DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Awesome flying and training... then lost connection, you guessed it 1st crash but I was lucky.

I don't see anything in that area that should cause a disconnect. Maybe the helicopter was broadcasting? I still don't think it'd overwhelm the controller as they'd be on a different frequency.

For what it's worth, you were flying in Class G airspace with class E starting at 700AGL and above that Class B from 4000-8000. Maybe I'm reading the chart wrong, but you're good. When I read class D I had to check. Class D is to the surface any time the tower is operating and is a NFZ.

I circled where you were flying on the attached VFR sectional.

Thanks for your post. You're correct I believe... I was within 5 miles of the municipal airport but not flying over 400 ft., so that class D right? The only air traffic was police copters and a sightseeing one. Anytime I heard their approach I immediately descended and waited for them to pass.

I'm excited to see the log and find out what really happened.

I'm guessing your phone lost connection, but the RC controller did not. If the app shows your last known position at the point of impact, then the RC was fine. You should keep that in mind- ALWAYS check the RC Controller- you may still have control!

You are correct... that exactly what was happening! The RC did say connecting but never could... but now I remember when I found the Mavic the battery had been knocked out; that explains a lot.

Reactions: jdcntulsa
Update:
Thank you everyone, for your comments and suggestions. It would appear I've opened a can of craptastic.

I received my drone but it wasn't the one I sent. I paid almost 200 for non-warranty repair for a drone barely two months old. What I received was a package too large for it's contents which were packed with no padding whatsoever. My controller was unwrapped apparently in transit and scratched up. The drone I paid 192.00 for repair was not the one I sent and was clearly an older one. One of the rear motor arms did not seat in position properly and was slightly loose. There was no paperwork, no report... just here's your stuff.

I get that dji replaces catastrophic damage with a refurbished unit, but a non-warranty repair charge of 192.00 for a crash resulting in a broken gimbal arm warrants this??? So apparently when you send your drone in for repair it then belongs to dji and it's a crap shoot whether you get YOUR drone back or somebody else's.

Not happy... had I know this policy of repair I wouldn't have bought it.

Update:
Thank you everyone, for your comments and suggestions. It would appear I've opened a can of craptastic.

I received my drone but it wasn't the one I sent. I paid almost 200 for non-warranty repair for a drone barely two months old. What I received was a package too large for it's contents which were packed with no padding whatsoever. My controller was unwrapped apparently in transit and scratched up. The drone I paid 192.00 for repair was not the one I sent and was clearly an older one. One of the rear motor arms did not seat in position properly and was slightly loose. There was no paperwork, no report... just here's your stuff.

I get that dji replaces catastrophic damage with a refurbished unit, but a non-warranty repair charge of 192.00 for a crash resulting in a broken gimbal arm warrants this??? So apparently when you send your drone in for repair it then belongs to dji and it's a crap shoot whether you get YOUR drone back or somebody else's.

Not happy... had I know this policy of repair I wouldn't have bought it.

Read the thread - seems like a total bummer. I think if I ever crash where it needs some substantial repair work done I'm sending mine to Thunderdrones - don't want to deal with DJI

This is very concerning to me. I've been reading tons of stories of people losing their drones when they lose connection on a simple run. For anyone that reads this, is this a common thing? Or might there be a fix with a future update? :confused:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13