DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any good app that shows Canadian restrictions?

No I'm using android.
So you're saying that you don't see the info as seen in the photos below? That information does not concur with the info published on the Transport Canada site mentioned earlier.

All I'm saying is that this, for me, makes Airmap unreliable as a tool for determining where
I can fly.

Screenshot_20180501-212901_AirMap.jpegScreenshot_20180501-213101_AirMap.jpeg

You are flying your drone under an SFOC exemption issued by Transport canada? If you are not why are you following their rules? SFOC operators follow a much stricter rule set than a recreational drone user. And yes that requires them to be at the 9km and 5.5km distances

I do not fly under as an SFOC operator. And I never stated I was flying under an SFOC exemption and do not fall under those specifications, neither does the OP. You said the airmap info was not accurate, For a recreational flyer according to the interim rules in play right now it is. And it's more accurate than the govt site (the last time I checked).

Also you should never trust just one source or even an app for determining where to fly. I have gone through a lot of apps, government sites and online information and there is not just one source that is 100% accurate. You need to have the whole picture and be looking at the rules that apply to your drone and application to have a good idea where you can fly. Airmap works for my requirements, your requirements may be different

Motorola G4+

Man I can't wait till the rulings become more clear... I live in Calgary and am trying to find areas to fly but as I do not have insurance (although I am a MAAC member and was told by them if I am following TC rules I am covered under them even if not at a MAAC field) I have yet to go fly anywhere because the last thing my unlucky *** needs is a fine....
I live within 5km of an airport... I want to put it in my backyard just to test stability etc under 15 feet but am worried to do that and have only hovered in my garage and living room.... I am waiting on some insurance quotes... then do ground school get my restricted radio license etc but with the new changes coming not sure If I should wait or just do it all anyway... Only flying for fun at this time, maybe in the future do some Arial work but not sure what the future hold at this time...

with the built up areas being anything more then a farmstead, how does one even qualify for an SFOC exemption under 1kg?

Thanks guys, AirMap seems pretty awesome. I've downloaded their app, and will likely use it as my primary one.
Be careful about Airmap. I am I have Airmap on my phone and less than 1Km from Pearson Airport it gives me permission to fly under SFOC exempt. I just need to take off and I will be arrested.

I've noticed that UAV forecast and DJI don't have all restricted Canadian space listed. Anyone know a good app or website that does?

For example, I'm planning on going to Ottawa next year to do some filming, and I know Parliament Hill is restricted airspace, but I have no idea how far that extends and am having trouble finding that information. The apps I checked out don't even show it as a NFZ.

In Canada the restrictions are based on PART IX of the CARs but lots of organizations try to interpret the Airspace in relation to UAV. I find there are many subtleties like Sarnia CYZR is an uncontrolled airport (no tower) so you would think you can fly 3 miles away like the PART IX says but it's actually CLASS E controlled airspace out to 5 nm . . which is virtually all of the Sarnia area. I use:

NRC (National Research Council) Airspace Drone Tool
Telus - Canadian Airspace Drone Tool

You are right about all the restrictions around Toronto. These tools are just a guide to flying in CLASS E but if you want to fly somewhere UNDER the controlled airspace it's pretty easy to check and both these tools are updated "regularly". If you want to fly in Controlled airspace (below 400ft) you just have to ask . . . by filing a request with Nav Canada. I have to do it for every flight here around Sarnia . . but it's not too onerous. It's just inconvenient for the "opportunity" flights that I used to do . . you can't just launch when the lighting is right or something is happening that will pass in a few min. Takes about 30 -60 min to get a response by email.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom