DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost crash experience

Domagoj

Reactions
I flew my mavic 2.2 km away from my apartment balcony few days ago. On the way back my phone froze (samsung s7edge). Video feed was working but menus were not accesible. But I needed menus to turn off sensors so I could hand catch mavic because i am not sure balcony is big enough for safe floor landing.
So i had to let Mavic hover while i restart my phone to regain control and switch sensors off. And the battery was low too so that was really nerve wrecking.
I finally rebooted my phone, switched sensors off and flew mavic to my balcony. It was half a meter from my hand , facing back, when RTH suddenly activated so mavic started to fly up to 50 meters which i have set as an RTH altitude. I am not sure where would it even go when it was on the exact spot where it launched?
I panically quickly hit position stick to front cause it was so close to building wall which was probably few inches away from Mavics back. In the same time i switched to sport mode because i did not know will it even react to my commands while it is in RTH mode. I was so glad when i saw mavic succesfully distanced 10 meters from the buliding and i finally managed to land few seconds later.
I think i will never let battery go low again. You never know will your phone work OK or not....

I was vacationing in Hawaii. I drove east to a beautiful scenic point just off the highway. I prepared the Mavic, calibrated the compass and took off. I always pause a few meters above the home point for good measure. About 5 minutes into the flight, the tablet went black. DEAD. I wasn't paying attention to the battery remaining on my tablet. I was using it for GPS around the island. Yes. Totally pilot error! The Mavic was about 700m away and across the highway. It was nearly impossible to see in the setting sun. I pressed "RTH" and watched to see of the distance from me and altitude changed. It climbed to 50m and started heading home! My heart was pounding like a Cherokee drum. RTH saved my Mavic!

When I first got my mavic the phone crashed and the battery was almost empty. You can bring it back manually by reading the distance from you on the controller. You just have to start turning the mavic and watch for the distance values to start decreasing. That's how I got my mavic back in time.

When I first got my mavic the phone crashed and the battery was almost empty. You can bring it back manually by reading the distance from you on the controller. You just have to start turning the mavic and watch for the distance values to start decreasing. That's how I got my mavic back in time.

This sounds like a great exercise to practice on occasion so you are better able to do it under adverse conditions.

I have checked flight log now and it seems strange. RTH point was set 10 meters from my balcony (On top of the tree, off course)
As I have said before, RTH sequence started while mavic was on the reach of my hand, so that means that it was cca 10 meters from RTH location. Battery was on 20%!
Why it decided to RTH when it was in such close proximity with obviously enough battery?
Maybe something went wrong when phone frozed?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78