DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3d printing

TexasRancher

Reactions
Hey guys, been a while.. been working on my boat.. heh.. go figure. Anyway, was going to take the boat out for the first time and get some "action shots" and then I had an idea...which you all already do I am sure...

If I fly around my boat.. in the driveway atm.. heh.. and get a 3d "view" of her...what are the best methods to make a 3d model and then export it to a 3d printer?

Someone said, in an old thread, I think fpvcam or something?

I thought I had used Litchi to fly my house and then import them into something.. sorry.. been over a year since I messed with anything for 3d, so curious what all you would use?

Thank you!

Will also keep searching the forum to see what others have tried.

R

anything for 3d, so curious what all you would use?
There are many options, ranging from free apps to highly sophisticated workflows.

As a start, use pix4d mapper to capture the images of your desired object.
Sign up for one of their services called pix4dmodel and use their 1 month free trial period.
Upload your captured images and let the software do the job.
After completion, download the mesh (.obj + mtl + .jpg)

If your 3D printer software accepts .obj, good - otherwise you have to convert the .obj to .stl.

You have to experiment a little in respect of flight path, number of images taken at what height, what angle of the camera and so forth.

There are many aspects to take care of in 3D reconstruction. This is not a typical consumer 'point and shoot' workflow.

Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25