DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Amazon camera scam going on be carful people

DroneJI

Reactions
I have myself had many issues with Amazon because they have grown so large that bad things are happening! Because of the lack of human interaction during most steps of a purchase! This story I just came across is worse than anything that has ever happened to me but this guy got burned for a $6000.00 camera Twice! It could happen with drones or any high value item! Yes amazon will eventually fix it but you may be out a lot of money until their investigation is over and you may want to Video the opening of any package you received from amazon for your protection! The worst thing I have had happened was a empty package! A $500 tablet. Here’s the YouTube video this guy is a know radio personality and was burned Twice!

1. That device is not sold by Amazon. It's sold by a third-party reseller that sends the packages to Amazon
2. I've had a bad thing come from Amazon, such as when I ordered a Phantom 4 high capacity battery and got a dead regular capacity battery. I got refunded as soon as I dropped the package off. There was no time with investigations
3. It's really not that difficult to wrap an open box with the plastic wrap. Just buy the proper machine, boom.

Last edited:
This buyer got burned but he did not practice any due diligence. He bought a camera for about $2000 less than any other listing, from a seller with ZERO reviews, listed as new. Has no return address, no web site, no other listings. If you google the seller, he doesn't exist.

A clear case of an online scam.

One needs to be cautious. Only buy from stores that have reputable reviews and a number you can call.

A little more money is worth avoiding the problems this guy is facing.

I have myself had many issues with Amazon because they have grown so large that bad things are happening! Because of the lack of human interaction during most steps of a purchase! This story I just came across is worse than anything that has ever happened to me but this guy got burned for a $6000.00 camera Twice! It could happen with drones or any high value item! Yes amazon will eventually fix it but you may be out a lot of money until their investigation is over and you may want to Video the opening of any package you received from amazon for your protection! The worst thing I have had happened was a empty package! A $500 tablet. Here’s the YouTube video this guy is a know radio personality and was burned Twice!
I have never had a problem with amazon, but this thread doesn't belong on this site.

I have never had a problem with amazon, but this thread doesn't belong on this site.

I only posted it because it’s a expensive camera and the drones are cameras. If this is happening with Canon it could happen with Dji and anything of high value. Also it’s in the off topic section! I made sure it was a legitimate story before posting it. Amazon doesn’t check the contents of what third party sellers are sending to them.

Reactions: Flycaster
1. That device is not sold by Amazon. It's sold by a third-party reseller that sends the packages to Amazon
2. I've had a bad thing come from Amazon, such as when I ordered a Phantom 4 high capacity battery and got a dead regular capacity battery. I got refunded as soon as I dropped the package off. There was no time with investigations
3. It's really not that difficult to wrap an open box with the plastic wrap. Just buy the proper machine, boom.

True it was a prime listing Amazon doesn’t Verifly products they hold for Third party sellers it could even happen to sold by amazon if the shipment was tampered with at some point.

This buyer got burned but he did not practice any due diligence. He bought a camera for about $2000 less than any other listing, from a seller with ZERO reviews, listed as new. Has no return address, no web site, no other listings. If you google the seller, he doesn't exist.

A clear case of an online scam.

One needs to be cautious. Only buy from stores that have reputable reviews and a number you can call.

A little more money is worth avoiding the problems this guy is facing.

Amazon is not immune from this happening his first clue would have been the shrink wrap was all wrong! When I got my T4i over 3 years ago it had a softer plastic that stuff was like window film, but the fact that it was prime gives people a false sense of security, things like this are so easy to pull off a truck with The cameras could have been tampered with before it even made it to Amazon this could happen to a shipments of Dji drones! Can you imagine buying a” Dji Inspire 2” and finding rocks in the box? Regardless of who the seller is! It could happen now that this is public more caution needs to be taken copy cats are everywhere!

Why I love Amazon and Costco? Customer Service! It is beyond what anyone else can offer. When they manage to ship /sell billions of items (which is not the case here, as it was market place order) errors/mistakes could happen. Everything has % error what is theirs? I first make sure that amazon is the seller if not it has to be a well established market seller or cover by prime.

I've been burned in the opposite direction!!

I purchased a Sony camera - £400.
Had issue so decided to return.
Amazon said to drop of at the closest drop-off point, which was a shop not too far from me. This was THEIR PREFERRED PARTNER - a courier that Amazon asked me to drop my parcel off with!

Wrapped package back up as new, in original shipping box, securely wrapped with parcel tape etc. Labelled the box up and off I went.
Dropped off the package, and obtained a receipt - all done.

A few days later I received an email from Amazon stating they had received the package and would process a refund only after I return the camera?!
Contacted customer services by phone and explained I have already sent it to them - they said they could not help and I had to email the correct department - email only, not phone!!

Hence I emailed and received a response stating they received a mug in the box, not a camera?!
It seems someone along the return line (I blame the store I dropped it off to) opened the package up, took the camera, and replaced it with a mug!!

After threats of contacting my card company for a chargeback etc, Amazon finally refunded me in full. I followed their instruction and dropped off to their recommended courier after all.

Now I always return any items via a reputable courier that I trust - even if its at extra cost!!

Reactions: DroneJI
The title of this thread is misleading. It should be titled "If it's too good to be true it probably is." Or, "There's a sucker born every minute."

Mark

Reactions: Kilrah and shamus
I just had a similar situation with Amazon. I bought an Apple SD card reader for my iPad so that I can import my Mavic footage while traveling. I bought directly from Amazon (not a third-party seller) and received a fake device packaged in a reproduced Apple box. I returned it and they sent me another fake device to replace it. I finally just ordered it from Apple and got a genuine product. Definitely disappointing from Amazon.

This is disturbing as I just today as well, got a shipment from Amazon, a remote control with two transmitters I planned to use to set off a hog trap. The item is labelled the same as what I ordered but it clearly has different remotes that don't have the antennas as shown in their ad for long-range. I've immediately requested a return. That is very concerning and affects my confidence in products ordered. Imagine ordering a drone, like I have done, and getting bricks.

I'm glad you posted this story. I've used Amazon Prime and never gave a thought that anything like this would/could happen, and fortunately, hasn't happened.
However, after reading this, I'll be more attentive to the purchase. Looking to see if a participating company is involved, how are their reviews and number of sales they've participated in with Amazon, and their return policy and accessibility.
I've been way to lax about these things in the past. And that's probably exactly what these scammers and thieves are counting on! Been lucky so far - not going to give them a chance the future.

I would be a little wary of a discount like that. I use PayPal for most things...Not Amazon, but with Amazon anytime I have requested a refund..I have got the money BEFORE I even mailed the product back. Thats right..before. I trust Amazon. Theres a lotta people on this planet I dont trust but with Paypal and or Mazon, I have no problems. Sorry to hear about your experience. I guess the 3rd party deal is what screwed the pooch in this case. Live and learn, huh,. Expensive lesson tho.

I once ordered an expensive camera, delivered to work for safety and when I opened the sealed box there at my desk it was EMPTY. I had to call the local police to come by and make a report. I always recommend paying with a credit card or PayPal as they will back you up. The thieves are always looking for their opportunity for sure. When I got my drone from China I asked the UPS delivery guy to wait while I opened it in front of him, as a witness, to be sure the drone was in the box.

I just had a similar situation with Amazon. I bought an Apple SD card reader for my iPad so that I can import my Mavic footage while traveling. I bought directly from Amazon (not a third-party seller) and received a fake device packaged in a reproduced Apple box. I returned it and they sent me another fake device to replace it. I finally just ordered it from Apple and got a genuine product. Definitely disappointing from Amazon.

I had also received fake items from amazon they don’t check everything they sell, I think they look for items that are hot selling items and grab what they can! I got out of being a market place seller because amazon was like dealing with the mafia (seriously) my wife had stuff for a Hallmark store here parents closed and I put it all on amazon when certain holidays come around amazon takes certain 3rd party items offline till the holidays are over, I could have kept them up there under 2 conditions 1 ship them to a fulfillment center (and pay amazon storage) or 2 pay a monthly fee to become a “Preferred seller “ either way amazon wanted to make money off these items and they kept 3rd party sellers from profiting.

Also amazon moderates reviews preventing certain details from being posted about bad experiences like this! Every time I had a bad experience with a product that was broken or missing amazon rejected it! And said to it went against there review policy! You have to talk about the product and a missing item is off topic, they know how to protect themselves from issues like this!

Here’s another flaw with amazon that scares me and explains why I have received something other than what I ordered example (1000’ of Cat 5 cable and received Photo Frames?) these photos are about reviews not linked to the correct product, I’m sure this happens with what’s shown for sale not being what’s really in their system and the wrong item is purchased,IMG_0396.JPGIMG_0397.JPGIMG_0398.JPG
Several things I noticed the reviews are for landing gear! The product is a lanyard for the RC, and what’s odd is in one photo the DJI logo is blurred out but another it’s clear?

I just found the future of Amazon! If you have Amazon Prime watch Phillip K. D.i.c.k’.s ( Had to put periods in the Forum Bot doesn’t like then Word Rooster :) ) Electric Dreams Season 1 Episode 2 Autofac. This I think is a remake of a UK show so the episodes are not the same as the original! This Episode is scary (Science Fiction Always Comes True in One form or Another) it has Drones delivering merchandise, automated Factories basically one company rules everything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman