DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

App will not connect

windjunkie

Reactions
I've searched the forums and have not found a solution to my problem. I've been flying my mavic with no issues for over a month. Now it will not connect to the app. I powered my rig and it said it wanted to update. I bypassed the update (because I was out on a hike) and everything seemed fine. I then did a compass calibration which seemed to go ok. Went back to my remote and noticed no camera feed. Then realize it is disconnected. I am using an iPhone 7. I got a regular lightning cord and connected to the usb port and it did not work either. I connected to DJI assistant and updated the software on the mavic and remote to v01.03.0500. Still would not connect. I tried connecting to an iPad that I've used before and nothing. I deleted the app and reinstalled. Power cycled my phone.

Seems like I've tried everything and looking for ideas.

Let's do a step by step diagnostic to see if we can fix the problem. You'll only need your RC and phone. First let's unplug everything from the RC and check the ports to see if anything is lodged in them. If nothing, power on the RC.

Plug in the little dongle into the side port and then plug the dongle into the phone with app already running. When you enter the device, does it have a grey "Disconnected" status or a red "Aircraft disconnected" status?

Thanks for checking out my problem. Nothing lodged in ports. It is grey disconnected.

Last edited:
Yes with dji assistant running on my computer. The remote is recognized on my computer. Is that what you mean?

Same problem - although my app connects to the RC, but does not get a gimbal feed and states 'gimbal disconnected' all the time. On the odd occasion I get a FPV feed for about 5 seconds or so and thats it.

I did get it to work sometimes by starting the drone up with no memory card inserted. Then insert memory card with the drone on and FPV feed active, and immediately format the card. Although this was also hit and miss.

I therefore tried my iPad Wifi instead - and that works perfectly every time. I prefer the larger screen now anyways, so I stick to my iPad. I know that doesn't really help your situation though...... lol ;)

I will try to synch my phone when I get home just to be sure but I'm thinking it is probably ok because I tried connecting on my iPad mini and it did not work either.

I will try to synch my phone when I get home just to be sure but I'm thinking it is probably ok because I tried connecting on my iPad mini and it did not work either.
So your iDevices connect, and your RC connects. Then let's try one last thing. Unplug the dongle from the side port of the RC and plug in a USB to Lightning cord into the bottom of the RC. Connect the device. What's the status now?

It's important the dongle on the side port is unplugged before plugging in the bottom. Otherwise it may not work.

Sadly, that was one of the first things I tried. USB to lightning with the side port cable removed and still got the grey disconnected. Sounds like the Rc is going back to china. Concur?

Sadly, that was one of the first things I tried. USB to lightning with the side port cable removed and still got the grey disconnected. Sounds like the Rc is going back to china. Concur?
Perhaps. I was trying to determine if it was just a bad dongle and was hoping to eliminate the RC being an issue. I unfortunately have no more tests.

Is the app set for "Mavic Pro" and not another aircraft on the main screen ?

Wanted to update my progress. I tried to see if dji chat would be able to help and they were no help at all. I ended up sending the remote into dji a week ago for repair. I just got back notice that it will be repaired under warranty.

Wanted to update my progress. I tried to see if dji chat would be able to help and they were no help at all. I ended up sending the remote into dji a week ago for repair. I just got back notice that it will be repaired under warranty.

I've noticed a problem recently where the app doesn't seem to connect to the controller. I've managed to get around it by connecting my phone to the controller. Opening the app. And then turning the phone off and on again. This always results in the app connecting. It's a pain but it works for me.

I've noticed a problem recently where the app doesn't seem to connect to the controller. I've managed to get around it by connecting my phone to the controller. Opening the app. And then turning the phone off and on again. This always results in the app connecting. It's a pain but it works for me.
Thanks for the information but I've tried every conceivable power on/off combination including the one you suggest to no avail.

Last update. I sent out the RC on 3/8/17 and it was delivered 3/29/17. It looks like the same remote but I can't be 100% sure. I sent it with no cables and it came back with a lightning cable. The battery was fully depleted. The software needed an update. The RC was no longer connected to my mavic. It was easy to reconnect to the mavic. The RC now connects to my phone as normal and did a quick test flight without any issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78