DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad news to everyone, RID was already active in 01.00.0800 firmware and the drone appears in OpenDroneID app.

I don't understand what "smart device" you are talking about. But I was just showing that it is easily achievable to have a 2.5 km range from drone to smartphone in a rural area. In the urban one, we usually see below 1 km

I don't understand what "smart device" you are talking about. But I was just showing that it is easily achievable to have a 2.5 km range from drone to smartphone in a rural area. In the urban one, we usually see below 1 km
A smart device is just another name for most phones & tablets these days.

I do not think based on my reading of Bluetooth specs, that a smartphone can achieve the range noted as they are not designed to do that. While I could be wrong, i‘d have to see a phone with an app clearly ID a drone close to a kilometer away or 3300’ away for a round #.

If someone designs such a receiver, if not already perhaps, and then sell its it for this specific application for Remote ID, it probably would not be cheap, nor worth the investment for the average person. Perhaps for security for specific venues, where seeing if drones were in the area, it might be useful, but the average person should have no need.. Sure there is always some exception, but that I think would be far and few between...
$50 now buys you a Remote ID receiver that can detect any Mavic 3 on the latest RID broadcasting FW, as well as any other drone broadcasting RID, along with the location of the pilot. That price will certainly drop over the next year. That puts it well within the budget of any drone hater, putting a target on the back of anyone broadcasting RID, no matter how legally they are flying.

Bluetooth is already catching data from 1Km as shown on the latest Ken Heron's video about RID.

RID receivers/karen apps don't communicate with the drone (they don't "talk" to each other), they just listen for the data, like the radio of a car for example. So no matter if the data is sent through WiFi or Bluetooth protocols, as the drones are flying above most obstacles the range will be huge, even with a low power emission and without dedicated high gain antennas on the receiver device.

The drone is "screaming" a tiny packet of data with your location, your ID and the telemetry around, and any device at 1Km or more will be able to hear it, so in resume, anyone that can see the drone flying nearby (200-300m, when the drone becomes audible), will be able to pick up the data in a matter of seconds and go to your takeoff location (or your location if you have the GPS on the device enabled), and it doesn't matter if that location is at 4Km, the emission point of the data is the drone.

And for anyone wondering, this is not a proprietary protocol like Aeroscope (around 4.000€ per device), that works on DJI code, dedicated devices for RID working on Bluetooth and Wi-Fi will be dirty cheap and ofc, any smartphone will be able to track the drone, which is the main purpose or RID, to throw a mob of karens to anyone flying drones for hobby.

Also, flying within the rules won't keep karens away, karens don't waste time reading the rules, if a drone is nearby (300m radious), that drone is spying them, and they must confront the operator ASAP. Same for burglars that want to put their hands on your 1.000-5.000€ flying camera that can be easily sold second hand afterwards.

PS: Is the end of the hobby? Of course not, as long as you are open to making new friends on a regular basis.

Last edited:
A smart device is just another name for most phones & tablets these days.

I do not think based on my reading of Bluetooth specs, that a smartphone can achieve the range noted as they are not designed to do that. While I could be wrong, i‘d have to see a phone with an app clearly ID a drone close to a kilometer away or 3300’ away for a round #.
Just check out the video I posted on LinkedIn. I recorded it as evidence that with just 6 mW power of Dronetag Mini, you can receive the signal into your smartphone to up to 2.5 km. The data are received on my OnePlus 8T phone.

Here you have it full on YouTube:

I'll check it again the next time I fly.

I just confirmed that DroneScanner on its latest version can't detect the Mavic 3 at least on 01.00.0800 on my Galaxy Tab A7, but I've just busted my previous "detection record" with OpenDroneID. I've been able to pick a RID beacon from 1280m away 😱

Pujar.jpg

A beacon is all you need to pick the drone takeoff point, serial number and RID.

Edit: And busted again, 2078m now, just insane how far anyone can pick up your drone with a tablet sitting on a table.

Pujar02.jpg

Last edited:
Well, proven wrong on the range of devices,

However, I still think until proven otherwise its a big to-do about nothing, because most people I don't think have an interesting in chasing people who recreationally or otherwise fly drone's as long as its done safely and doesn't purposely try to be annoying, which of course, we know there are some of those out there.... I also don't think most people will spend money on receivers that might run Remote ID software. Time will tell, always does...

I think there is a bigger problem with clueless politicians than this issue is...

Could it be that the RID info comes from the TX side as well? <2000m is almost unbelievable.

No, it only comes from the drone, I stop receiving beacons frequently as soon as I send the drone further away.

If it came also from the controller, I'd receive beacons on a regular basis independently of the distance of the drone.

Well, proven wrong on the range of devices,

However, I still think until proven otherwise its a big to-do about nothing, because most people I don't think have an interesting in chasing people who recreationally or otherwise fly drone's as long as its done safely and doesn't purposely try to be annoying, which of course, we know there are some of those out there.... I also don't think most people will spend money on receivers that might run Remote ID software. Time will tell, always does...

I think there is a bigger problem with clueless politicians than this issue is...
But now you already see two people with 2km range on smartphone/tablet. It already says something. Or not?

I just confirmed that DroneScanner on its latest version can't detect the Mavic 3 at least on 01.00.0800 on my Galaxy Tab A7, but I've just busted my previous "detection record" with OpenDroneID. I've been able to pick a RID beacon from 1280m away 😱

View attachment 157538

A beacon is all you need to pick the drone takeoff point, serial number and RID.

Edit: And busted again, 2078m now, just insane how far anyone can pick up your drone with a tablet sitting on a table.

View attachment 157539
Hello, can you please check again with Drone Scanner version 1.2.0? There were some issues with receiving DJI remote ID in versions 1.1.0 and below. Please let me know if it works for you (should work same way as OpenDroneID)

Hello, can you please check again with Drone Scanner version 1.2.0? There were some issues with receiving DJI remote ID in versions 1.1.0 and below. Please let me know if it works for you (should work same way as OpenDroneID)

Hi, I've just tested Drone Scanner 1.2.0 on the same device I use with OpenDroneID and wasn't able to detect the Mavic 3 on 0.1.00.0800.

Screenshot_20221127-114219.jpgScreenshot_20221127-114148.jpg

Needs to be on 0.1.00.0900 to be broadcasting from Mavic 3
This time, it is the fault of the Drone Scanner. We still have some troubles with receiving DJI's broadcast. But now it should be finally resolved and we will be releasing a new version soon. I am really sorry about the trouble guys.

Reactions: DARKSeifer
This time, it is the fault of the Drone Scanner. We still have some troubles with receiving DJI's broadcast. But now it should be finally resolved and we will be releasing a new version soon. I am really sorry about the trouble guys.
So, are you suggesting that RID detectors in the United States should still able to detect all Mavic 3's on 0.1.00.0800, even with RID toggled off in the Fly app, despite the fact that DJI claims that it was only permanently activated in the United States with 0.1.00.0900 ?

So, are you suggesting that RID detectors in the United States should still able to detect all Mavic 3's on 0.1.00.0800, even with RID toggled off in the Fly app, despite the fact that DJI claims that it was only permanently activated in the United States with 0.1.00.0900 ?

The update makes the Mavic 3 compliant with the RID regulation, but it was already broadcasting data to the public before 01.00.0900.

As I have shown at the beginning of the topic, my Mavic 3 on 01.00.0800 is broadcasting data (and can be picked up at 2Km by my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7), and I'm in Europe, where eID/RID is not mandatory yet.

On the other hand, the Mini 3 is also broadcasting data and <250g drones, at least in Europe, are exempt of eID/RID.

So yep, DJI drones have been broadcasting for a while worldwide and anyone with OpenDroneID or the future update of DroneScanner will pick up your location easily.

To test if your drone is emitting or not, just download OpenDroneID or the future version of DroneScanner and test it yourself, for example my Mini 2, which is stuck on an older firmware because I have the permanent FCC hack, isn't emitting to the public and also can be hacked (the hack available for free in github) to not being showed i Aeroscope.

Last edited:
I am unfamiliar with the differences between US and EU supplies of DJI drones. But Mavic 3 has been broadcasting RID since the end of May in the EU. I assume the same FW version was in US supplies but you can easily check that with the method DarkSeifer described (checking now in OpenDroneID on Android or in Drone Scanner once we release the fix)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d