DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone try this Circular Polarized Antenna from RexUAV?

I have been flying 29,000ft-31,000ft round trip using $16 Parabolic Antenna Enhancer. It takes 3-5 seconds to slip it on and go fly.

Not sure how you can beat that bang for the buck setup. Dynamic 3D Solutions
I don't think you'd get that where I'm flying. My colleague has the same setup as you with his Mavic and only gets 1/3 the distance I'm seeing. I'm in silicon valley with loads of WiFi and rolling Foothills. Do you see significant gain over stock? From what I've seen it's hard to tell if the slip on makes any difference.

They did not work for me, less signal with it on.

I can fly out to the point where reception is 3/5 bars and remove the deflector, the result is 0-1 bar. Then attach it again, and back to the same 3/5 bars. I've never been a person to promote something that is phony. I do know 3d dynamic solutions put a good deal in time working with different combinations to find the right setup.

WithOut Deflector
windsurfer2.jpg

With Deflector
windsurfer1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ABRsanta
I can fly out to the point where reception is 3/5 bars and remove the deflector, the result is 0-1 bar. Then attach it again, and back to the same 3/5 bars. I've never been a person to promote something that is phony. I do know 3d dynamic solutions put a good deal in time working with different combinations to find the right setup.

WithOut Deflector
View attachment 11640

With Deflector
View attachment 11642

Maybe the brand you got is better. I might have to try this on my stock controller. 3d dynamic solutions. Will give it a shot.

Ok FlyNFrank, I ordered it and will test on my known routes. That windsurfer looks much taller than the others I've seen.

From post #18
The semiconductor industry has moved from aluminum wires to copper wires on their integrated circuits (IC's) due to the higher conductivity of aluminum versus that of copper.

Is that a typo? It doesn't comport with the table.
I'm not being picky or overly-critical, just want to understand.

o_O

Reactions: Wombat55

WithOut Deflector
View attachment 11640

With Deflector
View attachment 11642

The magnetic field meter is in a slightly different position in the 2nd picture and also the 2nd picture was zoomed in more so that we can't see whether the meter's knob was set to the same magnetic field strength scale as in the first picture, or indeed whether the meter was set to a magnetic field setting at all.

From post #18
The semiconductor industry has moved from aluminum wires to copper wires on their integrated circuits (IC's) due to the higher conductivity of aluminum versus that of copper.

Is that a typo? It doesn't comport with the table.
I'm not being picky or overly-critical, just want to understand.

o_O

Thanks, the second part of that sentence is a typo and is inconsistent with the first part of that sentence. The industry has moved from Al to Cu because Cu has a higher electrical conductivity than Al. Post has been corrected.

I don't think you'd get that where I'm flying. My colleague has the same setup as you with his Mavic and only gets 1/3 the distance I'm seeing. I'm in silicon valley with loads of WiFi and rolling Foothills. Do you see significant gain over stock? From what I've seen it's hard to tell if the slip on makes any difference.

When flying the same flight route without the deflector installed, the range is 5400-5800ft.

Ok FlyNFrank, I ordered it and will test on my known routes. That windsurfer looks much taller than the others I've seen.

I do need to add that my windsurfer came as two pieces. I'm not a fan of the two piece deflectors. I feel like there will be inconsistencies with something with movement. When installed, one deflector would appear to aimed at the AirCraft, where as the 2nd deflector would appear to tilt and be aimed up over the area you were wanting to be dialed in on.

So...I glued my two pieces together. I did this with them installed into their mounted position. This would help to insure the new one piece would slide On & Off freely. You'll notice each deflector has either a "L" or "R" for left & right. After letting the glue to set up over night, I installed the cut aluminum sheets to overlap across the center onto the other deflector. I did this to add some strength. The images below should show the over lapping. On the 2nd image below shows that I covered the glue using a permanent black marker. The dji decals were extras I had to throw on. (*See additional text below 2nd image)

WindSurfer.jpg

WindSurfer2.jpg

I'm happy with how my tweaking turned out. More importantly the windsurfer works in the way I had hopped it would. I spoke with the creator of the windsurfer on the mods I performed, and he for the most part was against it. He sent me diagrams and charts on how it is suppose to work based on how he created it. He said he was confident what I did would reduce performance of the product. I let him know the changes I made now perform above the expectation I had for it, and that I was more then happy with the result.

Reactions: CyberNate
View attachment 10658

A bit ridiculous looking, but works well. The circular polarizing design eallows for better amplification of receiving channel. My signal is considerably stronger than the fpvlr with same amplification.

Ok,...here it is...the big daddy set up,
pure sliver circular polarizing custom cut and NO cables. also 2
sunhans amps....WOW! many miles out with no worries, and flying
in very high congested valley in NJ
MAVIC 2.jpg MAVIC 2.jpg

Attachments

• MAVIC3.jpg
    MAVIC3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
View attachment 11847 View attachment 11847

Nice setup! It didn't occur to me to separate the antenna from base plate. I bought 2 sets of rp-sma to sma elbow connectors to make it fit. I'll put those in before the amps to minimize loss. Your setup is better.

Reactions: djhoodrich

Nice setup...but how is the portability? I use my Mavic mostly on hikes so portability is key!

Nice setup! It didn't occur to me to separate the antenna from base plate. I bought 2 sets of rp-sma to sma elbow connectors to make it fit. I'll put those in before the amps to minimize loss. Your setup is better.

Thanks CyberNate, I knew you would appreciate this set up,
post your set up when done...

Nice setup...but how is the portability? I use my Mavic mostly on hikes so portability is key!

If your hiking and want fast portability, it all fits into my case.
but it dose take about 2 mins more to set up....not bad at all.

If your hiking and want fast portability, it all fits into my case.
but it dose take about 2 mins more to set up....not bad at all.
It is not the size bothering me. It's the extra weight. I also pack bad weather gear, lunch, water and then some more :)

It is not the size bothering me. It's the extra weight. I also pack bad weather gear, lunch, water and then some more :)
Whoa whoa wait a minute buddy, you forgot the most important thing,.... beer!!
Lol.... it's not that much weight a couple ounces if that

I'm curious about this setup. Do both antennae transmit or is one TX and the other RX? The amplifiers look to be set to amplify transmitted signals, do they also boost gain on received signals? I'm a HAM operator so be technical if you like, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks!

I'm curious about this setup. Do both antennae transmit or is one TX and the other RX? The amplifiers look to be set to amplify transmitted signals, do they also boost gain on received signals? I'm a HAM operator so be technical if you like, I'll appreciate it.

Thanks!

The left side is transmit and right is receive. The amps amplify both, but receiver amplification is much less and subject to cross interference. I originally used the FPVLR yagi antenna with dual amplification and it worked, but there was cross interference between TX and RX which you can see as the amps have a blue light that blinks when transmitting. Only the TX side should blink, but if you have cross interference both will blink. I switched to Circular Polarizing type antenna because there is diversity between TX and RX due to the one being left hand circularizing and the other being right hand. With this antenna the RX side remains isolated and you get minimal interference and the cleanest signal for amplification. Downside of Circular Polarizing is that the Mavic has linear polarizing antennas which means the controller and Mavic are not matching. This results in 3db loss. Even with this loss, I see much better results with CP type antenna on controller due to the isolation from cross interference as well as some isolation from external interference. If you wanted to optimize further, one would need to add Circular Polarizing antenna to the drone and further optimization, you could add an amp to the transmitting side. Anyway, even with just controller side mods, I see plenty of range. I think I could get over 40,000 feet in the right environment.

Reactions: rolo tomasi

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr