! I have been a photographer since 1954...starting digital in 1999. My first digital camera produced 2 MP photos. My next camera was a 3MP. What a surprise, I could see NO DIFFERENCE in the photos. Over the years, I began purchasing cameras with much higher MP possibilities. What I discovered was that the lower MP number actually produced better quality photos.
Then...I began my studies on MP results. What I learned was precisely what k84040 said above. Larger pixels let in more light and produce less noise since there are fewer of them. Then, what about sensor size? The one inch sensor has more room to allow the same MP size to be not so crowded and therefore, also produce a better final product. Attached is a PDF file, I used for my digital camera classes at the College of Southern Maryland, that goes into detail on the pixel. issue.
P.S. If the final product is to ge a very large picture such as for a poster, then higher pixels will produce a better image. Use your discretion here. One MP size for 8X10. Another for 11X18 and so on.
My Sony Alpha SLT99 has the full-frame (35X24mm) sensor. I take all my photos at the lowest MP setting possible. Again, this is based on 20 years of digital photography experience and many hours of study.

Reactions: scdronemedia
I stand corrected. I watched a number of YT videos from the well known channels and one of them mentioned this, while no-one (that I viewed) specifically mentioned the fact that the 48MP were RAW files.

My later post still applies IMHO. The M2P is a far better drone for photographers.
As a photographer I wouldn't say "far" better. The 48mp option, even with its shortcomings, is quite useful.

Yes, for photography the M2P is better. But I'm talking about the whole package. Over all, the M2P is only marginally better, for twice the price.
My argument, which is relevent to me, is that the M2P is an amazing photographic drone that also produces stunning videos. The lack of 4K 60fps is only just (in the last few months) becoming an issue. The sensor, as stated above, is nearly 4x the size of the Air 2; a single RAW image from the M2P is 42Mb in size (NOT 4 images stitched together).

I am sure that 'most' current M2P owners would not swap for the MA2 for precisely these reasons. I will be waiting to see what DJI come up with as a replacement for the M2P. IMHO, THAT will be worth the wait.

Reactions: sar104
Are you basing that on having looked at samples, specifications, or both?
Both. Needs a lot of light and obviously you can't crop in all the way to a 12mp area of the photo and get a result anywhere near what you would get taking a 12mp photo of the same area, but yes you can crop in substantially and get good results. Would be a lot less useful if only jpg.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark