DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

7" tablet that fits in Mavic controller (landscape)

marklyn

Reactions
I have a 7" tablet I use in the kitchen, Nexus 7. With minimal effort and removing the USB cable on the side of the controller arm, it (mostly) fits snugly in the controller arms. If it's powerful enough I'm thinking about using it (or buying another Nexus 7) and using the usb port on the underside of the controller to connect to the tablet.
Was wondering if anyone else out there is using a 7" tablet that also fits snugly and what your results are in the way of screen viewing outside and/or whether or not the tablet meets reasonable expectations in performance.
My tablet (landscape measurement) is 7.87" so that would likely be the absolute largest that fits in the arms.
If I get another tablet, dedicated to the Mavic, I'd get one with a lower version of the OS, seeing that there are less problems that way.

Reactions: kc007
IPad Mini 4 fits fine
Would love to have a iPad mini 4 but don't care for the price to have a dedicated apple product used only for the mavic when everything else I have is android. I'll have to stick with android prices :(

PS, the iPad mini 4 is 8"... my Nexus 7 is 7.87" and it barely fit. I was worried about breaking the controller arm... I'm surprised the iPad mini 4 fit!

Reactions: harryb
Well my Nexus 7 is not going to work. Too much screen lag, guess I will need something with a faster processor. Hopefully I'll hear from a few folks whose tablets fit and they have good screen performance!

Would love to have a iPad mini 4 but don't care for the price to have a dedicated apple product used only for the mavic when everything else I have is android. I'll have to stick with android prices :(

PS, the iPad mini 4 is 8"... my Nexus 7 is 7.87" and it barely fit. I was worried about breaking the controller arm... I'm surprised the iPad mini 4 fit!

I was just as stubborn as you. Finally purchased the iPad mini4 and couldn't be happier.

I'm not saying I won't break and spend the $ but it takes me some time to turn loose of that kind of money for a dedicated tablet. Are you fitting the ipad mini 4 into the controller arms in landscape mode?

I'm not saying I won't break and spend the $ but it takes me some time to turn loose of that kind of money for a dedicated tablet. Are you fitting the ipad mini 4 into the controller arms in landscape mode?
There has been a crap ton of threads on it. The mini4 fits the RC arms easily. It seems to be the absolute max to jam in there.

I to am on the fence about getting one. Same deal, I can't justify the expense to be used just to fly when my S8+ is not as big as I'd like, but fine...except when I get a phone call while trying to manually orbit.

I have a 7" tablet I use in the kitchen, Nexus 7.
Is yours the original 2012 Nexus 7, or the improved 2013 version? The 2012 first one is known not to work, but many people use the 2013 model.

Well my Nexus 7 is not going to work. Too much screen lag, guess I will need something with a faster processor. Hopefully I'll hear from a few folks whose tablets fit and they have good screen performance!
I tried a Galaxy Tab 2 and a Glaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition which is absolutely not a slouch in processing. Maybe it was the large high density display but the maps took forever over a hotspot connection. Plus it still crashed on occasion
So not apples to apples but just an observation that a powerful Android tablet fell flat.

There has been a crap ton of threads on it. The mini4 fits the RC arms easily. It seems to be the absolute max to jam in there.

I to am on the fence about getting one. Same deal, I can't justify the expense to be used just to fly when my S8+ is not as big as I'd like, but fine...except when I get a phone call while trying to manually orbit.
Tablets are useful for other things too y'know ;)
But I do agree there's a certain pucker factor on my wallet when contemplating Apple stuff...
I just couldn't stand squinting at the phone screen anymore. As a bonus I read books and magazines on the Mini...

It's surprising what will fit in the arms when you realise it doesn't have to jam right up to the controller - you can just grip the corners.
Nexus 7 will go in the slot things and fully in place with patience but still very tight like that, but it' a doddle just held on corner using the end of the arms.
2013 nexus 7 works OK here and is on the recommended list.
You don't want anything else much running, and better to have little else installed.
You need a GOOD data cable such as ankar

Is yours the original 2012 Nexus 7, or the improved 2013 version? The 2012 first one is known not to work, but many people use the 2013 model.

It is the 2nd generation, 2013 model. It's just too slow to paint the screen when moving the drone around.

It is the 2nd generation, 2013 model. It's just too slow to paint the screen when moving the drone around.
Try changing USB de-bugging in developer options.
You might have to turn that on (google how).
Different data cable might help too.
It should run the app though admittedly not the fastest.

Try changing USB de-bugging in developer options.
You might have to turn that on (google how).
Different data cable might help too.
It should run the app though admittedly not the fastest.
I tried the USB debugger, no change and used the cable that came with the Mavic, no change. I think the 2nd gen Nexus 7 is just too slooooow to keep up.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy 4G LTE tablet that is 8-1/4" that just squeezes into the controller arms. But the picture is pixilated some of the time and a really sluggish gimbal response and slow shutter release. Are you having similar problems with your tablet? My new Galaxy Edge S-8 works fine but I love the bigger screen of the tablet if I could get it to work properly.

Last edited:
Ny nexus 7 2013 fits without any modification to the existing clamp using the bottom USB connector.
No problems or performance issues (or app crashes) ever.

Ny nexus 7 2013 fits without any modification to the existing clamp using the bottom USB connector.
No problems or performance issues (or app crashes) ever.
Same here with my Nexus 7 2013, has been working fine, although I have a MavMount arriving today to relocate the tablet for better visibility, grip, balance and ability to add a neck lanyard.

My Nexus 7 is dedicated to controlling the Mavic; rooted it, stripped out all apps not necessary for doing that and of course fly in airplane mode to reduce processor load and power consumption.

I know what you mean about phone size, only machine I have that will work, with no lag, black out issues, is my daily phone, Samsung 5. But, screen just to small for these tired eyes. I;m running a Nividia shield on my Phantom 3A, which works perfectly, 100% of the time, but Shield to big for the Mavic holder.
Read allot on tablets & this one stuck out, Acer iconia one, couple of users swear by it as the best android tablet, fits the controller, no lags, etc. But, must be a certain model, with the MedTek processor.
. Well, cruising Canada computers & there it is- Acer iconia one, medtek & on for 92 bucks!
Setting the Acer up today, dedicated to my Mavic, see how it goes

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead