DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Survives Head-On Collision!

Captain Spock

Reactions
I was flying a mission and I started shifting back and forth between FPV and WP and got confused . . . at the wrong time in flight. Ran head-on into a wall of my house and cracked the nose fuselage. No visible damage to the camera, gimbal, or props! (Whew.) Test flight ok! So, a little Super Glue and a variety of clamps, elevated rubber bands, etc later . . . a little ugly but I flew several missions today and my mini 2 performed just fine. Before/after repair images attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0542.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
Sorry but the drone did NOT survive the crash, the main structural shell is broken and the drone is not safe.

The broken shell is a structural item and it has a blooming great break in it. I would not consider gluing an acceptable repair, others may do but I would be worried about the grip of any adhesive on the plastic of the shell, I suspect that any glue that does get a good, permanent grip will have had to 'dissolve' the plastic in some way.
Without question I would replace part of the shell.
Aside from that consideration you have no idea of what other damage has been done.
Case in point, I crashed an m2z.
Visible damage, a dented nose cone and probably broken props. In the end it took three rebuilds to find all the hidden damage and a while back I spotted that I had crumpled a ventilation grill whilst replacing a rear arm, I have yet to straighten that.
I am all for DIY repairs and the m2z carries two of them but a major break in that part of the shell or a crack in an arm would mean replacing the damaged part for me.

That aside as the drone is an aircraft and its airworthiness is compromised you might be in hot water if it hit someone.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark