DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4 GB Video File Limit

modbuilder

Reactions
Do all of the various video setup configurations in the MP result in 4GB max file size before it starts over with a new file? Would be interested to understand why.

Thanks.............. R

There is no way to exceed that 4GB limit.

^That, and - this is true for all consumer video cameras. You can merge the files together in a video editor and render the full length version (or, preferably, a nicely edited version).

Its just a constraint of the Fat 32 filing system to the SD card.

it's just because stupid dji uses fat32 rather than ntfs
The limit is due to the file-system used FAT32 which is used on most (all ?) USB keys, SD cards, ...
NTFS is developed by windows and it's proprietary, that's not natively supported on Linux (and maybe also not on Mac OS ?).
Having separate files isn't necessary a bad things, if your file become corrupted for any reason, that's better to loose one part of your record instead of all.

Reactions: Kilrah
Can't you format to ExFAT? Should solve the problem and cross-platform readable i believe

As said above though @Kilrah. 'tis not really a bad thing... get a sector error or forget to stop recording when you pull the battery.... lose upto 4 gig(!) of video, is better than losing the whole ball game eh?

Reactions: jcamille
Thanks for the excellent replies. I hadn't thought about file formatting as the source of the limit. It makes a lot of sense now. I have found that the sequential files can be merged and not have a visible hitch in the resulting longer video, so at least the file size limit isn't a big deal for the end result.

Reactions: jcamille and Simmo
It is - But the point is that there are cameras that do make use of ExFAT's larger file possibilities like Sony ones (have some myself too) while many (most?) others like the MA don't.

Reactions: Qoncussion
It is - But the point is that there are cameras that do make use of ExFAT's larger file possibilities like Sony ones (have some myself too) while many (most?) others like the MA don't.

I haven't check the sources, but maybe this part of the exFAT's wikipedia article may answer your question :

"ExFAT is a proprietary file system and Microsoft has not released a specification for it. This lack of documentation hampered the development of free and open-source drivers for exFAT. Accordingly, exFAT support was effectively limited to Microsoft's own products and those of Microsoft's licensees, which in turn inhibited exFAT's adoption as universal exchange format."

Reactions: Qoncussion
Can't be - was particularly addressing cameras that use ExFAT already (rendering your point moot) but still cut the files...

Can't be - was particularly addressing cameras that use ExFAT already (rendering your point moot) but still cut the files...

Check bellow, ExFAT required a license (paid license, where FAT32 is free) if some third parties want to use it.
Microsoft licenses exFAT file system to Sony, others

If the camera is made to work with ExFAT but still cut so maybe that's the designer choice to avoid you to loose all your records if something went corrupted...
The question is having 4GB is really a problem ? Anyway you will use video editing and won't keep 100% of what you filmed with no cut..

I know a license is needed, but that still doesn't apply to the situation that was being discussed... cameras that are already licensing/whatever since they use ExFAT but still split files.

No problem with multiple files for me, as someone mentioned it's even better in case a chunk gets corrupted, but some people don't like / have problems with it because they don't know how to handle that or use software that doesn't make proper joins.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne