DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

7" tablet that fits in Mavic controller (landscape)

I am using a Samsung Galaxy 4G LTE tablet that is 8-1/4" that just squeezes into the controller arms. But the picture is pixilated some of the time and a really sluggish gimbal response and slow shutter release. Are you having similar problems with your tablet? My new Galaxy Edge S-8 works fine but I love the bigger screen of the tablet if I could get it to work properly.
I'm using a Samsung s2 tablet t713, works marvelous. NevER a problem, except you MUST turn the RC first, then the bird, then the tablet. Works everytime.

I have tried the Galaxy s7, then the nexus 7 (2 nd gen) until I cracked the screen, then the nVidia shield (constant disconnect after firmware upgrade) then the iPad mini 4 wifi only 32 gb and now I use the iPad mini wifi-cell (cause I want the gps) with 64 gb and I could not be happier. I thought it was a lot of cash (even for a used one) but it was the same price as the nVidia and now I use the iPad mini for everything, including posting to this forum. I do not have to turn my stuff on in any particular sequenc before I fly, it does not matter what apps are running. It just works! I love it

I've been using the Acer Iconia One 7 B1-780 for a couple of months now without any problems.
Bought on eBay for £34GBP (approx. $40USD) as a dedicated tablet for Mavic. It fits the controller and has negligible lag.
The only negative points are battery drain if left on standby (I just power off between flights) and screen brightness isn't particularly great (but adequate). But I can't really complain at that price point!

Well, Took my new Acer iconia & loaded up the latest go 4 app & Litchi & went out to my favorite "field".
I must say, the thing is a machine! No noticeable lag at all, no blackouts, no loss of signal, first time for me to fly 2 batteries with no drama!
Went into Litchi waypoints, but couldn't download a mission I'd made up just for my Pro, no mission , no maps, then I realized- I didn't remember to cache maps or download mission to my Mavic, just my P3A, Duh!
So, I made up a 4 point mission, flew till battery warning.
Thanks so much to David, was it? Who originally posted about the Acer 770 or 780, with MedTek processor!!
ps- Acer Iconia one on for -$84.00

Reactions: Abbo69
I'm in the same boat. Looking for an Android tablet that will be dedicated to use with the Mavic. I'm not spending iPad mini money for something like this...plus I'm just not a big fan of Apple. My whole family has iPhones and IPads....except me. I'm just not impressed with their price to performance.

There are several Android tablets that have been reported to work very well with the Mavic: Acer Iconia (cheapest at under $100), the ASUS ZenPad 8 (Z380M version about $130 new) and the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" (The SM-T710 version - under $200 on eBay). That last two are 8" models. Tough to find 7" models that have the horsepower....I'm surprised the Iconia works but it sounds like that might be the best 7" option.

BTW the newest Iconia is the Bi-790-K21X and has an IPS screen. (Around $90 new)

Last edited:
As far as I can tell there are no discernible differences between the Iconia B1-780 and newer B1-790 speciation wise so should work just as well.

As far as I can tell there are no discernible differences between the Iconia B1-780 and newer B1-790 speciation wise so should work just as well.

As noted the B1-790 has an IPS screen where the 780 does not. Make much difference? Who knows....but they are roughly the same price and the IPS should be a better performing screen.

I stand corrected....they both have the IPS screen so I agree there is no apparent difference...no difference in price either.

Last edited:
Tough to find 7" models that have the horsepower....I'm surprised the Iconia works but it sounds like that might be the best 7" option.
My Nexus 7 (2013) is working fine for me; I got it like-new refurbished via eBay for $150 just for the Mavic so I stripped out everything not needed for that purpose and haven't loaded it up with anything not related. It works with Go4, Litchi, Drone Harmony just fine so far, so I'd put it on the list of candidates.

Just added a MavMount that arrived last week, with a neck lanyard - now it's a very comfortable, well-balanced and easy to hold setup. The Nexus will fit into the controller arms, but the MavMount is *far* more comfortable to hold and very solid.

I just purchased the Acer Iconia One 7" Model B1-790 (newest model) for $90 shipped. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm using a Samsung s2 tablet t713, works marvelous. NevER a problem, except you MUST turn the RC first, then the bird, then the tablet. Works everytime.

I have the same tablet (S2 713) and when I try to use it instead of my iphone, the DJI 4 app just takes me to my settings page fo
the Samsung and I can't get out of there to even start to fly. I tried your method on turning on first remote, then bird then tablet
but I still get stuck in the settings page. Any ideas?

I'm running a Samsung Tab4 8inch and it runs perfectly without a hitch or any disconnects. It won't fit in handgrip but have a very compact mount and use a sun shade even though the Tab4 is very bright already. Also have litchi and Drone harmony installed and just use BK Disabler for Samsung to disable and switch between apps.

Make sure to set to usb config, to usb ethernet, then immediately turn off tablet, prior to plugging the tablet into the RC. Hooe tgat works.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman