DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Storage

Is it OK to have a fresh battery installed in my Mavic, and in a shoulder case during storage. Thanks
Do you mean "fresh" as in fully charged?
If so, short term you're probably okay but I have read different posts that batteries of this type should not be stored fully charged for extended periods, especially if your storage spot is prone to temperature extremes.
Maybe charge up the night before you want to go flying. But don't charge up after the weekend is over and put your gear away for the next weekend.

...I have read different posts that batteries of this type should not be stored fully charged for extended periods, especially if your storage spot is prone to temperature extremes..
Maybe in theory but these "intelligent" batteries are programmed to discharge automatically over a period of time. So they will not actually be stored fully charged for long. Mine are set to the default of 10 days but you can set it down to 3 days or similar I think.

Reactions: Eyeinthesky33
The batteries self discharge at your chosen interval (update in battery settings) they can be fully charged and then if not used will gradually take themselves down to the recommended 50%ish level. One thing to note I'm told every time you press the button it resets the timer.

I have mine on a 2 day discharge.

It is absolutely advisable to charge on the day of fight though and even if the battery shows 4 bars from charging a day or more before top it up... this ensures all readings are accurate.

To your actual question my understanding is it's fine to store the battery in the mavic regardless of state of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Do you mean "fresh" as in fully charged?
If so, short term you're probably okay but I have read different posts that batteries of this type should not be stored fully charged for extended periods, especially if your storage spot is prone to temperature extremes.
Maybe charge up the night before you want to go flying. But don't charge up after the weekend is over and put your gear away for the next weekend.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MavicPilots mobile app

Oh, and always start with a topped up 100 percent charged battery for flying. If the battery is close to 100 percent say 98 percent I know that the Phantom series chargers would not top it up that last 2 percent unless you did some special process , but I cant seem to remember what it was. Im not sure if the Mavic battery charger is the same way.

Some interesting points in there... some seem a bit counterintuitive...

"Never transport a damaged battery or a battery with power levelhigher than 5%"

Not sure how you're supposed to get your drone anywhere you want to fly it then!

Not sure how you're supposed to get your drone anywhere you want to fly it then!

Probably refers to shipment.

It's a standard CYA clause. If they say "yeah, it's fine to transport a battery at 100%" and it catches fire because you spill your Coke on it while driving, they don't want that liability. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

Batteries can be volatile if handled incorrectly but they won't "puff" up like conventional LiPos.

If you wish to be super careful you could transport in a Lipo Safe type bag that shields them, but not sure it's necessary for these intelligent batteries.

This tread answer's so many questions I had regarding why my batteries weren't fully charged when I went to use them and why they felt slightly warm to the touch a few days after they had been charged. I really thought it was odd the other day when I changed out a battery for a "fresh" battery and only got 5 minutes of flight time. It had been a few weeks since they were charged. Not sure how I missed the battery storage and use info. Seems like I did a ton of reading when I bought the Mavic.

Quick tip for the RC when charging, keep it charging until the display goes blank for maximun use. When it displays 100 percent during charging its still not fully charged, I used a usb meter and it was still drawing 40mA even though it showed 100 percent on the display. It took another 30 minutes before the charge current reached zero.

obviously not an engineer or battery expert....but why can't you just leave 3 on the charging hub at all times? I don't...but it would seem like the easy thing to do?

What constitutes "over-discharge" ?

I'm not 100% certain.

I do know that you are never meant to discharge to 0%.

obviously not an engineer or battery expert....but why can't you just leave 3 on the charging hub at all times? I don't...but it would seem like the easy thing to do?

It has something to do with not keeping it at 100% for long periods.
Also, if it is constantly charging on the hub, it is being left unattended when you are sleeping, taking a shower or using the bathroom etc. You're not meant to leave them unattended ever.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard