DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude Zones

Parkerjh

Premium Pilot
Reactions
It used to be red restricted area could not be self-unlocked. But the blue and grey areas, you could get instant unlock.
NOW DJI is calling the grey areas "Altitude Zones" and you have to custom unlock them?!
What a laborious and time consuming pain in the rear.
I really might get an Autel because of this.
I unlock these zones (after getting LAANC) dozens of times a week.
Having to screenshot the approval, fill out a form, submit on DJI and wait for approval is so freaking frustrating.
I have two approvals going on an hour now. That used to take me 30 seconds.
I am beyond frustrated.

Cursor-and-DJI-Fly-Safe.png

I think that applies only if you wish to go above the standard altitude restriction for that area.

I think that applies only if you wish to go above the standard altitude restriction for that area.
Oh that's great if true. I was thrown when I went to do a self-unlock the other day and the everything was different. The map made it appear that the blue areas could get an instant unlock but those altitude zones needed a custom unlock regardless of altitude. I'll give it a whirl today. Thanks

DJI is calling the grey areas "Altitude Zones" and you have to custom unlock them?!
You can fly under those grey Altitude Zones extending in fan-shapes off the ends of runways as long as you don't exceed the altitude restriction. The first one, nearest the end of the runway, is usually something like 60m (~200ft), and the further one out is 150m (~500ft).

A custom unlock is only required if you have a valid need to fly into those zones.

If you are flying below that height in those areas, you might get a warning message telling you that the Altitude Zone is there. If you try to ascend up into that Geo zone, or are already flying higher than that and try to enter into the zone from either side, then the DJI Geo fence will stop your drone at the boundary of the Altitude Zone.

Just like any other DJI Geo zone, you always need to be aware of where those are located and how they function. If you happen to lose control signal and your automatic RTH tries to climb up into, or return through, such a Geo Zone, the drone will be blocked at the edge of the Geo Zone until low battery forces it to land. It might never come home. So always check your RTH settings and path, so the drone doesn't cross any Geo Zone that might block its return.

I tried to unlock an altitude zone near my home and it said I had to upload supporting document(s). I had no idea what that might be so I asked DJI. Here's the reply I got: "It is unnecessary to submit an Authorization document for this area (please upload a blank file to proceed)." This would be to exceed the "altitude restriction" listed on FLY SAFE. So I created a pdf that just said "Please unlock this zone" and uploaded it as part of the request. DJI says I should get an answer in an hour......we'll see.
Meanwhile, I can't find anywhere else that lists or even dictates these zones. It's not on the sectionals, airport description, or in SkyVector. So where did DJI get these? At my nearby Class D airport the outer limit is at 300ft in the Class D area but the Altitude Zone that extends beyond that is listed at 60m.....it makes no sense. I'll report back here when I get my next response from DJI. The outer ones are 150m which is higher than 400ft so it would only affect me if I was inspecting a tower or tall building. (Yes, Pt107)

The saga continues. No e-mails or anything from DJI but I finally went back into FlySafe and found the request was rejected. Reason given was I submitted it as a Zone Unlock instead of a Custom Unlock. So I resubmitted one as a custom unlock in an altitude zone they limit to 60m. I asked for 300ft which is what the nearest blocks in the Class D area closer to the airport will allow. We'll see how that goes.....

Wow!!! In about 20 minutes, the application was approved and an unlocking license sent to the controller. Thanks to ParkerJH for the question. Now I know to request this in advance. I still don't know where these zones come from but at least I know how to deal with them if needed.

Wow!!! In about 20 minutes, the application was approved and an unlocking license sent to the controller. Thanks to ParkerJH for the question. Now I know to request this in advance. I still don't know where these zones come from but at least I know how to deal with them if needed.

I have had a few take only 5-10 minutes while others I waited over an hour. I just took a screenshot of the LAANC approval but good to know I don't need to bother with that step. In any event, it is annoying to have to do it at all

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark