DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone facing jerks in hyperlapses ?

networth

Reactions
I just did my first flight and tested the hyperlapse and I find there are many little jerks in the video.

It was not windy for sure.
What can be the reason ?

Reactions: fakbik
i have same observation with the one hyperlapse i did flying forward

Then i did other hyperlapses flying sideways and it's not as present

so probably due to that

at same time hyperlapse require the aircraft to stay almost still in the air at same position +/- for a long period of time : it's sure that some movement slike this would appear, even when there is no wind

I have not seen that in mine, even on a windy day.

How is your other video come out other than Hyperlapse?

Its looks like something is out of balance like a propeller.

Yeah, I think it has more to do with the DJI in-drone stitching than anything, although it looked a bit windy just based on the movement of the grass and trees. Probably could get better results from a more professional hyperlapse software. But realistically you can get a much smoother looking slow pan/move by just going to tripod mode, hitting record at 24 or 30 fps, and letting it slowly move along the path, then speed it up in post.

But realistically you can get a much smoother looking slow pan/move by just going to tripod mode, hitting record at 24 or 30 fps, and letting it slowly move along the path, then speed it up in post.

oh great idea, never really thought of that

+ that way you just don't need to leave the aircraft in flight for such a long time...hyperlapse is great , expecially when you want to save pictures at same time (let's say shooting a fireworks) but it definitely is a slow process

and is there a way to automatically let the drone fly in tripod mode by releasing the sticks ?

i know waypoint is not yet available on THE MAVIC 2 but am not even sure waypoint is possible in tripod mode anyway

I just did my first flight and tested the hyperlapse and I find there are many little jerks in the video.

It was not windy for sure.
What can be the reason ?

You can fix that right up in Premiere, FinalCut, iMovie, or a lot of other editors with stabilization.

Reactions: Rick0504N
oh great idea, never really thought of that

+ that way you just don't need to leave the aircraft in flight for such a long time...hyperlapse is great , expecially when you want to save pictures at same time (let's say shooting a fireworks) but it definitely is a slow process

and is there a way to automatically let the drone fly in tripod mode by releasing the sticks ?

i know waypoint is not yet available on THE MAVIC 2 but am not even sure waypoint is possible in tripod mode anyway

Not sure about that...I've found the sticks to have enough resistance to be able to hold a speed for a while, but admittedly could get tiring over the course of 5-10 minutes. Could work to do tap to fly, I think you can set that down to 2.something mph, which is basically a slow walk, which should give the desired effect. But I agree there is some benefit to the hyperlapse from the standpoint of having all the pics, so probably more worth looking into third party software if that is your concern. But if you know you want video in the end, may make more sense to just shoot a slow video and speed up.

Reactions: KONY
Here is a hyperlapse I did myself with minimal wind, and I agree still a bit jerky. Note that this is not a great example. I was more testing the feature than trying to get a perfect shot, sorry for the bad angles.DJI_0028.MP4
open

The drone moves slightly. If youre close to things it'll be more obvious.
They recommend minimum 50m distance.
I get better results using the DNGs and putting the video through the warp stabiliser on premiere or AE. Then i get 4k too.

Have been doing hyperlapses long before Mavic 2 (with interval shooting on Phantom) and this is expected behaviour. It's virtually impossible to keep a small drone on a perfect trajectory for a long time and not have jerks when sped up 100x times. Layers upon layers of post work to get it right and not always possible due to perspective changes. Same post-production workflow as with classic on-the-ground hyperlapses. Even on DJI ads you see how they tried (and not always succeeded) post-processing their hyperlapses. None of those are straight out of camera. Sorry to disappoint, but there are no free cookies.

That's why you do hyperlapses high and far from anything (a few hundred meters) so that the movement is imperceptible due to the perspective.

You can see the same thing on the video they showed during the presentation, there are buildings in the background that are perfectly fine, but in foreground there's a river and some objects and those move like crazy.

The M2 inbuilt hyperlapse does fairly good stabilisation (and hence cropping) at times.
If you compare the output video from the same one unstabilised made from the raws there's quite a difference.
Then again, cropping from 20MP to 1080 gives a lot of room for stabilising!

Ultimately though, dont be too close and avoid gusty winds. Even land based hyperlapses with proper equipment arent shake free and easy at birth.

Reactions: KONY
This one is straight out DJI GO4:

The bridge is OK but the background is jerky.

But if you build the hyperlapse manually in Premiere the output have more quality and warp stabilizer is your best friend :)

Here are my maiden hyperlapse flights in very good weather with some post-work involved, so you can judge what you can expect from this drone. Want to try long exposure as well, but have a feeling that it will mess up my post stabilisation since there will be motion blur all over the place.

This one is straight out DJI GO4:

The bridge is OK but the background is jerky.

But if you build the hyperlapse manually in Premiere the output have more quality and warp stabilizer is your best friend :)

Looks good, but kind of reinforces one of the problems with the automatic hyperlapse, which is that to get a smooth picture from far away, you are talking about a lot of pictures and sometimes even a completely full battery isn't enough to get a complete circle. I figure that would be when shooting video and speeding it up might be best, but not sure if they would be equivalent. Will have to experiment in the next month.

I really wish we could do a 1s interval, but that's a lot for a flying stabilized camera to accomplish.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13