DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Autumn Skye - Showreel

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Sooo, all of my footage from the Skye trip is now procesed, and all that remains is to post the 2 showreels, ths is the first, all from Skye itself, a magickal island where we had an amazing week of stunning weather - especially given the time of year! Taken with the aAIR3 and MINI3 Pro, flown manually and edited / manually graded in DaVinci Resolve 18...

Still to come is a shorter showreel for Lewis and Harris, and then I want to create a 2023 showreel, although with 140 plus video's from the last 12 months I am not sure just how to trim it all down to fit in one video...

Anyhows, I hope you enjoy this montage from Skye in Autumn 2023....

Oh yes, I enjoyed very much Suzanna! There are so many beautiful spots on the island that it never gets boring. All in all a very well done Showreel, bravo 👍👍👍
cheers Paul and have a nice week!

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Oh yes, I enjoyed very much Suzanna! There are so many beautiful spots on the island that it never gets boring. All in all a very well done Showreel, bravo 👍👍👍
cheers Paul and have a nice week!
Thanks you kindly Paaul, have a great week yourself :)

I have to comment on this one. Your intro credits are well paced as is the video with plenty of variety. The filming is smooth and detail is crisp. In all, it’s one of the better presentations I’ve seen. Thank you for posting it.

• Love
I have to comment on this one. Your intro credits are well paced as is the video with plenty of variety. The filming is smooth and detail is crisp. In all, it’s one of the better presentations I’ve seen. Thank you for posting it.
Thank you for the comment and the kind words and feedback,

Reactions: Dbez1
Wow, loved it. Another great video

I usually skip through videos that are over 2 minutes long because they tend to get a bit boring. Not this one! Very well done!
Thanks, I know some dont like long video's, but when there is soo much to see it is hard to keep it short... I had to leave lots out just to get it into this length...
Working on a 2023 Showreel now, but with 140 video's to choose from, its going to be difficult...

You did a great job bringing all these places to one video in a exceptionally cinematic way. It's a good video to watch to pause and settle in the midst of a busy day.

You did a great job bringing all these places to one video in a exceptionally cinematic way. It's a good video to watch to pause and settle in the midst of a busy day.
Thank you kindly, praise indeed :)

Fab as always Have to ask-to what degree do you pre-plan your shots before you fly. I find when I am in a new photogenic location that I am so in awe of its beauty I just shoot away grabbing what I think might make a great sequence and although it’s usually OK your’s seem to have a clear and smooth route to a super little film. Do you recce each shot and pre-fly it first experimenting with pull-outs, zooms etc? Maybe a closely guarded secret but a hint would be good.

• Love
Fab as always Have to ask-to what degree do you pre-plan your shots before you fly. I find when I am in a new photogenic location that I am so in awe of its beauty I just shoot away grabbing what I think might make a great sequence and although it’s usually OK your’s seem to have a clear and smooth route to a super little film. Do you recce each shot and pre-fly it first experimenting with pull-outs, zooms etc? Maybe a closely guarded secret but a hint would be good.
Thanks for the compliment...

As to how do I capture the footage, generally the locations are a fair distance from home, so its usually a one chance deal to fly in a place. Before going I research on oogle Maps and YT as to where I think may be a good location to fly - previous photographic knowledge of where to shoot also helps - and then put together an itineraray as to where we will park and TOAL from - not set in stone, but it gives some structure, and we ususally make the plans for about half of the holiday days, but go out nd get them when the weather is with us.

For each video of 2 to 5 minutes there could be 5 to 30 minutes of footage, so dont be afraid of trying things multiple times - I am prone to forgetting to press record, so I generally hit record at take off and leave it recording until I land - means lots of footage to trawl through, but less likely to miss a shot - my AVATA is set to autorecord, sometimes I wish the other drones had the same options!

As to the actual flights, I have a few types of shot I find work for me, and I walways look to find an intro and outtro - pan in or reveal and overflight and away or back and away. Then there are the normal bread and butter shots, tracking pans and tracjs with height changes, gimbal moves, top down flights and gimbal down rotation flying up or down, and of course orbits. I fly most of what I do manually, occassionally I will use POI mode, but generally I prefer to fly manually...

As to hints, set your feathering high - look at IaninLondon's YT channel as to what settings to use for yaw rates, etc, and then set up your shot before you make the move, and keep direction changes to an absolute minimum - if you are flying past something then do so as smoothly as you can, no jerky stick inputs - if overflying then keep it in a straight line, you can add a height change, but unless you are doing a specific gimball move do not touch the gimball...

I have ony ever once recce'd a spot, and it was to get some footagee anyway, Callanish Standing Stones, we went in the afternoon we arrived on Lews and Harris, and planned to return for sunrise the next day, but with only one opportunity to capture the sunrise and with weather being chancy, well, I flew the afternoon and got plenty of good footage, but also got the dieas for the next morning, if the weather played ball, which it did...

Anyhows, hope this helps...

Reactions: dozzn
Thanks, glad it was enjoyed :)

Oh! Not again! I'm so, so jealous. You have done Skye proud. You caught its mood wonderfully well. Mesmerising!
Lol, thanks....

Thanks for the compliment...

As to how do I capture the footage, generally the locations are a fair distance from home, so its usually a one chance deal to fly in a place. Before going I research on oogle Maps and YT as to where I think may be a good location to fly - previous photographic knowledge of where to shoot also helps - and then put together an itineraray as to where we will park and TOAL from - not set in stone, but it gives some structure, and we ususally make the plans for about half of the holiday days, but go out nd get them when the weather is with us.

For each video of 2 to 5 minutes there could be 5 to 30 minutes of footage, so dont be afraid of trying things multiple times - I am prone to forgetting to press record, so I generally hit record at take off and leave it recording until I land - means lots of footage to trawl through, but less likely to miss a shot - my AVATA is set to autorecord, sometimes I wish the other drones had the same options!

As to the actual flights, I have a few types of shot I find work for me, and I walways look to find an intro and outtro - pan in or reveal and overflight and away or back and away. Then there are the normal bread and butter shots, tracking pans and tracjs with height changes, gimbal moves, top down flights and gimbal down rotation flying up or down, and of course orbits. I fly most of what I do manually, occassionally I will use POI mode, but generally I prefer to fly manually...

As to hints, set your feathering high - look at IaninLondon's YT channel as to what settings to use for yaw rates, etc, and then set up your shot before you make the move, and keep direction changes to an absolute minimum - if you are flying past something then do so as smoothly as you can, no jerky stick inputs - if overflying then keep it in a straight line, you can add a height change, but unless you are doing a specific gimball move do not touch the gimball...

I have ony ever once recce'd a spot, and it was to get some footagee anyway, Callanish Standing Stones, we went in the afternoon we arrived on Lews and Harris, and planned to return for sunrise the next day, but with only one opportunity to capture the sunrise and with weather being chancy, well, I flew the afternoon and got plenty of good footage, but also got the dieas for the next morning, if the weather played ball, which it did...

Anyhows, hope this helps...
Thanks doesn’t seem quite enough but I shall print this off as a reminder of how to do it. Loads of great ideas and techniques. Hope there isn’t a copyright!!! Very much appreciate the time this will have taken you to jot down. Hope others will find it as helpful as I will so all that remains is to wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas and a brilliant droning New Year.

• Love
Thanks doesn’t seem quite enough but I shall print this off as a reminder of how to do it. Loads of great ideas and techniques. Hope there isn’t a copyright!!! Very much appreciate the time this will have taken you to jot down. Hope others will find it as helpful as I will so all that remains is to wish you and yours a very Happy Christmas and a brilliant droning New Year.
Hon, anyonce can do it, it just takes practice and patience... Yes, ask questions and look at how others do things, even copy their ways of working, but you will reach a point of being happy with what you are capturing - or at least not unhappy with it. Then its about finding your own unique style and viewpoint. My way of working is to go for really relxing 4K with a chiill out vibe, and occassionally I will try something different - hence the AVATA - but once you have the piece of music to use then that dictates the edit...

Seasonal holiday blessings to you and yours, and of course anyone else on the forum, whatever and however you celebrate may it bring joy and happiness. And may 2024 bless us all with health, wealth, happiness and of course clear skies and light winds for drone flying :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas