DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Any idea what just flew past the drone?

Quote: If you go back frame by frame you can follow them for quite a distance.
It emanates from the lower left tree line.
Without a doubt, hi speed, my guess.

It's invisible until only a couple of feet from the drone.
The total observable distance travelled is only a couple of feet.
The speed is almost all the speed of the drone flying past the drifting fluff.

What ever is was, it turned out to be joy to read this thread :)

Reactions: Barbara
When looking at video's like this, it is sometimes helpful to first determine what the anomaly cannot be, rather than imagine what it could be.

I've been involved with RC for a long time so I'm used to seeing aircraft flying and one thing that aids a pilot in identifying attitude is when the aircraft's attitude (pitch, roll, and yaw), is changed. This is because as an aircraft changes it's attitude, the image we see, changes - we see (for instance) more of the wing and stabilizer, while less of a vertical fin and so on. In addition, ambient light falls across these surfaces as the attitude changes and highlights different parts of the airframe which further accentuates these changes in attitude.

At first glance the objects do look like props, so it could be a drone or fixed wing RC aircraft but; here is why it is not either of these.

As the two objects come into view they role to port about 80 degrees and then role to starboard until almost a level attitude when passing in front of the camera. To my eyes, here are just a few things that stand out to me.

1] There is no airframe - no structure, nothing visible even holds these two items together. If it were RC or UAV, we'd see something more at some point, especially considering that we've seen it roll, pitch, and climb, as well as get closer to the camera.

2] The props diameters are greater than the distance between them - if rotating they would collide in any conventional two engine fixed wing layout. Yeah there could be a way to stagger them but not likely.

3] There is no rotation of the objects to indicate they are props - the camera that shot this video is using an electronic (rolling) shutter and at some point if those objects were rotating they should appear curved and certainly their rotational orientation (to one another) should change. Instead, they hold their relationship to one another - perfectly still - for the entirety of the video.

No Props, No machine, No propulsion (other than wind) and since it climbed - it is very light, therefore very small. Two tiny airborne seeds drifting in the wind but what are the chances that his drone/camera happened to be at that exact spot, at that exact time, to capture this - one in a million I'd say. ;)

When looking at video's like this, it is sometimes helpful to first determine what the anomaly cannot be, rather than imagine what it could be.

I've been involved with RC for a long time so I'm used to seeing aircraft flying and one thing that aids a pilot in identifying attitude is when the aircraft's attitude (pitch, roll, and yaw), is changed. This is because as an aircraft changes it's attitude, the image we see, changes - we see (for instance) more of the wing and stabilizer, while less of a vertical fin and so on. In addition, ambient light falls across these surfaces as the attitude changes and highlights different parts of the airframe which further accentuates these changes in attitude.

At first glance the objects do look like props, so it could be a drone or fixed wing RC aircraft but; here is why it is not either of these.

As the two objects come into view they role to port about 80 degrees and then role to starboard until almost a level attitude when passing in front of the camera. To my eyes, here are just a few things that stand out to me.

1] There is no airframe - no structure, nothing visible even holds these two items together. If it were RC or UAV, we'd see something more at some point, especially considering that we've seen it roll, pitch, and climb, as well as get closer to the camera.

2] The props diameters are greater than the distance between them - if rotating they would collide in any conventional two engine fixed wing layout. Yeah there could be a way to stagger them but not likely.

3] There is no rotation of the objects to indicate they are props - the camera that shot this video is using an electronic (rolling) shutter and at some point if those objects were rotating they should appear curved and certainly their rotational orientation (to one another) should change. Instead, they hold their relationship to one another - perfectly still - for the entirety of the video.

No Props, No machine, No propulsion (other than wind) and since it climbed - it is very light, therefore very small. Two tiny airborne seeds drifting in the wind but what are the chances that his drone/camera happened to be at that exact spot, at that exact time, to capture this - one in a million I'd say. ;)
Excellent analysis!... love the astute observations and precise details!

Still, do you think there could be little green men inside? :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Clearly UFO's! I'm kidding of course. I looked at where they first appear and they appear to be moving independently early on. As they pass by your drone it looks like one thing. I think two birds, one chasing the other for mating purposes. Many birds often fly parallel to each other and if they are not flapping their wings, it does look like one, strange object. And yes, many birds are FAST! Just lucky their didn't hit your drone. Of course, Ty Pilot's guess is best!!!!!

We've been through this before. It's either a reflection or video remnant. DJI seems to have a few cases of this...I have several in a few of my videos my self

Aw shucks. :confused:

Screenshot_20210813-163946.png

:cool: ? ☮️

It was a breezy day today, and I just about caught one of @Sleiman 's super high speed UFO/twin bladed drone/video defect/birds in my hand. There were actually quite a few of them drifting about. Should have got my drone out and caught some of these high speed things on video ?20210813_142724.jpg

Hi, this is a snippet from a video I caught yesterday. Any idea what just zoomed right in front of my drone at high speed?
I enlarged the video and followed frame by frame and it looks like a bird taking off from the woods. If it was a drone or an RC aircraft it was far too low to take off. I've never seen dandelion seeds fly that fast. Most likely to be a bird something like a hawk. I've attached snapshots of its flight path not full.

Attachments

• Object flight path.jpg
    Object flight path.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 15
I enlarged the video and followed frame by frame and it looks like a bird taking off from the woods.
Anyone that thinks it looks like a bird, a drone, a plane or anything other than a couple of dandylion seeds stuck together needs to stop looking on their phone and use a real computer monitor or have their eyes checked.
It's clear and obvious what the object is.
I've never seen dandelion seeds fly that fast.
They are drifting, suspended in the air and the drone-mounted camera is flying fast.
Most likely to be a bird something like a hawk. I've attached snapshots of its flight path not full.
The whole visible flight path is only a couple of feet from when the camera gets close enough for the seeds to be visible until the drone goes past.

Why is there any debate on this?
Usually the mystery object is further away and just a small blur but this is close and in focus enough to clearly see exactly what it is (and isn't).

Last edited:
Anyone that thinks it looks like a bird, a drone, a plane or anything other than a couple of dandylion seeds stuck together needs to stop looking on their phone and use a real computer monitor or have their eyes checked.
It's clear and obvious what the object is.

They are drifting, suspended in the air and the drone-mounted camera is flying fast.

The whole visible flight path is only a couple of feet from when the camera gets close enough for the seeds to be visible until the drone goes past.

Why is there any debate on this?
Usually the mystery object is further away and just a small blur but this is close and in focus enough to clearly see exactly what it is (and isn't).
Tiny airborne seeds are everywhere, and just on these forums alone we have seen multiple examples of them being mistaken for all manner of things. Less so recently - I assumed because people were starting to figure out that they are not aliens or other drones.

Reactions: BigAl07
What's amazing is seeing them if they are (and I suspect they are) dandelion seeds.
They are so fine most of the time, small (here at least, maybe up to 35mm / 1-1/2" dia), and besides that, we don't even see overhead wires sometimes until right on them, and often not until playback like this.

I feel the OP probably didn't see them at the time, only in playback ?

Having seen a lot of balloons zip past the airplane at warp speed it doesn't take long to figure out that actually they're just drifting with the breeze...just like those seeds in the video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones