DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else really enjoy night flying?

I couldnt find the chart again, but I found this;

between May 2017 and September 2018. Specifically, the OIG focused on the FAA’s methods of (1) approving waivers under its Part 107 rule for small drone operations and (2) conducting risk-based oversight of remote pilots with waivers.

In a summary of its findings, the OIG says the FAA has “established processes for reviewing and granting waivers but has experienced difficulties obtaining sufficient information, managing the volume of requests and communicating with applicants, particularly in explaining reasons for denying requests.”

lg.php

“As a result, FAA’s Flight Standards office has disapproved 73 percent of operational waiver requests (e.g., over people and beyond line of sight), and a significant backlog of waiver requests to operate in airspace with manned aircraft exists,” the audit summary explains.

source;
OIG Audits FAA on Drone Waivers, Calls for Eight Actions - Unmanned Aerial

Still getting my head around the finer points of Rule 101 and 102 in NZ, but my general understanding is of their similarity to the drone reg's of many other countries. That is to say responsible flying under 101 does not permit night flying, along with many other restrictions relating to public spaces such as highways, national parks, airports and associated airspace and so on. Rule 102 - once a pilot has been certified by NZCAA - will permit night flying and the flying of drones in circumstances a "casual" but responsible pilot would not be able to enjoy under 101.
I am a strong advocate for ALL drone users, world wide, to be responsible about flying within their respective country's aviation law/rules. If night flying is not permitted, then don't do it until you've put yourself in a position where a "clear and present" responsibility can be demonstrated. As I read another's response to this particular tag, the turning off of what are very basic nav' lights along with collision avoidance systems, "because of the annoyance they cause" while flying at night, cannot in my book be accepted as responsible flying. And, the actions of a pilot in such circumstances eventually doesn't go unnoticed by regulators' all over the world - who by the way, probably take this sort of feed back and information from forums such as 'Mavic Pilots' - becoming quite happy to "regulate" the responsible use of drone flying up the wazoo; their justification being the actions of a very few number of individuals, is being indicative of how ALL drone pilots are likely to behave. I suggest, it might be assumed in the not too distant future such restrictive regulations could become more easily enforced with the likes of 'geo-fencing' technology, as an example, being set to preclude all drone flying from half and hour before sunset to half an hour after sunrise! Ask yourselves; how long will it be before it becomes mandatory for all drones capable of flying at an altitude above, say 10 metres, to have a transponder fitted? You might not be able to buy a drone without it fitted!
Personally, I would be quite happy with a transponder fitted to either of my drones, because I can see it would have benefits for me as a pilot. But again regulators could potentially use such technology against ALL pilots, if irresponsible flying ended up causing a catastrophic event. I am sure 'geo-fencing' also has it's merits, with a commercial type application being able to benefit many different interests. However, regulators could potentially use such technology against ALL pilots, for little other reason than to justify blanket drone flying restrictions as a sort of punishment because of the actions of a very few.
I enjoy a lot of local and long-haul flying every year, knowing the law/rules of international CAA bodies help to keep me safe when I do fly from one city to another or one country to another. Without such "minimum" standards, which type of airline and what type of pilot would you be happy to get you to your destination - safely?
I am looking forward to next March when I hope I will be able to achieve NZCAA certification, so that within the rules I can fly, and photograph, at night!
Happy "Droning" to everyone. Thumbswayup;)

Disclaimer for any drone police on patrol - night flying is entirely permitted in the UK.

So, anyone else really enjoy? Pick a discrete spot and get her up there - the world looks so different and suddenly city scapes become art and landscapes invisible.

People tend to not see me or the drone so it is a lot more discrete as well.

I’ve set myself a winter project as well. Sheffield where I live still has a good amount of industry (although nothing like the scale of decades gone by) so I’m trying to capture some of the buildings at night. I’ll post some of my first attempts up soon :).
Nice one. Looking forward to seeing them....might give it a go over here in Liverpool with the docks etc. Take care and catch you later. Peter

Reactions: dannybgoode
Hell Yeah... I fly at Night 70percent of the time... Luv it.
In fact I'm gonna go fly now and then again at 3am

I live in northern Utah, USA. I probably do as much night flying as daylight. Strobe equipped Mavic Pro. Non-107.

You can just tap your heels together while repeating "this is a recreational flight" silently to yourself. POOF! No waiver required!
If someone wants to buy a night shot afterwords, well OK, go ahead and sell it. No Harm NO foul. I saw a chart once showing how many waiver requests (of all types) actually get approved. It is NOT very many.
Well...... It doesnt say anywhere that it is NOT legal, so..... :D

You can assume that if its not approved for someone whose gone thru the 107 certification then its not approved for a hobbyist.

Banned here unfortunatly

send casa a email and request night flying, the more people that do that it may change its mine, even if we can get dawn and twilight flying it would be a start here in Aust

Yes, I really like it!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: Bengaz and lolo780
I fly primarily at night. I live in a big city with the landscape is endless. Finding new places to launch from is a challenge and is hella exciting...
I dont have any video available yet. Juts got a new PC and can only now edit 4k.
More night stuff on my insta. 46518892_594435324320181_277060587848990720_o.jpg

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh