DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best battery discharge method?

Won't that cause the MP to over-heat with the motors running while sitting still on the ground?
From varied input I've concluded that we should not discharge our batteries to the point of shutting down. My drone didn't overheat, but now I plan not to let the batteries drop below 20%. That standard eliminates having to run the drone on the ground apart from takeoff and landing.

Thanks

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
You say the percentage estimation of remaining capacity would be worthless if amps (current draw) “were a major determination”. I never suggested current draw was a major factor, it is one of many factors that are used by the SOC to estimate time to empty.

I would say that current draw is a MAJOR factor as to flight time. Voltage = current (Amps) X resistance (Ohms)

Fly those bartteries! You spent the money to enjoy the hobby but are diminishing the fun worrying about battery care. Golfers lose golf balls that cost 4-$5 each! Sometimes more than 1 a hole. We get peeved over some loss of battery capacity that equates to just nickels per flight? Are we not smarter than golfers? Our “golf ball” comes back with the push of a button? Enjoy. Just some perspective.

Hmmm... Transponders in golf balls? Maybe a new biz?

This is a tough post to follow... everyone is commenting on different types of drone batteries... Some one mentioned that "Older DJI Batteries" aren't the same as the newer ones with NO reference as to what is "Old" and what is "New". Can't compare apples to oranges.

This is a tough post to follow... everyone is commenting on different types of drone batteries... Some one mentioned that "Older DJI Batteries" aren't the same as the newer ones with NO reference as to what is "Old" and what is "New". Can't compare apples to oranges.
You can take new as being those that implement impedance track and fuel gauging (current Texas Instruments battery monitor SOC’s)....

All this being said, people, dont deliberately plan to fly your battery down to 10% or even 15% unless you are aware of the consequences and risks. Not worth it to me. I plan to land at 20-25%.
Hmmm.. If this is the case, then why is DJI advertising 31mins for the mavic 2 when a pilot can't even safely fly below 25% battery, and 75% battery definitely won't give 31mins flight time,... So frustrating and misleading at the sane time from dji

Hmmm.. If this is the case, then why is DJI advertising 31mins for the mavic 2 when a pilot can't even safely fly below 25% battery, and 75% battery definitely won't give 31mins flight time,... So frustrating and misleading at the sane time from dji
The M2 easily flies 31 minutes. It also exceeds the rated flight distance of 18km and signal range of 8km.

Marketing.

If that is not enough... noting they are stating is incorrect. Anyone is free to fly their drone down to 10%. DJI is not making anyone fly for less time and their claim of flight time is not correct. Same way car manufactures show you Time To Empty. They are not lying and you are free to drive until the tank is empty. This type of measurement is very common place, it's not incorrect and it is really the best way to accurately measure these types of things.

You can try it and let us know. Discretion is the better part of valor.
DJI had let us know- 31 mins if flown at a leisurely and constant 25kph in zero wind and 29mins in a hover. I have seen the hover test and it was best part or 29 mins with the throttle pegged up to hold off auto-land to best part of 0%....

Marketing.

If that is not enough... noting they are stating is incorrect. Anyone is free to fly their drone down to 10%. DJI is not making anyone fly for less time and their claim of flight time is not correct. Same way car manufactures show you Time To Empty. They are not lying and you are free to drive until the tank is empty. This type of measurement is very common place, it's not incorrect and it is really the best way to accurately measure these types of things.
The stated flight times are realised flying below 10%.

Its the same as DJI has done for probably all models, at least from phantom 3 onwards and Inspire 1 (I haven't owned the earlier models).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead