DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Any idea what just flew past the drone?

I went full screen and stopped the video @ about 5 secs. I bumped it on the line below to bring it in. Definitely NOT a bird. I saw what I think are 2 propellers. RC plane? Could be a drone in sport mode (@Itzmyobsession). Came in low and was climbing out. Whatever it is...it only took 1 - 1.5 seconds to cross your FOV. It was definitely moving.

Any rich person's house or government buildings there? Their security patrol? (I say that somewhat jokingly, but ya never know)

Looks like a pair of Dandelion seeds to me, they are tiny so they were just very close to the camera giving the illusion of high speed but moving only at the speed of the wind.

View attachment 133258

That's exactly what is looks like to me as well. Good eye bud :)

UFA_MP.jpg

I too thought dandelion but it's not quite right I think. Do you have Thistles there Redirect Notice ?
but to be honest I think the camera would be doing well to see either. If you go back frame by frame you can follow them for quite a distance

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a pair of Dandelion seeds to me, they are tiny so they were just very close to the camera giving the illusion of high speed but moving only at the speed of the wind.

View attachment 133258

You just spoiled a great UFO legend in the making.

Reality wins this time.

This is a great example of how notoriously difficult it is to judge distance/speed/size when airborne. The prevailing initial response is that the object was moving really fast, and was some kind of drone/RC aircraft. The likely reality is it was not moving very fast at all, but due to its close proximity to the drone it passed across the field of view quickly, giving the impression of high speed.

I've read numerous reports of supposed close passes between manned aircraft and drones. Often the pilot of the manned aircraft believes they saw a drone, but the altitudes, estimated size and relative speeds detailed in the report make it highly improbable that it was actually a drone close by and far more likely that it was another manned aircraft much further away. For a few of the reports someone had actually correlated AIS data from other flights in the area at the same time and they identified other manned aircraft at the right altitude and trajectory to agree with the alleged drone.

but to be honest I think the camera would be doing well to see either

I was thinking this too regarding a dandelion seed (or 2).
It sure looked like it was a long way off when first seen, playing at 0.25 speed on YouTube.

PS. Maaaybe, if there was a REALLY bright sun behind you ?

Reactions: Droniac
Notice how the object is in focus for a bit and as it heads towards the upper middle of the frame starts to go out of focus? This implies that it is actually quite close to the camera, ie closer than the 1m min focus distance.

There's eagles being reintroduced to the wild where I live and I heard them while flying the other night, I never hit the RTH button as fast in my life :)

View attachment 133258
Exactly, i've had these flying by before, at great heights.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini