DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any way to stop remote from charging android phone?

The USB on the RC only puts out 500mA max, the original standard max current for USB. That's why devices tend to warn you about slow charging.

DJI may have opted not to turn off charging on Android due to some devices not enabling the USB if there's no power.

I'm using a moto g4 play running nugat and don't want to drain the remote by having it charge my phone. Anybody know how to make the remote stop charging the phone? Or have the phone itself not accept the charge?
It worked. Developer Options are ON, USB Debugging is ON and (***) USB Configuration is set to MTP.

That cured the issue, but you must set USB Configuration back to Charge in order to charge the battery on the phone. To mount on RC, you must go back up to (***)

Google how to enable Developer Options and go from there.

It worked. Developer Options are ON, USB Debugging is ON and (***) USB Configuration is set to MTP.

That cured the issue, but you must set USB Configuration back to Charge in order to charge the battery on the phone. To mount on RC, you must go back up to (***)

Thanks, I'll try that out.

I have been watching You Tube videos and even on Android phones early Mavic 2 Pros had an option in the Go 4 app to turn off "Charge Phone through RC". On Ed Ricker's You Tube video:
at the 14:08 mark you can see this option. On my new Mavic 2 Pro it does not exist. In fact there are many changes in the Go 4 app. Some good and some not so good. Someone with connections needs to contact DJI and tell them to put this option back in the Go 4 app in an update. My Samsung Tab A will last 12 hours on it's own accord but it will drain my controller in 45 minutes!. Yeah, the tablet is fully charged but my controller is gone, I need both. If nothing else they could use Bluetooth to connect displays and controllers.

On my S8 the amount of draw from the controller seems minuscule. I can fly 3 batteries and still have heaps of juice in the controller.

I have been watching You Tube videos and even on Android phones early Mavic 2 Pros had an option in the Go 4 app to turn off "Charge Phone through RC". On Ed Ricker's You Tube video:
at the 14:08 mark you can see this option. On my new Mavic 2 Pro it does not exist. In fact there are many changes in the Go 4 app. Some good and some not so good. Someone with connections needs to contact DJI and tell them to put this option back in the Go 4 app in an update. My Samsung Tab A will last 12 hours on it's own accord but it will drain my controller in 45 minutes!. Yeah, the tablet is fully charged but my controller is gone, I need both. If nothing else they could use Bluetooth to connect displays and controllers.
That option only seemed to work with iOS Apple devices anyway ...

Ok, I just had this issue with a Motorola droid turbo, no matter what I did, it would continue to default to charging. Even after allowing debugging in developer options. After 3 days on customer support, not one tech had the answer. My fix was to go to developer options and set debugging and change from charging to mtp.Then I noticed after numerous threads with this problem, it was because of android 6. So, in developer options, also change the setting that says " use legacy DHCP client", use the DHCP from lollipop instead of the new Android DHCP client. This finally allowed me to connect with Dji and register, activate, and then fly. Good luck

Also, after changing these settings my phone charges normally but also allows file transfers to the dji app and rc.

There's really no option on most Androids to disable charging from USB. There's the option to ONLY charge from USB (no data connection) but not to have a data connection and not charge.

With all of the different charging methods/rates, you might not be able to tell that you are charging, since the RC only puts out 500mA@5v. That's 2.5w. Pretty small potatoes with today's power hungry devices.

There's really no option on most Androids to disable charging from USB. There's the option to ONLY charge from USB (no data connection) but not to have a data connection and not charge.

With all of the different charging methods/rates, you might not be able to tell that you are charging, since the RC only puts out 500mA@5v. That's 2.5w. Pretty small potatoes with today's power hungry devices.
See my post #25. I've done it. Most, if not all Android devices can do it. It's 'hidden' of sorts, but can be done.

I fly with a fully charged Android Huawei P10 phone - and find that the power drain from the RC controller to the phone is reduced a whole lot, if I turn off WiFi and Bluetooth while I'm flying.

This device is so awesome that I have decided that I was not going to skimp on a monitor. As I looked for other options in dealing with this dilemma I of course ran into the DJI Crystalsky. In learning about it I found it runs on Android 5.1.1. I am told this is a stand alone monitor and will not get Android updates, only updates DJI approves and sends. It is the system DJI has chosen to be their pick. That explains what another member said about problems after Android 6. After finding the Crystalsky I have decided to purchase the 7.85 inch version. Does anybody known whether it is advisable to purchase the Ultra or not. I read where someone said the Ultra got really hot or something. Anybody have personal experience with either?

I have an Ultrabright Crystal Sky and have never had an overheating problem, and I live in a desert area where the temperatures are well over 100 degrees F in summer. Early versions of the Crystal Sky had serious overheating problems, and there is one member of this forum who had his device repaired three times under warranty. Also, some versions of the DJI Go 4 app caused the Crystal Sky to run much hotter, but this problem seems to have been solved in more recent versions. As a precaution I have programmed one of the function buttons to reduce screen brightness in case of overheating, and I usually operate the Crystal Sky at half maximum brightness.

The Crystal Sky has great brightness, but it is a mediocre tablet. I have had the Go 4 app crash several times on the Crystal Sky which never happens on my newer iPads. I gave up using my iPads in bright sunlight because I live in an “Authorization Zone,” and on the iPad screen I can’t even see the little boxes you need to check to receive authorization.

Reactions: davemgood

Which phone do you have?

I have the Note 8.
This stops charging completely while you are flying?
I tried the same on a spare note 5 that I had lying around and it would automatically start charging again when you opened the DJI app.

I have an Ultrabright Crystal Sky and have never had an overheating problem, and I live in a desert area where the temperatures are well over 100 degrees F in summer. Early versions of the Crystal Sky had serious overheating problems, and there is one member of this forum who had his device repaired three times under warranty. Also, some versions of the DJI Go 4 app caused the Crystal Sky to run much hotter, but this problem seems to have been solved in more recent versions. As a precaution I have programmed one of the function buttons to reduce screen brightness in case of overheating, and I usually operate the Crystal Sky at half maximum brightness.

The Crystal Sky has great brightness, but it is a mediocre tablet. I have had the Go 4 app crash several times on the Crystal Sky which never happens on my newer iPads. I gave up using my iPads in bright sunlight because I live in an “Authorization Zone,” and on the iPad screen I can’t even see the little boxes you need to check to receive authorization.
Ditto that!

I ended up buying a used iPad Mini 4 with the cell module (for GPS) for my display.

I thought that I saw in the release notes for one of the recent updates that a "charging issue" had been fixed. Not sure exactly what it was referring to, but I was wondering if maybe it was the Android device issue we are talking about here.

I ended up buying a used iPad Mini 4 with the cell module (for GPS) for my display.

I thought that I saw in the release notes for one of the recent updates that a "charging issue" had been fixed. Not sure exactly what it was referring to, but I was wondering if maybe it was the Android device issue we are talking about here.
It does lower it drastically but does not stop it.
Its better than nothing. The frustrating part is I know its possible. As some have pointed out, turning off charging through the USB menu is possible on some devices like Nvidia shield.
Also many, including me, have done it on rooted devices. So it seems there's a way it can be done via how the controller tells communicates with the device.
There also probably is a way for it to be fixed via software too but who knows.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky