DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A 360 or Tiny Planet of a snowy Seattle

that's for you to discover lol, i'm on witness protection so all my gps is deleted asap

Also @ff22 thanks for leading the way and taking the time to run me through the ropes. I cant wait to learn more about this and do more of these. Cheers dude!

Reactions: ff22
that's for you to discover lol, i'm on witness protection so all my gps is deleted asap

Also @ff22 thanks for leading the way and taking the time to run me through the ropes. I cant wait to learn more about this and do more of these. Cheers dude!

I try remembering to strip out the gps using Irfanview. If I re-save the image, I have it set to remove geolocation info. There's also a program that can set lat/long to ZERO, if I recall.

The first time I did one, also the Hyper or Super resolution - they take so long and the drone was JUST UP THERE so long. But I really need to find some place interesting to fly and get it further away.

Reactions: Point Zero
I try remembering to strip out the gps using Irfanview. If I re-save the image, I have it set to remove geolocation info. There's also a program that can set lat/long to ZERO, if I recall.

The first time I did one, also the Hyper or Super resolution - they take so long and the drone was JUST UP THERE so long. But I really need to find some place interesting to fly and get it further away.
You have a M2Z, so I cant do Hyper or Super Res images with my M2P I dont think? Now I see how your photo was so crystal clear

It is a built-in feature. When in camera (not video) mode, hit the Setting icon under the shutter button (those little circles with lines). Then you will have three kind of tabs. You want the option to change camera. Hit the photo and then scroll down to Pans. There are a variety. The GLOBE is the 360. It takes a bunch of shots, so it is hovering and moving. It them assembles them.

But what is interesting is that the combined pan looks like the following but when posted to sites that support Tiny Planet or 360 pans, they will show up as they do in Kuula.

Here's the image I uploaded. (not sure why sometimes images are inline and sometimes a link)

Thanks so much for that. I’m going to give it a try tomorrow. Just moved into a new office and a 360 of it would be a fun place to start. If I do a decent job of it I’ll post a link.

Reactions: ff22 and Point Zero
You have a M2Z, so I cant do Hyper or Super Res images with my M2P I dont think? Now I see how your photo was so crystal clear

I presume that the M2P would take as good a 360 as the Zoom, no?

I don't know enough about the differences? I did not do a Super Res as it was quite cold outside and I did not want to tax the drone up that high in the cold taking another set of long time images.

Reactions: Point Zero
I presume that the M2P would take as good a 360 as the Zoom, no?

I don't know enough about the differences? I did not do a Super Res as it was quite cold outside and I did not want to tax the drone up that high in the cold taking another set of long time images.
Absolutely.

Could not get out to capture the snowy scene yesterday as the winds never really let up. So I went out about an hour ago to capture the scene. You can see part of the skyline of downtown to the south and to the north Greenlake contained in, well, Greenlake Park.

360-org_a78d2d0bc9984aa3_1549390076000.

Once again, super image!
I am particularly impressed by how good a stitching job the M2Zoom does. I just tried a pano on my M1Pro today, and I don't think it does any stitching. But I'm OK with using an external stitching app.
I have made numerous 360x180 panos using a DSLR and Nodal Ninja setup, and they turn out great. So I have some experience using dedicated stitching apps.
But here's an observation I have made...
My M1Pro and the M2Zoom both use 12MP cameras, I believe. The focal length of the M1Pro is 28mm; I don't know what that is for the M2Zoom. Also, the M1Pro camera can only tilt upward 30 degrees from the horizon - again, I don't know what that is for the M2Zoom.
So while the M1Pro can easily tilt down to get the ground shot, it cannot tilt all the way to get the zenith (upward) shot. Therefore, the final pano is approx 360x135, not 180 vertically...so the very top of the sky is all black.
Is this also true for the M2Zoom? I'm not sure - but your latest winter shot, while stunning, seems to have a blurry/blended effect at the very top of the sky. I wonder if the drone's software is filling in for the lack of a real 180-degree vertical shot.
This is not a criticism, just an observation. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, like everyone else!

I need to update my above post with something new I just learned.
I think ff22's 360-panos look fantastic, so I wanted to try to get similar results. Of course the only way to learn details about the panorama function of GO4, is right here in this forum, and it took me a while.

I was able to find the pano image I took yesterday and then have the app do the stitching, and surprise - it fills in the missing sky area with a nice soft blue, just as I could see in ff22's pano.
So that pretty much confirms to me that the Mavics cannot produce a 180-degree vertical view by themselves. They can only shoot a 120-degree vertical view. That missing sky needs to be filled in somehow - and the GO4 app does a nice job with that. But the fatal flaw is that it really did a poor job of stitching in general. There's many stitching errors - some very severe.
So using a dedicated stitching app seems to be what I'll need to do.

But there is another member here who shoots additional sky shots from the ground and includes them along with the 34 original shots, and stitches them in Autopano. That's what I want to try next, but I would like to know how he spaces the additional shots (every 60 degrees?) and at what angle does he hold the Mavic, straight up, or at some other angle. Or, maybe just use another point-and-shoot camera with a 4:3 aspect ratio.
I downloaded a demo version of Autopano, so I have a lot of research and trial/error ahead of me.

Thanks for the help and tips, everyone!

But there is another member here who shoots additional sky shots from the ground and includes them along with the 34 original shots, and stitches them in Autopano.
(Snip)
I downloaded a demo version of Autopano, so I have a lot of research and trial/error ahead of me.

Thanks for the help and tips, everyone!

I believe that Kolor, the software folks that sell Autopano, have closed their doors. I have just started with PTgui, and that is working well for me creating panoramas from both my DSLR as well as the dng files from the Mavic Pro

I believe that Kolor, the software folks that sell Autopano, have closed their doors. I have just started with PTgui, and that is working well for me creating panoramas from both my DSLR as well as the dng files from the Mavic Pro

Thanks, UAV Ernst.
I didn't know that Kolor was calling it quits, but stuff happens so quickly anymore.
I have experience with an older version of PTGui, and have also downloaded their newest trial. It's just that the purchase price stings a lot - especially since this is just a hobby, and I don't do a whole lot of panos anymore.

Thanks, UAV Ernst.
I didn't know that Kolor was calling it quits, but stuff happens so quickly anymore.
I have experience with an older version of PTGui, and have also downloaded their newest trial. It's just that the purchase price stings a lot - especially since this is just a hobby, and I don't do a whole lot of panos anymore.
Yes, Autopano was on my list to trial, and before I could act, I saw that they had closed. PTgui (for Mac) at $100 USD isn't inexpensive for hobbyists such as ourselves, but as a Canadian, it was $153 and change (ouch). I get some extra value out of the stitching with the Nikon D800 and the 14-24mm lens where I can take 8 shots plus 1 each for the nadir and zenith, and their PTgui does a terrific (and fast) job!

Yes, Autopano was on my list to trial, and before I could act, I saw that they had closed. PTgui (for Mac) at $100 USD isn't inexpensive for hobbyists such as ourselves, but as a Canadian, it was $153 and change (ouch). I get some extra value out of the stitching with the Nikon D800 and the 14-24mm lens where I can take 8 shots plus 1 each for the nadir and zenith, and their PTgui does a terrific (and fast) job!

Oh, I was looking at the Pro version price of US$223. The standard version is $116. That's easier to do, and the major difference is lack of HDR stitching. I don't need that at the moment, for sure.
Thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez