DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Always forgetting to remove the **** gimbal lock

Another advantage of putting a visible strap on the clamp is that you are able to find the thing easier when you put it down. That clear plastic is hard to see

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: MavicMo and Pete
I don't think it really needs it unless you're doing something where it's really banging around.
However, I thought... why not. Couldn't hurt, right? So I started using the clamp.
Well, after forgetting to take it off 3 times in a row... I thought to myself, that can't be good. I guess it CAN hurt. I think I'm better off just letting it dangle.

I don't have mine yet, but I ordered one of the bright red 3D printed gimbal locks that mounts over the camera lens. That one is pretty hard to miss and is brightly colored enough to remind me to remove it even while sitting on my couch while playing with settings (probably the most common scenario where the clamp is forgotten).

Like some people have suggested you don't need to use it all the time. I only use it if I am storing the Mavic for a couple of weeks or packing it in a backpack to catch a flight.

Try that and you won't get so mad at yourself ;-)

Interesting thread. Think about it..... even the existence of the 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' tags is based on the notion that we need cue's to remind us during walk around to uncover certain pieces of critical equipment. I think having a ribbon/tag on the clamp is a great idea. For me, it is very easy to remember to remove it before flight because it is part of the pre-flight routine. Where I get tripped up (like others here) is when I just want to turn it on to pull some DAT files or do a firmware upgrade. I don't even have the remote on so I don't see a gimbal error but eventually the LED on the back starts flashing and the beeper squawks.

In the end, do whatever works for you. As a full size pilot, we live (and die) by the use of a check list and 'remove before flight' tags because the notion of remembering everything 100% during a pre-flight and walk around under all conditions (including the usual interruption by line crew etc) is ridiculous.

In the excitement or the rush to get airborne, things can be forgotten. If you ever get the chance to visit a military base, check out the combat aircraft sitting on the runway. All kinds of warnings and streamers on doors and lock pins that need to be checked or removed before flight. Twenty years in the Air Force taught me that you do whatever it takes to get things right.

johnf
I agree, On my bird in the Army I had no less than 4 flight safety streamers to remove as part of the pre-flight. Everything was done 'By the numbers' so as not to overlook any detail, one reason why the military has so few crashes in spite of the huge amount of stick time. I use a red streamer, why, not so much because I am worried about harming the gimbal as it has protections built in, but I don't want to get in the air and find I can't move the camera because I forgot the **** lock.

I don't know what it is about me, but I seem to forget to remove the **** gimbal lock more times than not. Does anyone have any tips to help me remember? A "remove before flight" flag or perhaps just actually going over my preflight checklist? What do you use to help you remember?
I mean, the apps even give you a visual error about the gimbal being overloaded. It amusing how people need a tab to remember to remove it.

My advise, this first thing to do after pulling up your Mavic is to remove the gimbal cover and lock, then pull out all the legs.
Easy to do, easy to remember. Foolproofed.

Always remove before powering up not just preflight . How about 30 minute update.
All my phantoms had a gimbal clamp should be second nature

Sent from my SM-T713 using MavicPilots mobile app

I use a ribbon as a reminder and a Pre-Flight Checklist. I'll compare this to my 5th Wheel Camper.....the worst thing that can happen is the driver hitches up but forgets to lock the hitch shut. Then he drives off and the camper comes slamming down on the bed causing damage and dents to both the truck and camper. It happens all the time and to the best of them, but this mistake will cost more than a Mavic.

One key camping rule is don't come to say hello or talk until I'm done hitching or unhitching...no distractions needed at that time. Same thing with the Mavic when you have a bunch of folks with you. It's easy to get distracted.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Unless I am travelling a long way, I do not reinstall the gimbal lock. Just the cover. Any thoughts from the group on if this is such a bad practice? My thoughts were the risk of that burning up the board is greater to me than the risk of damaging it by not being on. If there is enough force applied to have it damaged, then I have bigger issues handling the Mavic than the gimbal lock.

Good luck!

Same here. I only put it on when I'm traveling and think there's a chance it's going to get bumped around more than I'd like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Slantnose79
I mean, the apps even give you a visual error about the gimbal being overloaded. It amusing how people need a tab to remember to remove it.

My advise, this first thing to do after pulling up your Mavic is to remove the gimbal cover and lock, then pull out all the legs.
Easy to do, easy to remember. Foolproofed.
That error on the screen is telling you that the gimbal motor is trying to move and cannot. This is not good on the motor and done enough times will eventually lead to a motor failure. I am sure this error is also stored in the flight logs and would likely void any type of warranty claim as they will say it waster error.

Personally, after the first few flights it has become second nature to remove the gimbal lock and the flag is not really needed but it does bring back some nostalgia from my time in the USMC working on the F/A-18 fighter jets and all of the "Remove before Flight" covers we used. It also serves as a reminder to anyone else who may be using the drone and is not as intimately familiar with it as I.

I don't know what it is about me, but I seem to forget to remove the **** gimbal lock more times than not. Does anyone have any tips to help me remember? A "remove before flight" flag or perhaps just actually going over my preflight checklist? What do you use to help you remember?
I always turn mine upside down to open up the prop arms, at the same time I remove the cover & lock as it this point it is more visible

Go to the hardware store and get some neon green or yellow spray paint and paint your gimble lock. Didn't like it was clear....

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: Mavic_Ward

use a flight checklist before each flight.

21722d7eaee754743837228931c33b0d.jpg
484c7dfc03420584fae3ad2f35b6fe5a.jpg

My solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the Dynamic 3D Sol'n printed gimbal lock almost since day one. I leave on my Taco RC filter and the clamp lightly holds everything in place...plus it's right in front of me and I can't miss it...it's red and right in front of the lens. Works for me!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure