4k Snow-capped Sundial Peak in Wasatch Mountains, Utah

pollock wow.....incredible footage...couple very quick Q's:
- did you use a ND filter
- what were your settings ...d-cinelike
- any post processing?

thx, Shaun

Thanks. No filter and no post processing. Here are the settings I used:

3840x2160, 30fps, 0 0 0, d-cinelike

Pretty basic settings. I think I probably just stumbled into a good combo by accident. :)

Awesome footage! Did you hike up all the way to the lake to launch your Mavic? How deep was the snow? I went up last week and put together this footage. Almost no snow on the trail now.

Thanks! I like the contrast of our two videos showing the same area and similar shots, but at two different times of year. That is such a great area...partly why I targeted it for a video soon after I got my Mavic. I did two videos, most of the footage is from near Lake Blanche, just across the way. It's about 1,400 feet to the summit of Sundial, so the 1,600 foot height restriction on the drone JUST barely covers the elevation difference. I wasn't originally going to try to summit, but it was such a nice day and the snow was so inviting, I just kept climbing. The 2nd video I did from the ridge near the summit...but I'd used most of my battery on the 1st video, so I had to just quickly scramble to get any footage. I was kicking myself for not having a 2nd battery for the top. I'm not sure how deep the snow was, but it was in April and I was using snowshoes for most of it. Suffice it to say, there was plenty of snow once you got to the lake.

I just did Timpanogos yesterday and got some good footage from the top...maybe I'll post it here once I get the editing done on it.

Thanks! I like the contrast of our two videos showing the same area and similar shots, but at two different times of year. That is such a great area...partly why I targeted it for a video soon after I got my Mavic. I did two videos, most of the footage is from near Lake Blanche, just across the way. It's about 1,400 feet to the summit of Sundial, so the 1,600 foot height restriction on the drone JUST barely covers the elevation difference. I wasn't originally going to try to summit, but it was such a nice day and the snow was so inviting, I just kept climbing. The 2nd video I did from the ridge near the summit...but I'd used most of my battery on the 1st video, so I had to just quickly scramble to get any footage. I was kicking myself for not having a 2nd battery for the top. I'm not sure how deep the snow was, but it was in April and I was using snowshoes for most of it. Suffice it to say, there was plenty of snow once you got to the lake.

I just did Timpanogos yesterday and got some good footage from the top...maybe I'll post it here once I get the editing done on it.

I love Lake Blanche, I think it is the most scenic hike I have done in the area. How did you approach Sundial Peak? Did you go up the ridge on the southwest side? Timpanogos is on my short list for the summer. How was the snow? I went up Mt Raymond a couple weeks ago and took the Mavic. It was pretty windy but I was able to get a few good short clips.

I love Lake Blanche, I think it is the most scenic hike I have done in the area. How did you approach Sundial Peak? Did you go up the ridge on the southwest side? Timpanogos is on my short list for the summer. How was the snow? I went up Mt Raymond a couple weeks ago and took the Mavic. It was pretty windy but I was able to get a few good short clips.

I did Sundial a few years back approaching from the east (left side as you approach it), but the day I shot this video I tried it from the west (right side). I remembered from the east being pretty scary, so I wanted to try the other side this time. 90% of it was really easy, but the last little bit gets kind of steep and exposed. I didn't bring crampons 'cause I wasn't originally planning to summit, so that made it a bit more dicey still. :) I originally snowshoed to the saddle on the main ridge that's south of the summit, but from there it looked crazy 'cause the snow was kind of hard and icy. So I backtracked and attacked the west face a little closer to the summit. Still not great, but it was doable. You'll have to post your Raymond footage, I'd be interested to see it.

Here's a quick video I had put together from the Mt Raymond hike. Unfortunately, I didn't get a lot of footage (only one battery at the time), and it was extremely windy. I was also experimenting with the "landscape" settings for the video and determined I am not a big fan.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes