DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

attn goggle owners!!!

I vaguely remember something on the FAA side regarding a following community based organization rules.
Right -- that's also a US law.

It's quite vague though since there is no published list of community based organizations that are recognized by US law. The best the FAA will say (which rarely gets mentioned) is to "follow a community based organization like the AMA". And, usually, after making such a statement, they will say their mention of the AMA is not confirming/promoting the AMA is a community based organization that's recognized by US law (just mentioning them because the AMA defines themselves as a "community based organization"). It's all so very confusing...

Even without all of those assumptions, US law states the pilot must fly VLOS and also follow the rules of a community based organization. I can only assume recognized community based organizations are not allowed to create rules that go against US law.

This is certainly all just my understanding after countless hours (many more than I care to admit) of researching this topic.

Reactions: 787steve
I think you can fly with a spotter if you are a member of AMA and you are following their rules. FAA, think has an exemption for a community based organization. I can't get you a source as I am on the road. Maybe someone here could provide a link. I will when I get home.

The law says you have to follow the safety code of a community based org. The AMA is the only recognized qualifying such organization. So, you don't have to be a member, but you do have to abide by their safety code to be considered a hobbyist. If you don't qualify as a hobbyist, you have to fly under part 107. So membership in AMA is not required, but as per their safety code, a spotter is.

Right -- that's also a US law.

It's quite vague though since there is no published list of community based organizations that are recognized by US law. The best the FAA will say (which rarely gets mentioned) is to "follow a community based organization like the AMA". And, usually, after making such a statement, they will say their mention of the AMA is not confirming/promoting the AMA is a community based organization that's recognized by US law (just mentioning them because the AMA defines themselves as a "community based organization"). It's all so very confusing...

Even without all of those assumptions, US law states the pilot must fly VLOS and also follow the rules of a community based organization. I can only assume recognized community based organizations are not allowed to create rules that go against US law.

This is certainly all just my understanding after countless hours (many more than I care to admit) of researching this topic.

I should have gone to the next page and seen your reply before I posted mine. You covered it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu