DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Antenna wire inside Mavic (right front arm)

mlash

Reactions
While modding the Mavic body (drilling some holes) for the Hard Wire to external batteries, I rubbed one of the antenna wires with the drill bit (just ever so slightly) and exposed some wire. Is there a way to repair with maybe some tinfoil and tape or does it even need to be tended to? I did a flight today (3 miles out) and it seemed to be doing fine but the signal just didn't seem to be as strong (maybe just in my head) as it was before! Thanks for the help!

Reactions: flyinlow
OK! Hold on though, I have to take it back apart to get some pics. I will post them soon! I wanted to take it back apart anyway to get some pics of the mod. I was in a rush last night so it would be ready to fly this morning (that's probably why I screwed it up).

Yeah that's an antenna wire for sure. Here is a better pick. Yes, it does still fold up. I ran them out like that so I can use a top mount and mount batteries on the bottom as well. It works great.

IMG_20170820_1632071.jpg

From working on my Phantoms I have done damage to wires before and it was just to the outer cover and had not went through the shielding to the inner wire. I just used some small heat shrink tubing and a hair dryer and fixed it. There it looks like you would have to unsolder to do it then resolder.
Never been inside of my mavic so maybe @Thunderdrones
would be best to tell you.

Reactions: superdave5050
From working on my Phantoms I have done damage to wires before and it was just to the outer cover and had not went through the shielding to the inner wire. I just used some small heat shrink tubing and a hair dryer and fixed it.
Yeah that's what I'll do. It's an antenna wire so I can just disconnect it, heat shrink and re-attach. Hopefully that will take care of it. Thanks for you help.

Reactions: dirkclod
Good luck and wasn't thinking it just plugs in .Thumbswayup

Yeah that's what I'll do. It's an antenna wire so I can just disconnect it, heat shrink and re-attach. Hopefully that will take care of it. Thanks for you help.

Nooo, Mlash unsolder a perfectly good factory wire to fix a little exposure?

Just put some liquid wire on it. Several have used that for these mods.

I think unsoldering it is a bad idea. It's barely visible.

Like others have stated, just insulate that exposed part. It doesn't look like it's done any appreciable damage to the conductor.

I'd be (much) more concerned about the fire waiting to happen with the positive battery wire that appears to have a cold solder joint so close to the battery negative wire, along with the small amount of clearance between the positive wires and the negative. Those wires are way larger than they need to be anyway. Why not go to a smaller gauge wire that can better fit on the posts, your soldering tool can better heat up, and will provide more clearance between adjacent posts? Or maybe even just run one pigtail off the post, then 'Y' to the two battery connectors with shrink sleeving to insulate the splice.

-Rod

Reactions: MrsTreat
I'd be (much) more concerned about the fire waiting to happen with the positive battery wire that appears to have a cold solder joint so close to the battery negative wire,
Not Cold, soldier is flowing. It only appears looks that way in the pic. Your looking at the top. Most of the joint is behind the wire it is stacked on. Also, already tested, and soldier joints don't arc unless they touch each-other.

Not wanting to be negative, but that solder joint is indeed bad. It looks like maybe your iron isn't getting hot enough. I would reterminate that wire, tin the wire properly to eliminate the stray wire strands, and re-solder with a higher watt iron (40+) that has a clean and tinned tip. That wire will experience heating cycles as well as significant G loading and vibration during use. It's a problem waiting to happen IMO.

A "cold" solder joint is sort of a misnomer. The solder got hot enough to melt some, but not quite hot enough to where all the solder at the terminal melted together.

I have soldered quite a bit in my days and I just have to agree with @SHORod and @BuzzyOne

That looks like a problem just waiting to happen. I wouldn't take the risk. Especially since it's an easy fix.

Good luck

Reactions: lotpb
omg.jpg

No doubt....a great deal of issues here.

#1 speaks for itself.
#2 is has obvious heat issues(no soldering flux either).
#3 it doesn't take much vibration for the pointy strands to cut their way through and ground themselves out.

I have seen much better soldering work then what is shown above fail. Those that have voiced their opinions are only try to help. You really do have a mess on your hands.

Reactions: Vallim and SHORod
View attachment 20794
No doubt....a great deal of issues here.
#1 speaks for itself.
#2 is has obvious heat issues(no soldering flux either).
#3 it doesn't take much vibration for the pointy strands to cut their way through and ground themselves out.
I have seen much better soldering work then what is shown above fail. Those that have voiced their opinions are only try to help. You really do have a mess on your hands.

Yes, you are right. But I was really only worried about the antenna wire not any of the soldier joints!:cool:

Again, I was in a huge hurry, I used 14 gauge instead of 16 so I knew I was going to redo at a later date and I did (pic below). I had just taken my "clip mod" off so the residual soldier had not been removed yet and the joints were fine, agreed, not the best job but served the purpose for the test! However, I was only posting to find out if anyone thought that the "Antenna Wire" should be changed or not. I have since found out that the antenna wire is fine. I took @dirkclod 's advise (cover it) and I wrapped it with some copper foil, taped it and have not had any issues with it (did a 4 mile out flight today).

I respect everyone's opinion on the board and welcome all help that I can get! Thanks!Thumbswayup

IMG_20170825_1600461.jpg

Reactions: dirkclod
The antenna wire is just a tiny plug that plugs onto board at back of drone but you need to remove the bottom to access it, if you dont want to do that to put a small piece of heat shrink on it then a small dab off hot melt glue on the affected spot will also do the job just fine.

So how about posting your new flightimes? Im thinking about this mod myself but, only if it warrants 30mins+ of total time.

Yes, you are right. But I was really only worried about the antenna wire not any of the soldier joints!:cool:

Again, I was in a huge hurry, I used 14 gauge instead of 16 so I knew I was going to redo at a later date and I did (pic below). I had just taken my "clip mod" off so the residual soldier had not been removed yet and the joints were fine, agreed, not the best job but served the purpose for the test! However, I was only posting to find out if anyone thought that the "Antenna Wire" should be changed or not. I have since found out that the antenna wire is fine. I took @dirkclod 's advise (cover it) and I wrapped it with some copper foil, taped it and have not had any issues with it (did a 4 mile out flight today).

I respect everyone's opinion on the board and welcome all help that I can get! Thanks!Thumbswayup

View attachment 20798
This is better. Is it your pic?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Va1entin