DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

What are the rules on flying near birds of prey?

Surfnut

Reactions
Hi guys. What are the rules about flying near birds of prey? There`s a guy posted on Youtube and he`s basically `buzzing` a bird of prey till it gets so agitated it goes to attack his drone. I told him he s an idiot and he s the type who gets responsible drone users banned from areas, but he wont accept hes done anything wrong. This is in the States I believe. Am I right?

What bird of prey was it?
I believe quite a few species ( UK ) are protected by law and it's a criminal offense to cause them harm.
I also suspect a twitcher would have no qualms about reporting the video.
Did the bird hit the drone and is what happened to the bird known?
What did the person do afterwards.

I don't give a hoot about the drone but if the bird was injured I think I would report the video to the RSPB.
I have had a buzzard make a possible pass at a P3, one pass was enough for me and I got 'home' and down. The talons ( long lense on a DLSR ) on that thing need to be seen to be believed.

Last edited:
the rules about flying near birds are basically the same ,for all types of birds ,a lot of birds of pray are protected species,and there location is strictly monitored to stop egg poaching from their nest sites, and with many species there are restictions during the nesting season as well ,
and of course birds can be very protective of their territory so there is the risk of your drone being attacked as well ,if you go on the RSPB web site, then you should be able to find out when it is ok to fly, where birds are present ,and also probably the resulting punisments, that you could be handed down, if you were to be found guilty of an offence i am talking about the UK ,it could be different in other parts of the world

Reactions: mavic3usa
Once he noticed the bird He should have left the area. The bird will win the fight by the way.
In California they will quickly put you in jail for flying your drone around wildlife and bothering them. You can take all the video you want but if the wildlife becomes disturbed you had better go. If that wildlife is endangered OH BOY- You gotta long, costly, losing battle on your hands.

i wouldn't blame the bird, if it had indeed really attacked his drone, he was flying FPV, and trying to get a responce from it ,the title of the vid, is just more click bait

protected species in the UK but is that in the UK?
I think the cars are on the wrong side of the road and it looks to hot/dry to me.

How does a RPIC maintain LOS when flying FPV?

Thanks guys. Here`s the vid:

If that isnt harrasment I dont know what is...

You can see by the shadow that the bird is already engaging the drone, when he realized that he turned around, and then he pursued the bird; then finally landed... and that's basically the correct way to act in situations like that.

When a bird is after your drone, first you ascend (no bird can follow an ascending drone) and move away, but if it still persists, following the bird to "show him who's the boss" is the way to go, else the bird will think you are a prey and will attack the drone (which was already happening at the beginning of the video).

And that doesn't mean you should fly near nesting areas.

Hi guys. What are the rules about flying near birds of prey? There`s a guy posted on Youtube and he`s basically `buzzing` a bird of prey till it gets so agitated it goes to attack his drone. I told him he s an idiot and he s the type who gets responsible drone users banned from areas, but he wont accept hes done anything wrong. This is in the States I believe. Am I right?
Don't know about rules 'over there', but one should never disturb any bird or animal. I have brought my drone down several times when a Hawk, Osprey, or Eagle is anywhere in sight. Especially if they have a young one around which you never know.
Eagles can destroy your drone, and cause great harm to them.

Harass Bald Eagles here in U.S., especially if you harm on; big big jail time. Red Tail Hawks at mating time will destroy your drone without provocation; they assume you are after their mate. Golden Eagles are so big, they tend to just climb out and have little interest in a noisy little drone. I flew hang gliders for close to 30 years and have flown with many types of birds of prey and it is an awesome experience when they join you in flight. I have never attempted to go near them choosing to let them decide the distance between us. I've had mature and immature Bald Eagles fly close to me, the mature under my wing matching my movements in the air. I have followed Golden Eagles across areas that I would not have flown without their showing the way. I've been attacked by Red Tails during mating season and Ravens also during mating season. The Red Tails will go after the pilot, apparently they can distinguish between the wing and the pilot. Ravens on the other hand tend to dive into the wing which is like hitting a board. The tend to bounce off and tumble away then eventually come back to their senses and fly away. But in all encounters, I let the bird choose our interaction if any. Vultures are also marvelous and stunning in their thermal abilities and they probably determine we're not dead they tend to shy away from us. Seagulls are just a pain in the butt unless you sneak up behind them early mornings, they scatter like flying mice to get away from big wing. I have flown near a Bald Eagle who was sitting on top of tall pine but not close enough to disturb. Now cows/bull and wolfs in the landing fields are another little issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13