DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery Straps

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Reactions
Hey all,

I think I want to strap in the M2P battery with something that will help keep it in place. This is a preventative measure — I have yet to have either a battery come loose in flight or experience any kind of battery swelling; but if it happens, I would rather not lose the craft because of it.

Those of you doing this: what kind of straps are you using and where did you get them?

I ask because it seems to me that straps that do not interfere with the bottom sensors would have to be 1/4 - 3/8" wide, and they would have to be around 12" long (no less). My searches for velcro straps with those dimensions proved difficult. It would be a shame to have to resort to non-reusable zip ties.

Please mention other qualities of your straps. I would not want them over the battery-release buttons, so the best place seems to be just in front of those, between the two bottom sensors closes to the front of the craft.

Yes?

Thanks, Chris

Reactions: E90RAW
On another DJI aircraft I use a large industrial Rubber O-Ring for this purpose but the aircraft is much smaller than the M2P but you should be able to find something that size locally as well.

The O-ring works great because it's tight and keeps pressure on the battery "just in case" but it's not too tight to stretch back out of the way for a quick battery replacement.

Reactions: BigAl07 and E90RAW
Reactions: E90RAW
Hey all,

I think I want to strap in the M2P battery with something that will help keep it in place. This is a preventative measure — I have yet to have either a battery come loose in flight or experience any kind of battery swelling; but if it happens, I would rather not lose the craft because of it.

Those of you doing this: what kind of straps are you using and where did you get them?

I ask because it seems to me that straps that do not interfere with the bottom sensors would have to be 1/4 - 3/8" wide, and they would have to be around 12" long (no less). My searches for velcro straps with those dimensions proved difficult. It would be a shame to have to resort to non-reusable zip ties.

Please mention other qualities of your straps. I would not want them over the battery-release buttons, so the best place seems to be just in front of those, between the two bottom sensors closes to the front of the craft.

Yes?

Thanks, Chris
The only problem with strapping in a batt is if the batt is starting to swell and you dont notice you could have overheating in the air and conflagration. Its better if the batt pops out or you cant get it to stay in the drone. This would alert you to a potential battery problem/oxidation. DGI engineers designed these this way for a reason.

Do the falling battery is an common issue? or is just an extra layer of precaution?
Mine fit pretty solid with absolutely no play.
I can not see that happening unless you have a damage frame from a previews crash.

Do the falling battery is an common issue? or is just an extra layer of precaution?
Mine fit pretty solid with absolutely no play.
I can not see that happening unless you have a damage frame from a previews crash.

There have allegedly been a very small number of M2P batteries apparently breaking free from the aircraft while in flight. Whether the battery wasn’t correctly secured or swelling caused the battery locks to fail is not 100% certain.

Reactions: zeusfl

Thanks, but anything the required length (at least 300mm / 12") is at least 16=20mm (more than 1/2") thick. None work without mods.

The eBay thing is interesting.

I don't see the O-ring working ... if it's snug, how do you get it on around the battery the first time (in respect to the arms)?

As for the over-heating in the sky: I'm would rather trust that DJI would give me a GO warning for heat (as they do for cold) rather than seeing that it popped out (by having the aircraft disconnect from the controller and fall from the sky).

Yes, all 6 of my batteries fit snugly and I've never crashed, but there are some reports on these boards of them failing on people anyway, even without swollen (when mounted) batteries in a never-crashed AC.

Chris

Reactions: DBT_Drone
The reports are that it can swell and pop out while up in the air. A pre-flight check won't help with this.

Chris
A post flight inspection can be helpful. If there is potential for swelling it should be worse when it’s warm right after use.

Attachments

• 1599094191001772639510789671749.jpg
    1599094191001772639510789671749.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 15990942182983842622906097290125.jpg
    15990942182983842622906097290125.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads