DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

7.05 Miles: my first endurance test

Lapeer20m

Reactions
37259.7 feet total flight distance.
11356 meters

Did my first endurance test tonight. NWS indicated winds se at 6mph.

I flew due east at approximately 18 mph according to dji go app recording video the entire way and with OA enabled at approximately 130 feet AGL.

flight time was 24:59

battery percentage upon landing was 9%

I was the passenger in a vehicle surrounded by rural farm fields that have occasional tall trees for wind rows. Not one single vehicle was traveling my direction during the entire flight.

File Mar 26, 6 46 19 PM.png

Last edited:
Very impressive. Did you take note of what the RPM was on the RC? I've found that when traveling with the wind, the RPMs tend to be in the 5-6k range. In calm winds, to maintain 15mph, the rpm tends to be around 7k. So you clearly had a tailwind. Neat to see. Thanks for posting.

I did not pay
Very impressive. Did you take note of what the RPM was on the RC? I've found that when traveling with the wind, the RPMs tend to be in the 5-6k range. In calm winds, to maintain 15mph, the rpm tends to be around 7k. So you clearly had a tailwind. Neat to see. Thanks for posting.

I did not pay attention to Rpm.

I did get several warnings about high winds fly with caution, which seemed odd as there was little wind at ground level. I was in an area that is mostly wide open so perhaps the wind speed was higher above 100'.

I'm processing the video now, but there were a few swarms of small birds hat appeared quite interested in the mavic.

I think that the warnings you get are a direct result of the RPM vs. ground speed. The MP knows what the typical motor speed should be for a given ground speed - so if it is using more (or less) than it thinks it should be, it flags it as high wind.

I've seen the same warnings despite having no appreciable wind at the ground. Yet, when flying one direction, it has no problem reaching 40MPH, but the other way, I may only get 25 or 30. The warnings are helpful when you happen to zip away from your home point at 40MPH with no real effort, but don't realize the swim back upstream is going to be significantly slower and require much more battery.

here is the video of the birds....It's too bad i didn't have a camera shooting pictures from the ground. It was fun to watch the birds when they were out of the field of view of the mavic. They did plenty of flying behind, above, and below the mavic. It actually made me a little nervous, I didn't know if they were going to attack.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan