DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone Familiar With Rules In New Zealand?

Jomy joy

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I have purchased a new Mavic Pro and still waiting for my Mavic to arrive.

While I am waiting I would like to familiarise myself with the rules regarding flying a drone in New Zealand.

I have checked few things in Airshare.co.nz but not clear. It says "The red transparent areas are control zones. Control zones are managed by Air Traffic Control and extend down to ground level." does this means I cannot fly in this zone at all.

I thought this thread will be helpfull for all new Drone enthusiasts especially the Mavic enthusiasts.

Thanks
:)

I flew in NZ before and i remember there is a website for you to register the date and time of your flight. A bit of googling should be able to give you a result.

Hi, I live in NZ and have an RPAs certificate of competency. The rules are all available on airshare.co.nz. basically you have to have permission from the land owner or occupier to fly, stay below 400ft, stay 4km from airports (not the 1km in DJI go app) and retain line of sight at all times. to fly in air traffic control areas you are supposed to log a flight on airshare 24hrs before and inform the tower before and after landing. You do have to have a wings badge, pilots license or RPA competency before flying in controlled airspace, but they never check. I have flown with permission within sight of Christchurch international airport. they put a 100ft max altitude on me and watched me through binoculars to make sure I didn't cheat. We find that tourists ignore the rules here and just make it harder for the citizens, so please fly to the rules.
cheers

Hi, I know this topic is a little old but was just thinking about what has been said. So I live in a little rural valley and I thought it would be cool to fly up and down the valley to get a great shot of the area. Are you saying I would need to ask the 30 odd locals who live on all the small lifestyle blocks permission first? Its starts to sound more effort than its worth?

Mike

Reactions: RC5728
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian