DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone remember U.S. the video of a mini dropping out of sky when almost home?

Buel

Reactions
Hi all,

As above, anyone remember a YouTube video posted on here of a guy flying (I think) a mavic mini and testing the RTH over land, it almost made it back but dropped out of the sky just before it made it back?

I do not, sorry but I am wondering why you ask, has something similar happened to you?

anyone remember a YouTube video posted on here of a guy flying (I think) a mavic mini and testing the RTH over land, it almost made it back but dropped out of the sky just before it made it back?
No ... and something on you saw on youtube might not accurately depict what someone on youtube thinks happened.
If you had an incident with your own drone, it would be better to look at your own incident rather than assuming it was the same as something you saw as youtube.
The best way to find out what actually happened is to post your recorded flight data from the incident.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Nothing to do with me / mine, I just wanted to show a friend as it was a really interesting, dare I say fun, experiment.

Reactions: Torque
With what do you or he wish to experiment, a mid air motor stop? Or perhaps the CSC?

With default settings and a normal flight a mid air CSC will NOT stop the motors of a Mavic Mini, the drone merely descends in a helix in a controlled manner and will hover when the sticks are released.
If you change the emergency motor stop setting to "Anytime" the the CSC will sto the motors when it has been applied for around 1.7 seconds and the drone will free fall. The delay period iS too short for it to be safe to leave the setting AT "Anytime" so make sure you switch it back to "emergency only". Drones have been lost because of an unintentional CSC when the setting was "Anytime"
If you wish to attempts to restart the motors in mid air then you MUST first release the sticks and then apply a second CSC.
It is questionable whether or not you will succeed in restarting the motors as the drone may tumble in the free fall. It is possible/pobable that the drone has a 'window of acceptable tilt' within which it will restart the motors and outside of which it WILL NOT restart the motors.
THe second CSC would have to be held until you became aware that the motors had restarted or the drone hit the ground. If you saw a restart release the stick IMMEDIATELY and be prepared to give the drone full throttle just incase the management system restarts the motors at idle.
A low CSC has been tested and videoed

Someone in here tried it with a Mini 2? from height, 1000ft+, but did not release the control sticks after the motor stop, the drone hit the gorund. I can't find the video.

it was a really interesting, dare I say fun, experiment.

So it was an experiment by the YouTube poster ?

There are a couple of examples on YouTube . . . link to search results for > mavic mini rth no battery fall crash

One in particular did this for a mini and mini 2, I didn't watch it fully but it could be it.
(Edit, just noticed the U.S in the title, so not it.)

I also searched YouTube for > Mavic Mini fall from sky < and a couple came up.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was the one you are referring to but I saw one just recently where a guy was doing a range test of the mini 3 pro and he flew it to around 6 miles away and kept intentionally cancelling the RTH.

Then he got bummed when it crash landed a 1/4 mile away. 🙄

Luckily he found it the next day and didn't die of hypothermia in the process. :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian