DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner recommendation

3vic369

Reactions
Ive been out flying for about 10 hrs, I’m really nervous about how to fly when I get high enough not to see the front snd my stick maneuvering . Your Book , video recommendation on improving my skills .

Reactions: dirkclod
As I undestand it, FAA rules prohibit flying above 400 feet altitude and prescribe line of sight. (Yes I know the altitude limits can be defeated) As far as distance, my recommendation is to add aftermarket strobes. I use the Firehouse dual LED on one drone and the Firehouse ARC II on the other. I can see my drone about 2-3 miles ou in the daytime with the latter as long as I am not flying toward the sun. I also use an Alienware signal booster to keep a strong signal... in the AZ deserts it works easily 5-6 miles out in any direction.

Ive been out flying for about 10 hrs, I’m really nervous about how to fly when I get high enough not to see the front snd my stick maneuvering . Your Book , video recommendation on improving my skills .
Use your compass on the go 4 app- It's your best friend when drone disappears from your vision- I fly in the Mohave a lot and when I look up in bright sun I lose sight of the drone a lot- Compass is my key

Reactions: IgorD2 and 3vic369
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: 3vic369
Another good tip I used In the comfort of my house was,

Take your props off your drone, VERY IMORTANT
Start everything up as if you were flying outdoors
This will get you more used to what everything does, play with the Go4 app, change things etc.

I still do this now if I’m not 100% sure about something. I will say though certain thing will not work cos the drone needs to be in the air but it will give you a better understanding of what things do.

This has worked for me, I’ve been flying for about 4 plus years now with no crashes, blimey shouldn’t of said thato_O

I use reflective stickers on the bottom of my drone. I once almost crashed because the drone looked upside down , I lost orientation while being distracted. was only my brain playing tricks on me. Just remember, if you push the stick left and drone moves to the right, it is facing you. in the beginning it is better to use the rudder stick for turning instead. that way you could use pitch forward and rudder stick only.

Reactions: 3vic369
As I undestand it, FAA rules prohibit flying above 400 feet altitude and prescribe line of sight. (Yes I know the altitude limits can be defeated) As far as distance, my recommendation is to add aftermarket strobes. I use the Firehouse dual LED on one drone and the Firehouse ARC II on the other. I can see my drone about 2-3 miles ou in the daytime with the latter as long as I am not flying toward the sun. I also use an Alienware signal booster to keep a strong signal... in the AZ deserts it works easily 5-6 miles out in any direction.
Hello.
Where do you have your strobe mounted and does it interfere with your photography? What kind of Alienware signal booster do you use?
Thanks in advance for your response!

Here’s the links:

Signal booster.
There are others but this one has range and cosmetics I like and is wick detach for transport/storage ALIENTECH PRO 2.4G or 5.8G Antenna Signal Booster

Her’s the nav lights I use. This is the only one with written FAA approval. There are many others. These come with adhesive to attach, which I don’t use (see below)
drone strobe lights

These are the holders I use for the strobes. They simply snap on and off the rotor arms. Less chance of losing the lights in a crash.
Mavic Pro Strobe Light Mounts for Firehouse Dual Series Strobe (Strobes sold seperate)

I am not affiliated with any company. This just what I use.

Reactions: Rambler22
You’ll have to take some pics to answer the last question. If it’s foggy I’m sure they are a problem. If there is interference you could by a hood that snaps on the drone and turn the drone instead of the camera.

Welcome from Chicago. Being a newbe, when flying your Drone always face the direction your drone camera is facing. If flying left, turn your body to the left. Until you feel confident enough that you know the controls well, and avoid a crash. Also, check out Mavic Help and Mavic tips. Those two areas will help you quite a bit in answering futue questions you may have. Blue skies and safe flying to you.

Interesting advice. I always face the direction my drone is, ie toward the drone, to have maximum signal transmission from the controller to the aircraft.

I'm also interested in the strobes and mounts I also have a question this may not be the correct forum to ask but will dji go work with my mavic pro?

My old eyes aren't as reliable as they used to be. I can relate to your questions. I put a yellow skin on my MP. That really helped me see where it is better, but not enough IMO. So I purchased 2 Firehouse ARC II white lights and 2 Firehouse ARC II red lights along with brackets to secure them to the front and rear legs of the drone. It made a huge difference in my ability to track my drone. As someone said above, flying into the sun will always be a problem so I try to locate myself so I'm not doing so as much as possible. It also makes for better video/photos.

Reactions: Thomas B
Here’s the links:

Signal booster.
There are others but this one has range and cosmetics I like and is wick detach for transport/storage ALIENTECH PRO 2.4G or 5.8G Antenna Signal Booster

Her’s the nav lights I use. This is the only one with written FAA approval. There are many others. These come with adhesive to attach, which I don’t use (see below)
drone strobe lights

These are the holders I use for the strobes. They simply snap on and off the rotor arms. Less chance of losing the lights in a crash.
Mavic Pro Strobe Light Mounts for Firehouse Dual Series Strobe (Strobes sold seperate)

I am not affiliated with any company. This just what I use.

Thanks a ton for posting these links!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karajovic