DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

<250g and Laanc

Kevin J C

Reactions
I am new to the hobby.
I have a new Mini 2. I live near the edge of, but still within, a class B zone (MSP airport).
So, even though I am less than 250 grams, I think I still need LAANC clearance to fly, even just around my house in the suburbs.
My questions are:

1. Do I need Laanc to fly here?
2. If so, do I need to register with the FAA as a recreational drone operator in order to use Laanc? Or, can you obtain Laanc clearance as an unregistered operator?

Sorry if this has been asked many times. I tried to searching for this specific question without luck.

Thanks!

I am new to the hobby.
I have a new Mini 2. I live near the edge of, but still within, a class B zone (MSP airport).
So, even though I am less than 250 grams, I think I still need LAANC clearance to fly, even just around my house in the suburbs.
My questions are:

1. Do I need Laanc to fly here?
2. If so, do I need to register with the FAA as a recreational drone operator in order to use Laanc? Or, can you obtain Laanc clearance as an unregistered operator?

Sorry if this has been asked many times. I tried to searching for this specific question without luck.

Thanks!
Honestly likely you do need LAANC clearance. The drone only costs $5 to register (actually as recreational pilot you are registering you). It’s no big deal.
AirMap can help you get clearance. At best you will likely have altitude limits needed in your flight request.... sounds complicated, but it’s easy.

You don't need to be registered to use LAANC. But you do need the LAANC clearance to fly in controlled airspace, regardless of your drones weight.

Reactions: Thomas B
I could have sworn I had to put my FAA registration number in when I first started using Airmap. Now neither app asks for it. I'm rather surprised it isn't needed for clearance.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mack_Attack