DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bear Mountain, NY - Maiden Flight

Ravnoss

Reactions
After receiving my DJI Mavic last Friday (Thanks Newegg!), I brought it out for her maiden flight this Saturday morning. Not only was this the Mavic's first flight, it was also to first time I ever captured video or flew a drone. You will see that my handling of the drone is still pretty poor, but I am sure it will increase over time.

Because it was my first time and because I don't think I am allowed to fly drones in New York City, I decided to travel a little bit upstate to catch a sunrise at Bear Mountain. Unfortunately when I arrived at 6:00AM I noticed that the drive up was closed off until 8:00AM. A great start of the day.... Luckily the surrounding lakes are not too bad either so thats where I ended up, just in time to catch the sun rise.

Having been an avid amateur photographer for a fair while, I was surprise how little of the knowledge I gained there was actually applicable to video. I really feel I have to start from scratch again. Also, the fact that the the sensor is so small and unforgiving means you have to focus far more on your settings than I ever needed with photography.

Anyway, without further ado my first 40 minutes of flight cut down to 3 minutes. Still lots to learn and happy to receive some tips&tricks!

Because it was my first time and because I don't think I am allowed to fly drones in New York City, I decided to travel a little bit upstate to catch a sunrise at Bear Mountain.
I wouldn't have brought it up but your not allowed to fly at Bear Mountain either.
Bear mountain is just as illegal as NYC. I think you need permission in advance a week or two. I forget.
Anyways, cool stuff dude you beat me to it. NYs:cool:

Very nice! Lucky catch with the deer. I'm surprised the Mavic didn't spook them more. Good music choice. It fit the mood of the footage.

After receiving my DJI Mavic last Friday (Thanks Newegg!), I brought it out for her maiden flight this Saturday morning. Not only was this the Mavic's first flight, it was also to first time I ever captured video or flew a drone.

Wow that was pretty good for someone flying and shooting for the first time.. You sure you have never flown before ? If so , just goes to show how drone technology makes it easier/safer to fly.. Later on get the litchi app if you want more fun.. its pretty amazing too !!

I wouldn't have brought it up but your not allowed to fly at Bear Mountain either.
Bear mountain is just as illegal as NYC. I think you need permission in advance a week or two. I forget.
Anyways, cool stuff dude you beat me to it. NYs:cool:

Yeah I noticed afterwards that Bear Mountain itself seems to be offlimit. I think I was in the clear however as I did the flights a but further from the mountain in the seven lakes drives region.

Very nice! Lucky catch with the deer. I'm surprised the Mavic didn't spook them more. Good music choice. It fit the mood of the footage.

Thanks. I was surprised as well that the deer were more interested than scared.

Wow that was pretty good for someone flying and shooting for the first time.. You sure you have never flown before ? If so , just goes to show how drone technology makes it easier/safer to fly.. Later on get the litchi app if you want more fun.. its pretty amazing too !!

Yeah, really was the first time ever touching a drone. Maybe I don't appreciate the risk yet, but out in the open it is very easy to fly it. Incredibly stable and was confident flying it close to the water. I didn't touch sport mode however, so maybe that makes it easier. Will look into the litchi app. Looks interesting! Thanks!

Good job for your first time, being familiar with photography must of been some help. Nice thing catching those deer, feel envious. LOL Have some Mountain Sheep next to the town I live in and have been waiting patiently to catch them on video, been such a dry year the growth has pretty meager on the mountainside so they've pretty much stayed away. Maybe next spring I'll get luckier.

After receiving my DJI Mavic last Friday (Thanks Newegg!), I brought it out for her maiden flight this Saturday morning. Not only was this the Mavic's first flight, it was also to first time I ever captured video or flew a drone. You will see that my handling of the drone is still pretty poor, but I am sure it will increase over time.

Because it was my first time and because I don't think I am allowed to fly drones in New York City, I decided to travel a little bit upstate to catch a sunrise at Bear Mountain. Unfortunately when I arrived at 6:00AM I noticed that the drive up was closed off until 8:00AM. A great start of the day.... Luckily the surrounding lakes are not too bad either so thats where I ended up, just in time to catch the sun rise.

Having been an avid amateur photographer for a fair while, I was surprise how little of the knowledge I gained there was actually applicable to video. I really feel I have to start from scratch again. Also, the fact that the the sensor is so small and unforgiving means you have to focus far more on your settings than I ever needed with photography.

Anyway, without further ado my first 40 minutes of flight cut down to 3 minutes. Still lots to learn and happy to receive some tips&tricks!

Glad you did not get a fine. Im scared to fly anywhere with all these laws.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure