DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad news to everyone, RID was already active in 01.00.0800 firmware and the drone appears in OpenDroneID app.

I am unfamiliar with the differences between US and EU supplies of DJI drones. But Mavic 3 has been broadcasting RID since the end of May in the EU. I assume the same FW version was in US supplies but you can easily check that with the method DarkSeifer described (checking now in OpenDroneID on Android or in Drone Scanner once we release the fix)
There aren’t any differences in the US and EU supplies of the drones, but several of the FW features are location specific, hopefully including RID broadcasting. For example, the .0900 FW that supposedly first enabled compulsory RID broadcasting in the United States also made the Mavic 3 C1 compliant in Europe, eliminating the user control over the Auxiliary Landing light and the front LED's in Europe. However, it has been confirmed that in the United States that those two C1 requirements are still under user control on .0900. I have two Mavic 3's, one on .0800 and one on .0900, so I will be testing to see if the .0800 is actually already mandatorily broadcasting RID, or whether it still can be toggled off, and is actually off. Will check in OpenDrone ID on Android and your Drone Scanner after the fix. I also have the new upgraded $75 standalone RID scanner enroute!

Just spent some time with my Mavic 3 and the new v2.4 RID RX from Dave at MHDS. My M3C with .0800 FW does not broadcast RID. I looked at every available setting to see if it was user selectable but could not find anything. Will be interesting to hear the results from others but it seems like the M3's on .0800 that are transmitting RID might be isolated to EU units only.

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 1.56.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 1.56.12 PM.png

Just spent some time with my Mavic 3 and the new v2.4 RID RX from Dave at MHDS. My M3C with .0800 FW does not broadcast RID. I looked at every available setting to see if it was user selectable but could not find anything. Will be interesting to hear the results from others but it seems like the M3's on .0800 that are transmitting RID might be isolated to EU units only.

View attachment 157832

View attachment 157833
Good news! That's what I was expecting. Should only be broadcasting RID on .0900 in the United States, not on .0800. What did you use to power the V2.4 RID RX from Dave? Mine arrived yesterday!

I have a few Anker power banks. Not sure what the power draw is on the RID RX but I have a feeling a 2.2Ah bank would power it for over a week.

I have a few Anker power banks. Not sure what the power draw is on the RID RX but I have a feeling a 2.2Ah bank would power it for over a week.
Thanks! I have several myself. Dave just sent a clarifying email. Got it working with one of my Anker power banks, and might leave it connected 24/7, just to see what it sniffs out!
"Some people have emailed me what the two wire connector is for. That is to be used if you want to connect a 3.7 Lipo battery to the receiver. Otherwise, just use a USB-C cable that is plugged into any 5V power brick or your PC / Mac."

Have you tried with OpenDroneID app? The data it's transmitting at 0800 may not be under RID standard, so the dedicated device may not be able to listen properly.

Last edited:
Have you tried with OpenDroneID app? The data it's transmitting at 0800 may not be under RID standard, so the dedicated device may not be able to listen properly.

Negative, I did not. I would like to but I don't own any Android devices.

EDIT: I should add I did try the newest version of DroneScanner (released just the other day) and it too did not detect anything. I realize it's capabilities (on an iPhone) are different than what it can detect on Android via WiFi. Ditto OpenDroneID. GadgetGuy do you have an Android device you can test with alongside the RID RX?

Negative, I did not. I would like to but I don't own any Android devices.

EDIT: I should add I did try the newest version of DroneScanner (released just the other day) and it too did not detect anything. I realize it's capabilities (on an iPhone) are different than what it can detect on Android via WiFi. Ditto OpenDroneID. GadgetGuy do you have an Android device you can test with alongside the RID RX?
I have both the .0800 and .0900 FW versions of the Mavic 3. Testing the .0900 version for accurate detection confirmation will clear up the expected geographic differences in the two FW versions. If it can't detect .0800 but can detect .0900 here in the United States, that's a confirmation for me.

However, I will also see if any of my older Android devices can install and use DroneScanner, for further confirmation that .0800 is undetectable, while .0900 is detectable. I use iPads and iPhones for everything DJI, with the lone exception of the Android based RC Pro. Can DroneScanner be installed on the RC Pro? Anyone know how to do so? That would be great for use in the field, from a single device!

Reactions: kodiak
I have both the .0800 and .0900 FW versions of the Mavic 3. Testing the .0900 version for accurate detection confirmation will clear up the expected geographic differences in the two FW versions. If it can't detect .0800 but can detect .0900 here in the United States, that's a confirmation for me.

However, I will also see if any of my older Android devices can install and use DroneScanner, for further confirmation that .0800 is undetectable, while .0900 is detectable. I use iPads and iPhones for everything DJI, with the lone exception of the Android based RC Pro. Can DroneScanner be installed on the RC Pro? Anyone know how to do so? That would be great for use in the field, from a single device!

Ha- that's an interesting idea. I forgot the RC Pro is an Android device.

And just to clarify, DroneScanner can be installed on iOS devices. I have done that. The app we're interested in for Android is OpenDroneID.

Ha- that's an interesting idea. I forgot the RC Pro is an Android device.

And just to clarify, DroneScanner can be installed on iOS devices. I have done that. The app we're interested in for Android is OpenDroneID.
Thanks for the clarification. If you have the RC Pro, too, and can also figure out how to install OpenDroneID, we'll have two Android data points from the U.S.!

View attachment 157832

View attachment 157833
I can now confirm your results. No Mavic 3 RID broadcasting on .0800 in the United States on the RID RX, but it does immediately pick up the Mavic 3 on .0900 as soon as the motors are armed!

.0800 is not broadcasting RID in the United States!
Only by updating to .0900 will the RID broadcasting take effect in the United States!

Hi, I've just confirmed that DroneScanner on 1.3.0 is currently detecting the Mavic 3 on .0800 in Europe, so now have two apps able to pick the location here without the need of updating it to the .0900.

Pujar_03.jpg

Hi, I've just confirmed that DroneScanner on 1.3.0 is currently detecting the Mavic 3 on .0800 in Europe, so now have two apps able to pick the location here without the need of updating it to the .0900.

View attachment 157968
Correct. The European functionality has not been in question. It was already broadcasting RID on .0800. It's the U.S. functionality that was in dispute, and, in the U.S., it has now been established that it is still not broadcasting RID on .0800, while it is on .0900, as DJI's FW release notes for .0900 indicated. With .0900, Europe lost user control over the Auxiliary LED landing lights, and now has forced front lights on, even during recording, while the U.S. retained control over both.

Hello guys, I see that you are already aware of the new version of Drone Scanner reading Wi-Fi Beacon from DJI drones. In case, you would like to have a better performance on Android devices, please can improve this by:
  1. Disabling Wi-Fi throttling, please see here receiver-android/supported-smartphones.md at master · opendroneid/receiver-android
  2. Disconnecting from your local Wi-Fi
  3. Going to an interference-less environment such as some rural area where you normally fly.
Unfortunately, DJI's RID cannot be received on iOS as Apple doesn't provide the SDK to read the data. This is a limitation for both Drone Scanner and OpenDroneID. So far, iOS can read only Bluetooth Remote ID - e.g. from our Dronetag devices.

I've just tested it with both FCC and CE and here are the conclusions:
  • OpenDroneID app detects Mavic 3 at 01.00.0800 and probably also on earlier firmwares, you don't need 01.00.0900 to be detected, it was already broadcasting to some degree, 01.00.0900 just makes it 100% compliant with the RID legislation in USA.
  • OpenDroneID detects Mavic 3 on 01.00.0800 worldwide, it doesn't matter if you are in FCC or CE.
  • OpenDroneID on a Samsung Tab A7 can receive beacons from as far as 600m if there is line of sight.
  • If the GPS is engaged on the smartphone attached to the controller, OpenDroneID will show the real time coordinates of the pilot, if it's not engaged it will only show the takeoff location.
  • Beacon catching is rather slow, it takes 30-60 seconds or more for the Samsung Tab A7 to pick up the drone, even at close range. There's a chance that passing by drones at high alt/high speed won't show up (I've tested a few flybys).
  • The fixed data part of the beacon (pilot RID, drone take off point, serial number of the drone, etc) can be caught up rather easily, but the current location of the drone doesn't update fast enough to track it.
  • The pilot location is all you need to start a confrontation, which is already broadcasting and easy to catch if the drone is at less than 400m.
  • Mini 2 can't be detected at least at firmware 01.03 by OpenDroneID (<250g won't need to emit eID/RID in Europe in the future, so staying <250g will probably be the easiest way to get rid of it legally).
  • On FCC mode RID beacons could not be caught past 200m, on CE they could be caught at 600m, controller/drone transmission output power was probably interfering the receive of the RID beacons, which is somewhat expected as RID was probably being transmitted at CE power.

Some pics of the test:

View attachment 157185

View attachment 157187

View attachment 157188

You are awesome for testing this and thank you!

I wonder if RFID engages automatically when you place the long-range battery 250g+) in a Mini-3 Pro and RFID becomes optional with the standard battery at 249 grams?

Yes, I had throttling disabled and one of the times I took off with the tablet at just 5 meters, I could climb to 120m and send the drone to 300m without OpenDroneID detecting it; I had to come back closer and wait for the beacon.

A fast flying by drone will be hard to detect, but a drone doing photos or videos in a more static way can be picked up easily.

Responsiveness of RID and devices able to track the drone will improve over time, we could already see that device tha pick up beacons quite fast and can listen up to the M3 to more than 1Km.

The RC-N1 controller takes the GPS data from the mobile phone you use to fly, if you disable it on your phone it won't be shown, just the takeoff location will be.

The smart controllers have inbuilt GPS, but I don't know if in those can be deactivated or not.
FYI there is an Android developer option to push the output from a GPS App such as Trimble to all other apps as if the GNSS came from Android. If one were to make or find an Android app that sends simulated GNSS data and flick the eevkooed option check box to use that simulated Sat to all other apps, then the DJI app would likely assume the phone GNSS is valid and would send the fake GNSS continually instead of the real take-off point.

Anybody want to test this out?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
then the DJI app would likely assume the phone GNSS is valid and would send the fake GNSS continually instead of the real take-off point
Or is the DJI app using the drone's current location (from its internal GPS receiver) as the takeoff point? If so, then you'd only be hiding the pilot's current location.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I wonder if RFID engages automatically when you place the long-range battery 250g+) in a Mini-3 Pro and RFID becomes optional with the standard battery at 249 grams?
All updated Mini 3 Pro drones are already actively transmitting RID, irrespective of whichever battery is inserted, even though it is not yet an FAA requirement, and after September 16th, is only required for commercial flights with the Mini 3 Pro, or flights with the Plus battery inside. Mini 3 Pro units that are not updated to broadcast RID won't suddenly start transmitting RID by inserting the Plus battery. It's on for all or off for all, and that is a function of the FW version, with earlier FW not broadcasting RID at all. No user selection exists, despite the drone never requiring RID for recreational use with the stock battery!

Last edited:
Reactions: msinger
Darn, Now I have to stay under 400ft as much as humanly or dronely possible. Why fly over 400ft. TREES !,It's the trees. To maintain VLOS and RC connection the angle sometimes required to maintain both needs a drone height greater than 400ft. Oh well, just can't fly as far away.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d