DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AUSSIE IN CANADADADA & USofA

CHAOSHUMOUR

Reactions
Hey Guys.

First post.

I am flying into LAX in 3 days, then Canada and back to US.
I will be hauling a Mavic with 3 batteries.

Has anyone had any experience with:
* Customs and getting Lithium Batteries in?
* Customs and getting a Drone into the country (can I bring in carry on? Or should I check it - Worried about damage in checked?)
* Any special considerations regards to flying, or do I need to register use in any way?

Cheers
CHAOS.

Don't have answers to your questions sadly, but having lived in both countries I hope it's painless and you have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Chaos, you need to register your drone and pay $ 5 bucks (good for three years) at sUAS Registration to fly it in the US

No registration required to fly it in Canada however read the rules first at Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

General IATA aviation rules are NO LiPO batteries in checked baggage. You can check the drone or carry it on without batteries. You can bring the LiPO batteries in carry on luggage

Travel with the batteries partially discharged ( 60% is a good number )

Customs and airport security could not care less. I suggest you bring proof of purchase from OZ and that will alleviate any customs issues.

So, register the drone for the US, read the rules in both countries and use carry on for the drone/batteries and you will be golden