DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android TV Stick

Well, some good and some not so good news. I managed to install DJI GO4 on X96S stick but it must be downloaded as .apk and installed from internal memory. App is not visible in store. App does start up and shows ok on screen but I was unable to connect it to remote/aircraft. I was using the DJI charging cable (plus that small USB-C to micro USB adapter) between stick USB and remote micro USB port. I do not have a proper USB cable to test the other USB port from remote, but as soon as I have it, I will test.

Your connection won't work. The RC must be in OTG mode. A regular micro USB cable won't do that.
I bet you you're connecting to a standard size USB A port on the stick.
You must connect mode A (host) to mode B (device). You can't connect A to A, except with native USB C.
Basically you're trying to plug a wall AC outlet into a wall AC outlet except for data.

Is there a mini or micro USB on the stick? That's what you need to connect to as that would be a B. That's assuming such port is not just for power.

On the remote, use the bottom full size A port with nothing on the side port, or at least not the short cable.

With the Mini remote not having a bottom port, you'll be seeing custom cables for sale that will do the same as the included short cables but longer to accommodate tablets. Drone Valley has them 30cm long.

Last edited:
Somehow I crossed you looking for Go in Play for Fly. Go definitely should show up, unless Play realizes Go is definitely not suitable for the stick.

There is a micro USB on the stick but it is used to power it. I don't know if the data lines are connected but I will check.

That's quite possible it's only for power, but that's the form factor normally used for an inbound data connection. Stick has to be a device rather than accepting connection to one.

I just tried with a USB cable with A at both ends, connected to the other remote port and stick. Still does not work, but I'm not dropping it yet. There are still few paths to explore.

You can't connect mode A to mode A. You can only connect mode A to mode B.
Remote has to be in A mode using bottom port, or micro-OTG cable on side port.
You have to then connect to the stick on a port in B mode, if it even has one. Stick is the display device receiving data, it MUST be B.
The large rectangular USB port can only be A. Trapezoidal micro USB port is usually B mode, but if connected with an OTG cable that has pin 4 grounded, it signals the device to go to A mode if it's capable.
The small rectangular micro USB port on the side of the remotes are A ports but only go to A mode if pin 4 is grounded. A regular trapezoidal micro plug will physically fit in a micro A port so that allows the side port to go to B mode to receive charge power, and respond to a PC.

Thanks for info.
I tried another approach. I used the usb3.0 A-A cable to connect the stick usb-a connector to a 5v power supply (1.5a phone charger) hoping to power the stick and keep the microusb port free. That one is usually connected to power. The stick does power on and works fine, dji go app starts, until I plug the mavic remote. The stick resets. I am not sure why, maybe the remote draws some power from stick and the power supply is unable to keep them all.
On the other hand, I connected the stick to the PC using its microusb port only, hoping to find if data lines from that power port are connected. They are, win10 sees it initially as 'ADB device' and after it loads some drivers, the name changes to 'faraday'.

OK, if the stick micro works with a PC, then use a standard USB micro cable with A to bottom RC port, micro to micro port on stick. Think of RC as if it were a PC.

It could be though the stick only provides proprietary functions on the micro port that only the PC can take advantage of.

From your description, the micro port on stick is B, not A. If it receives power and acts like a device rather than a PC, it's B. If trapezoid in shape, intended as B.

Doesn't work that way either. Mavic remote from usb a to stick micro usb alone, it won't power on. If I also put power on stick's usb a from a phone charger, it does power on but with mavic remote connected, it keeps resetting.

From usb cable, it's the only connection. Apparently mavic remote does not put enough power through the same cable. There is a led on the stick which turn bright blue when stick works correctly in other configurations. But when connected to remote only, led is lit very weak the stick does not boot.

PC probably won't put out more power than RC, 500mA. But stick may go lower power when connected to PC for maintenance.

Make a special cable yourself from 2 normal cables, one would carry just power, the other just data. To do this, splice 2 existing cables, connect the ground (usually black) from all 3 sides together, feed the Vbus from just one connector into the stick (usually red) and the data from another. Leave the Vbus line on the "data" side unconnected. Leave the data lines on the "power' side unconnected.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661