DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery catches fire

This would be the first Mavic battery I've heard about catching fire.

By any chance had you recently finished using the battery in the drone or charging it? I'm wondering if it was already internally hot, then knocked around on the bike, and causing further stress which triggered something.

I do wonder about leaving these batteries charging unattended at home. I would not with any cheap looking generic batteries, but a fully sealed productionized battery like the Mavics, seem more reliable.

Glad you're okay and yes, you'll need the battery back from the FD to get it replaced, not sure about your claim for other damages, though.

Reactions: Randyg
I do wonder about leaving these batteries charging unattended at home. I would not with any cheap looking generic batteries, but a fully sealed productionized battery like the Mavics, seem more reliable.

Never charge unattended. Doesn't matter if it's DJI's batteries or some generic. Any lipo whether it's a name brand or not. While intelligent batteries have some safeguards that does not make the risk 0%. DJI's own literature says:

"Never leave the battery unattended during charging. DO NOT charge
the battery near flammable materials or on flammable surfaces such
as carpet or wood."

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Seems like heat may have been an issue? How long was the battery charged? Had it started self discharge? If so it creates heat while doing so, add in 94 degree day and hot exhaust from bike and you may have an issue.

Do not. I repeat. Do not send a defective battery in the mail. There are restrictions on that and you could be fined.
Mate, I don't know what country you're in or the laws there, but if this happened to me, my first call would be to my bike insurance company.

Let them chase DJI in court for the damages.

I believed this story until they offered up the final detail that made me call BS. Lithium batteries that caught fire would not be able to be put out with water.

Yes i though that bit of it was hard to believe

I believed this story until they offered up the final detail that made me call BS. Lithium batteries that caught fire would not be able to be put out with water.
When a cell shorts out it causes heat which ignites the plastic shell thus water would put out the plastic and backpack

Reactions: Vilco
When a cell shorts out it causes heat which ignites the plastic shell thus water would put out the plastic and backpack
If there is enough ignition to light the plastic, the battery itself would definitely be on fire and then the water won't help. Even spraying water on the battery won't show much of a difference. This happened with remote control plane batteries in the bed of a friend's truck. He had to pull the ammo container they were in out of the truck and just let it burn until somebody showed up with a chemical fire extinguisher. The initial water they put on it did nothing.

So, I'm not saying the story is ********, but any plastic you put out will immediately re-ignite by the hot volcano flaming next to it. You might put out the backpack, but only if it's no longer near the battery, which will unfortunately flame for a while.

I don't believe any of this. Do you work or sell for Walkera? First of all if you put a burning lithium battery into water it would explode.

If there is enough ignition to light the plastic, the battery itself would definitely be on fire and then the water won't help.

"A small Li-ion fire can be handled like any other combustible fire. For best result use a foam extinguisher, CO2, ABC dry chemical, powdered graphite, copper powder or soda (sodium carbonate). If the fire occurs in an airplane cabin, the FAA instructs flight attendants to use water or soda pop. Water-based products are most readily available and are appropriate since Li-ion contains very little lithium metal that reacts with water. Water also cools the adjacent area and prevents the fire from spreading. Research laboratories and factories also use water to extinguish Li-ion battery fires. Halon is also used as fire suppressant, but this agent may not be sufficient to extinguish a large Li-ion fire in the cargo bay of an aircraft."

Is it the same with Li-Po, or a different thing?

Reactions: ff22 and KiterTodd
I don't believe any of this. Do you work or sell for Walkera? First of all if you put a burning lithium battery into water it would explode.

That's true if you throw lithium into water, with lithium ion batteries like these that doesn't happen, its just a myth that they do found on the internet from people remembering their days in science class.

Much like throwing table salt (sodium) into a glass of water, nothing happens:)

What is worth bearing in mind, whilst fire is bad, what can be far worst is coming in to contact or breathing in the fumes from a burning lithium ion battery, it will do you seriously ir reversable damage to your lungs etc, where possible you should not try to fight the fire, move it if possible to somewhere outside so it can burn itself out, maybe cover it with sand or earth if you can do so with out the fumes getting you.
Objects can be replaced, your health or your life cant.

Thats why its wise to charge any of this sort of battery chemistry outside or in an out building or similar in case the worst happens

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilrah
I had my mavic pro with a battery in it and an extra battery in my backpack which was strapped down on back of my motorcycle. My backpack caught fire which in turn melted straps causing backpack to fall under seat by back wheel and got lodged between wheel and frame causing back tire to lock up and send me skidding down highway. I came to a stop and dropped bike and ran away thinking my bike was on fire. After looking I noticed it was the backpack. I removed burning pack from bike and put it out with water. After myself and fire department inspected it was determined that the extra battery was what caught fire. My question is how do I go about this with DJI? I luckily was not injured.

Hmmmmmmmm personally , i would think, its possible, your bike was generating to much heat, (was it near the exhaust), which caused the battery to rupture and if you were riding your bike in Michigan, it had to be warm outside as well, i live on the other side in Illinois, so combine the 2 heart sources to the battery contained in a bag with no way for heat to escape, i would think that is the probable cause of the fire.This is just another perspective

I always carry my extra batteries in the pouches on the sides of the Mavic bag included in the Fly More Combo. I put them in with the hard shell/power button facing outwards.

Nothing related to drones. Caught my attention upon seeing your Username. Here's why. :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Roddy
I always thought the mavic batteries were built like a brick shithouse. Seem pretty reliable and sturdy.

Your auto insurers should settle the claim and then subrogate against DJI. Although as someone said earlier good luck getting anything from a Chinese Company. They should have products liability insurance but whether they do or not is a different story.

I was thinking did the backpack slip & allow the battery to get into your wheel, I;m wondering if the fire could have started as a result of moving parts striking/compromising the battery

Another option it to take it back to best buy and tell them it just started burning, and you want a replacement. Never know, they might exchange it. Long shot, but worth trying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev