DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ADVICE ON INEXPENSIVE PHONE/TABLET FOR MAVIC

Merknet

Reactions
Looking for a cheap phone to dedicate to the Mavic. Don't like it using up my iPhone's battery. Any suggestions?

I tried a Samsung Galaxy 7.0 tablet (about 5 years old) but the processor must be too slow. Sluggish and at best screen camera image is frozen or green pixelated. A family member has an old iPhone 4 to give me. Anyone know if that is strong enough??

If not, do I buy new cheap phone or tablet or do I try eBay? Obviously the less money the better. It will solely be for running DJI Go4. Nothing else.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

iPhone 4 is no good...5S minimum.

interesting, I must admit I didn't read the min spec by DJI, but my old iphone 5 (non s) seems to work perfectly. my ipad mini 1st gen however does not work, the Go app wont even allow an install.

The Nvidia Shield is probably as cheap as you can get new with good performance, even more so if you can get a used one.

interesting, I must admit I didn't read the min spec by DJI, but my old iphone 5 (non s) seems to work perfectly. my ipad mini 1st gen however does not work, the Go app wont even allow an install.
Some people have found they can get away with the ipPone 5, but you're likely to run into problems with video lag. iPad Mini 2 is the first of the series that has enough power.
As Kirah has said, the Nvidia Shield K1 is a good option, and is many people's first choice out of the cheaper tablets.

If you get a Nvidia Shield make sure it is the 'K1' processor version, as the older 'Shield' has issues running GO4 also. Brand new on Amazon for $199 or less for used on eBay.

The tablet "old guy" showed in his video is no longer available.

I also have a Kindle Fire HD 8GB. Thoughts? Although its heavy as a brick.

The tablet "old guy" showed in his video is no longer available.

I also have a Kindle Fire HD 8GB. Thoughts? Although its heavy as a brick.

I'm sure you can buy directly from the Manufacturer.. but if you don't like it, it maybe harder to return..

I am using an Acer Iconia One 7 tablet and it has been flawless for 45 flights. Zero lag. Zero issues. $ 50 USD ( Android 5.1 Lolipop )

Looks like it has an 1024x800 display.. the Air7 was 1024x600.. also doesn't seem to have a GPS chip.. but I could be wrong..

Based on their website I think the 800 is a misprint on Amazon, but good call on the GPS....

Sounds like that Acer Iconica is the way to go but if you want a smaller phone I can vouch for the LG K10 LTE. I got it pretty cheap and it works perfectly. No crashes or issues ever from around 25 flights

The Neutab G7 has a GPS chip. Emailed them about the N7s and that was what they recommended.

Did a quick look and they are $ 69 bucks on Amazon. com

Amazon.com : NeuTab® G7 7 inch Unlocked GSM 4G Quad Core Tablet Google Android 5.1 Lollipop OS IPS HD Display Dual Sim Slot : Computers & Accessories

This baby has a GSM chip so you COULD put in a SIM and have cell connection as well. Not needed for operating the Mavvy but the price point is great.

Bottom line is that are some super cheap options out there for dedicated controllers that may not be perfect ie battery life or screen brightness however they get the job done and I remain thrilled with my Acer.

Last edited:
I just got he neutab https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1SE4EP/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I was thinking it should work as well as the 2016 version which I think is the one reviewed above, but I am having second thoughts! This tab is very laggy! I can't understand why that would be so! same specs as older one, but with a slightly higher resolution.

Anyone have any ideas? The tab has very few apps on it and I shutdown any running in background. I really hope I can get this working.

Received my mavic and of course my samsung s3 just won't cut it. I do have a Ellipsis 8 my gf bought me for xmas but i could not get it to fit in the controller, thought i'd have to buy a 7" tablet or a tab mount. After doing some sole searching, (1000$ drone) i made a few very small notches, two on the arm stops and one over the sport button. Now fits like a Apple mini. nice tablet. No lag.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78