DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Drone Bad story in the media

Sounds like the drone operator nearly caused several hundred fatalities. Operator error and stupidity.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Yes, if it was a drone then the operator is indeed culpable. Yes there are idiots out there. However, it happening "over a primary school" is blatant scaremongering, trying to make a worst case scenario of a plane being brought down in a built up area seem even worse (like it wasn't bad enough).

Unless the primary school has a campus area in the square miles then a collision happening over it ain't going to result in the plane dropping on it. Simple physics.

Hysteria on drones is the order of the day in the press. As you were.

Yes, if it was a drone then the operator is indeed culpable. Yes there are idiots out there. However, it happening "over a primary school" is blatant scaremongering, trying to make a worst case scenario of a plane being brought down in a built up area seem even worse (like it wasn't bad enough).

Unless the primary school has a campus area in the square miles then a collision happening over it ain't going to result in the plane dropping on it. Simple physics.

Hysteria on drones is the order of the day in the press. As you were.
I believe the school is in range of the commercial airport, and the plane was landing. It was coming over the school when the pilot nearly hit the drone hovering above the school as well. So it won't necessarily drop on the school but the plane will hit something else. If it was that low, it was probably near the runway already, considering it's a class B airspace.

I believe the school is in range of the commercial airport, and the plane was landing. It was coming over the school when the pilot nearly hit the drone hovering above the school as well. So it won't necessarily drop on the school but the plane will hit something else. If it was that low, it was probably near the runway already, considering it's a class B airspace.
It's a wonder the newspaper isn't offering the primary school element as "drone operators are paedos" to be honest. Small UAV and plane colliding is not good, but would most probably not be catastrophic.

It's a wonder the newspaper isn't offering the primary school element as "drone operators are paedos" to be honest. Small UAV and plane colliding is not good, but would most probably not be catastrophic.
Would be if it got sucked into an engine. The blades turn the drone into shrapnel and will act like a grenade just blew in the engine causing the turbine to blow. Did you know that something as simple as a shoe can cause an engine to blow? Ash causes the engine to overheat and blow.

https://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?rtp=adr.~pos.33.5619354248047_-86.752067565918_5900+Messer+Airport+Hwy,+Birmingham,+AL+35212_Birmingham-Shuttlesworth+International+Airport_(205)+595-0533

This is the only school I can see that shoots relatively straight to the run way if a plane were landing. However, it does not explain why the plan is that low still so far out of the landing pad though.

EDIT: It would appear the link doesn't fill in the from address. If that happens to you use "2015 Park Pl, Birmingham, AL 35203"

https://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?rtp=adr.~pos.33.5619354248047_-86.752067565918_5900+Messer+Airport+Hwy,+Birmingham,+AL+35212_Birmingham-Shuttlesworth+International+Airport_(205)+595-0533

This is the only school I can see that shoots relatively straight to the run way if a plane were landing. However, it does not explain why the plan is that low still so far out of the landing pad though.

EDIT: It would appear the link doesn't fill in the from address. If that happens to you use "2015 Park Pl, Birmingham, AL 35203"

Pretty sure this didn't happen in the USA, but the UK.....

Would be if it got sucked into an engine. The blades turn the drone into shrapnel and will act like a grenade just blew in the engine causing the turbine to blow. Did you know that something as simple as a shoe can cause an engine to blow? Ash causes the engine to overheat and blow.
They used to test aircraft gas turbines by firing 4lb chickens (not live, but supermarket dead variety) into them with a pneumatic cannon, Don't think it's chickens nowadays, but still 4lb, so gas turbines are fairly tough. Landing, the revs will be way down too... I'm not being an apologist for the arse that's ruining our hobby, he needs locking up, unless of course it was a false sighting.. Ash will turn back to stone in the combustion chambers and clog it up, so it'll just stop, not 'blow'.

They used to test aircraft gas turbines by firing 4lb chickens (not live, but supermarket dead variety) into them with a pneumatic cannon, Don't think it's chickens nowadays, but still 4lb, so gas turbines are fairly tough. Landing, the revs will be way down too... I'm not being an apologist for the arse that's ruining our hobby, he needs locking up, unless of course it was a false sighting.. Ash will turn back to stone in the combustion chambers and clog it up, so it'll just stop, not 'blow'.
I think there might be a difference in firing 4 lbs of soft meat vs 2 pounds of hard metal and plastic. It's not the volume of stuff that hurts but rather how hard the matter is. Thinking of this way, and exploding chicken is not as deadly as an exploding drone, or grenade. For a grenade, it's the shrapnel that kills, not the explosion.

A LiPo battery is not the same chemically as explosives used in a grenade, and if chewed up would not explode. If a Mavic sized drone got sucked into an engine, it is fairly likely to cause it to fail. However, most planes have more than one engine. I agree that idiots need taken to task for putting people in unnecessary danger, however my point is that there is a media agenda to portray UAVs as bad, not the cretin at the controls at any of the given incidents.

It needs a bit of balance.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes