DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are our days numbered?!

frankiez

Reactions
I hate to bring this up, but I am sure it's in the back of everyone's mind.

I recently got into drones and the Mavic is my first. With how easy it is to fly, how long will it be before we hear of someone using a drone or drones to cause mass havoc and hurt/kill a lot of people.

There are certain radicalized factions in this world that hate us (Whether we're Americans or christians) and will do whatever they can to kill us. I hope this NEVER happens but if it does, will ALL drones be banned? How can any governing body or department keep track of everyone who purchases a drone. Even if it isn't an upscale drone that can fly over a mile. A cheap $100 drone with even a low res camera can be fitted with something that can cause harm. Even something as simple as a bottle filled with gasoline and lit on fire. Someone can crash it into a crowd of people or worse into a highly flammable structure filled with innocent people.

I'm just afraid that something is gonna happen. I pray that it never does.

I recently got into drones and the Mavic is my first. With how easy it is to fly, how long will it be before we hear of someone using a drone or drones to cause mass havoc and hurt/kill a lot of people.

There are certain radicalized factions in this world that hate us (Whether we're Americans or christians) and will do whatever they can to kill us. I hope this NEVER happens but if it does, will ALL drones be banned? How can any governing body or department keep track of everyone who purchases a drone. Even if it isn't an upscale drone that can fly over a mile. A cheap $100 drone with even a low res camera can be fitted with something that can cause harm. Even something as simple as a bottle filled with gasoline and lit on fire. Someone can crash it into a crowd of people or worse into a highly flammable structure filled with innocent people.

Something will happen, it always does; then things change, people adapt and we move on. It is inevitable.
Regards,
-d.

With that logic wouldn't guns, cars and politicians be outlawed?

With that logic wouldn't guns, cars and politicians be outlawed?

Yes, but drones are a fairly new thing. I can see something inevitably happening as Bunny Too said. They may end up banning them to the general public as a knee jerk reaction. What then?

Same thoughts, same fears... but the flying sport is not new, it existed long before "easy-to-fly" quad copters... IMHO a terrorist attack would definitely have a great impact to the hobby, our flying cameras are already scary enough to the public eyes.

Reactions: d2fino and frankiez
People try.
Come to Wyoming, we do whatever the heck we want but winter is eight months of the year.
Regards,
-d.

Wyoming/Montana/Idaho is on our short list for this summer meander. But my SO is on a "I don't want to travel to the US anymore" wave at present.

She had a bad experience with US Customs last summer when she crossed and answered truthfully to the questions.

- Where are you going?
> To visit a friend for a few days.
- How do you know this friend?
> We met on an internet forum.​

And that last answer cost her a 3 hour questioning, searching and waiting game that got her quite upset. The blunt/rude treatment did not help (one guy was kind). I've travelled to the US countless times and never had any issues at all, and she's been there dozens. After that last episode she's PO'd.

Wyoming/Montana/Idaho is on our short list for this summer meander. But my SO is on a "I don't want to travel to the US anymore" wave at present.

She had a bad experience with US Customs last summer when she crossed and answered truthfully to the questions.

- Where are you going?
> To visit a friend for a few days.
- How do you know this friend?
> We met on an internet forum.​

And that last answer cost her a 3 hour questioning, searching and waiting game that got her quite upset. The blunt/rude treatment did not help (one guy was kind). I've travelled to the US countless times and never had any issues at all, and she's been there dozens. After that last episode she's PO'd.
I can understand her frustration and empathize with you, still you should make it out here it is absolutely gorgeous in summer. And you should check out Yellowstone before the caldera pops and we all go away. Hope to see you around around soon, if you do decide let me know.
Regards,
-d.

So can a couple guys with backpacks and pressure cookers.
Wow, pressure cooker. I had never thought of that and I had thought of everything during my teenage years.
Regards,
-d.

Some thoughts to keep in mind:
  • For terrorist purposes it's FAR easier to build a drone from off the shelf parts, than to buy one from some (potentially traceable) supplier. And this would be 100% impossible to regulate for government
  • We've had relatively easy to build/fly RC aircraft that could be piloted FPV and have a bomb strapped to it for the past 20 years... In the last 8-10 years it's been EXTREMELY easy to get all the parts you need for dirt cheap from china to build a fairly advanced aircraft with FPV and long range transmission for about the same price as a mavic, and it would be totally un-traceable.
Sure, people seem to always find ways to blow one another up. And that's sad...

But the public fear/concern over the "Drone Threat" is just another wave of fear over new tech that is somewhat disruptive. (mainly because it's now easy enough to get in the hands of any untrained member of the public, and that means people are doing stupid things with them). Terrorists with real damage on their minds aren't going to need to have something "easy for the un-trained", they'll be able to find a radical RC pilot who could do it on the cheap using parts from a decade or more ago.

The same wave of "Fear" happened when Camcorders were first a "thing"....

Happened again when phones first started getting cameras "Oh no! Can't have phones in bars, or gyms, or hospitals, or theatres, better confiscate them, could be used to spy!" etc... Give it a few years, and now generally nobody cares about camera phones anymore, because it's become mundane...

Like all things, this too shall pass ;)

I can understand her frustration and empathize with you, still you should make it out here it is absolutely gorgeous in summer. And you should check out Yellowstone before the caldera pops and we all go away. Hope to see you around around soon, if you do decide let me know.
Regards,
-d.

Certainly will! Cheers!

You're never going to be 100% safe. DJI drones are already being used by ISIS to take out soldiers. I vote we continue exterminating the evil in this world and go on with our lives.

Reactions: frankiez
Some thoughts to keep in mind:
  • For terrorist purposes it's FAR easier to build a drone from off the shelf parts, than to buy one from some (potentially traceable) supplier. And this would be 100% impossible to regulate for government
  • We've had relatively easy to build/fly RC aircraft that could be piloted FPV and have a bomb strapped to it for the past 20 years... In the last 8-10 years it's been EXTREMELY easy to get all the parts you need for dirt cheap from china to build a fairly advanced aircraft with FPV and long range transmission for about the same price as a mavic, and it would be totally un-traceable.
Sure, people seem to always find ways to blow one another up. And that's sad...

But the public fear/concern over the "Drone Threat" is just another wave of fear over new tech that is somewhat disruptive. (mainly because it's now easy enough to get in the hands of any untrained member of the public, and that means people are doing stupid things with them). Terrorists with real damage on their minds aren't going to need to have something "easy for the un-trained", they'll be able to find a radical RC pilot who could do it on the cheap using parts from a decade or more ago.

The same wave of "Fear" happened when Camcorders were first a "thing"....

Happened again when phones first started getting cameras "Oh no! Can't have phones in bars, or gyms, or hospitals, or theatres, better confiscate them, could be used to spy!" etc... Give it a few years, and now generally nobody cares about camera phones anymore, because it's become mundane...

Like all things, this too shall pass ;)

I hope it will pass. With the state of affairs here in the US and the reports of homegrown terrorists on the news more often, it won't surprise me to find out that some disenchanted youth that wasn't hugged enough as a kid is pledging allegiance to ISIS and just so happens to have a drone that his parents bought him for xmas to try to alleviate the guilt they feel because they haven't been there for him growing up.

I hope it will pass. With the state of affairs here in the US and the reports of homegrown terrorists on the news more often, it won't surprise me to find out that some disenchanted youth that wasn't hugged enough as a kid is pledging allegiance to ISIS and just so happens to have a drone that his parents bought him for xmas to try to alleviate the guilt they feel because they haven't been there for him growing up.

Oh it will pass ;) lol... It might take a full on nuclear apocalypse :) but it will pass... (I'm far more troubled these days about ww3 unfolding as a result of the ridiculous state of things, than drone based terrorism being a real "threat")

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan