DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone ever have this happen?

zebrock

Reactions
What an idiot. I'm sure it's some dumb kid thinking he can't get busted. Would love to pay his parents a visit.

Here in Commiefornia that's a big fat felony. They don't take kindly to laser pointers in the sky. Not sure about drones tho

Pffff it's in every kids arsenal where I live I think. They're not allowed to import but somehow the customs never does anything about them being shipped.

I remember couple of years ago someone pointed it at a commercial airplane and everything went bat **** crazy.... Other than that I say pffff. Just quit making a deal about it, than every kid forget those devices inside some dark drawer.... It's not fun unless some officer hardass gets triggered by it. So stop feeding the trolls people

Reactions: sonof40
I know I just realized its crooked. Still very new to this lol. Didn't even see the laser til I popped the card in my laptop. Do I just do a gimbal calibration and all good?

That's the worse gimbal angle I've seen with no wind involved. It's so bad I'd almost say you forgot to remove the gimbal lock. Or it's not set correctly in the upper gimbal mount?

And if both of those guesses are wrong, then I would do a IMU calibration using the DJI Assistant. Btw, the yaw speed on your aircraft looks pretty fast as well. While I'm at it here, have you bothered to calibrate the Remote Controller using the app menu? How about the compass?

I don't get it. Why was what the guy with the laser pointer any more wrong than you were flying your MP? I don't think either of you did anything wrong. I don't think either of you should have your parents brought into the discussion either. I'm not familiar with how things work in Commieafornia, but here in the US you can kinda do what you want as long as you're not hurting anyone. For now, anyway.

I doubt the laser guy even knew your Mavic was there.

That's the worse gimbal angle I've seen with no wind involved. It's so bad I'd almost say you forgot to remove the gimbal lock. Or it's not set correctly in the upper gimbal mount?

And if both of those guesses are wrong, then I would do a IMU calibration using the DJI Assistant. Btw, the yaw speed on your aircraft looks pretty fast as well. While I'm at it here, have you bothered to calibrate the Remote Controller using the app menu? How about the compass?
I just returned from 9 days in Mexico and went for a quick flight when I got home. I was having all kinds of issues out there and it was super windy so I was trying different settings. Calibrated everything there but not since I got home. Looks like I need to go through everything again now that I'm back.

I don't get it. Why was what the guy with the laser pointer any more wrong than you were flying your MP? I don't think either of you did anything wrong. I don't think either of you should have your parents brought into the discussion either. I'm not familiar with how things work in Commieafornia, but here in the US you can kinda do what you want as long as you're not hurting anyone. For now, anyway.
I was being sarcastic about getting parents involved. My pops is a retired pilot, pointing a laser at an aircraft is a huge no no here.

I just returned from 9 days in Mexico and went for a quick flight when I got home. I was having all kinds of issues out there and it was super windy so I was trying different settings. Calibrated everything there but not since I got home. Looks like I need to go through everything again now that I'm back.

Well hopefully you at least calibrated the compass before flying once you returned. Otherwise your aircraft will be headed for mexico should there be a connection issue.

I was being sarcastic about getting parents involved. My pops is a retired pilot, pointing a laser at an aircraft is a huge no no here.

Ah, I am thick. Missed your sarcasm there. I can see why pointing a laser pointer at a passenger jet or even a small craft with humans inside it that might die if the craft were to crash for any reason related to interference, but I don't get why it's a no no when someone points it at a drone. Outside of the footage that is unusable, what else does it affect on the Mavic? I don't have an agenda with that question, I'm just asking. I've no clue whether or not a laser pointer might affect my mavic.

Well hopefully you at least calibrated the compass before flying once you returned. Otherwise your aircraft will be headed for mexico should there be a connection issue.
Lol I'd just let it go. I'm done with Mexico for a while, 9 days is more than enough for me.

Ive had all kinds of problems with this thing.. I was testing some settings today on my phone for my disconnecting issues and did calibrate the compass here but nothing else. But now that I look I noticed every video I've shot is crooked though even when I did do gimbal calibrations. Would you recommend I calibrate through assistant instead of the app then?

Ah, I am thick. Missed your sarcasm there. I can see why pointing a laser pointer at a passenger jet or even a small craft with humans inside it that might die if the craft were to crash for any reason related to interference, but I don't get why it's a no no when someone points it at a drone. Outside of the footage that is unusable, what else does it affect on the Mavic? I don't have an agenda with that question, I'm just asking. I've no clue whether or not a laser pointer might affect my mavic.
No worries. My footage is unusable anyways due to my crooked gimble. I'm not sure what affect it would have to be honest, never heard of anyone doing it. But I know that FAA does not take kindly to pointing a laser at any aircraft.

Not sure where you live and your local laws, but in Australia drones fall under CASA (our version of the FAA). I'm fairly sure it is the same crime as pointing a laser at any other form of aircraft. Although far more unlikely, it could cause the drone to crash due to losing your vision temporarily or causing the obstacle avoidance sensors to trigger evasive action (similar to the sun causing this issue).

At the end of the day, it's not a very smart move.

No worries. My footage is unusable anyways due to my crooked gimble. I'm not sure what affect it would have to be honest, never heard of anyone doing it. But I know that FAA does not take kindly to pointing a laser at any aircraft.

I've always tought it was just good old drama... It'll hardly interrupt the pilot flying the plain on autopilot.... Maybe it'll disrupt their reading the newspaper habit....

I would at least hope bowing or Rolla royce had manage to update the Plains firmware if a $5 equipment, easily availeble for purchase could put it down with a boom.
If so, wouldn't we see green beam coming from extremists all around following with Allah Akhbar shouting by their non extremist friends? [emoji16]

Naaaah, it's a clear case of more drama than from babymama.....

Not sure where you live and your local laws, but in Australia drones fall under CASA (our version of the FAA). I'm fairly sure it is the same crime as pointing a laser at any other form of aircraft. Although far more unlikely, it could cause the drone to crash due to losing your vision temporarily or causing the obstacle avoidance sensors to trigger evasive action (similar to the sun causing this issue).

At the end of the day, it's not a very smart move.

Completely agree that it's a diq move, I'm just genuinely curious how it might affect any drone. I don't know. Are there some studies that prove that lasers can cause a drone to crash? I get sensor disruption, but I mean, my kids bike caused sensor disruption yesterday, and I'm not going to call the FAA about it. I'm in Melbourne Beach, FL. And just to restate so I'm clear, shining a laser pointer or anything else at an aircraft with human lives at stake should be and is a very clearly stated violation. But what about a drone? The FAA here in the US has some pretty ridiculous requirements/mandates for uav operators, but I've never heard anything about penalties against people who do anything to a drone, laser pointer or otherwise. Heck, one of our congressman here in the us recently introduced a law absolving people who shoot down drones of any liability. If I were to take us precident into account, I'd say it's more likely the MP pilot gets a fine for interfering with the path of that kids laser.

Completely agree that it's a diq move, I'm just genuinely curious how it might affect any drone. I don't know. Are there some studies that prove that lasers can cause a drone to crash? I get sensor disruption, but I mean, my kids bike caused sensor disruption yesterday, and I'm not going to call the FAA about it. I'm in Melbourne Beach, FL. And just to restate so I'm clear, shining a laser pointer or anything else at an aircraft with human lives at stake should be and is a very clearly stated violation. But what about a drone? The FAA here in the US has some pretty ridiculous requirements/mandates for uav operators, but I've never heard anything about penalties against people who do anything to a drone, laser pointer or otherwise. Heck, one of our congressman here in the us recently introduced a law absolving people who shoot down drones of any liability. If I were to take us precident into account, I'd say it's more likely the MP pilot gets a fine for interfering with the path of that kids laser.

Sounds like a nightmare of laws over there! I do not know nearly enough about the FAA and US law to make a statement about it, but I do know that people have been arrested and all that for doing it to aircraft here. I can only imagine that if you caught this on film, and then something DID happen to the drone that either caused damage to the drone itself or t someone or something else, then that person would be liable to the damage caused, and possibly it would escalate further.

Not going to try it myself to find out though! Haha.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melissapeterss