DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Buy Protection vs DJI Care

All State Farm agents, except those in CA, are able to offer the standalone PAI policy to cover drones, but some either don't know it, or don't find it worthwhile to bother with the paperwork, given the paltry commission on a $75 policy!
Right you are. Mostly the latter, me thinks

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Aged thread... found via the BestBuy TotalTech discussion.

I've had lengthy discussions with several different SF Agents and my Personal Insurance (Non SF). Same story for all, does not apply for Commercial or Professional/PT107 use and similar end results: once used the policy will not cover drones onward. If covering multiple drones, 1 incident effects all drones on policy. Also SF didn't cover Professional drones... Inspire2, M600Pro and their associated payloads within the low cost policy for drones.

BestBuy TotalTech for those making several electronic purchases, the plan will cover 2 drone crashes per year... per yearly subscription. I don't know about the monthly after 2 yrs.

DJI similar to BestBuy except only Drones and seperate policy per each drone at a much higher replacement cost. Looking back I would have been better off with BestBuy TotalTech when purchased a Mavic 2AirS and 2 DJI FPV (spaced out) and recently a Mavic3. One $200 subscription would have covered them all.

Adding a SF policy would be nice for older drones too... and simple coverage til used.

Aged thread... found via the BestBuy TotalTech discussion.

I've had lengthy discussions with several different SF Agents and my Personal Insurance (Non SF). Same story for all, does not apply for Commercial or Professional/PT107 use and similar end results: once used the policy will not cover drones onward. If covering multiple drones, 1 incident effects all drones on policy. Also SF didn't cover Professional drones... Inspire2, M600Pro and their associated payloads within the low cost policy for drones.

BestBuy TotalTech for those making several electronic purchases, the plan will cover 2 drone crashes per year... per yearly subscription. I don't know about the monthly after 2 yrs.

DJI similar to BestBuy except only Drones and seperate policy per each drone at a much higher replacement cost. Looking back I would have been better off with BestBuy TotalTech when purchased a Mavic 2AirS and 2 DJI FPV (spaced out) and recently a Mavic3. One $200 subscription would have covered them all.

Adding a SF policy would be nice for older drones too... and simple coverage til used.
The one caveat with the BestBuy TotalTech is all the drones covered must have been purchased from BestBuy, and that means paying retail, plus sales tax. DJI Care requires a DJI drone, but you can buy your DJI drone and DJI Care from any authorized dealer offering the best price, and a couple still don't charge sales tax! The upfront savings pays for DJI Care!

The one caveat with the BestBuy TotalTech is all the drones covered must have been purchased from BestBuy, and that means paying retail, plus sales tax. DJI Care requires a DJI drone, but you can buy your DJI drone and DJI Care from any authorized dealer offering the best price, and a couple still don't charge sales tax! The upfront savings pays for DJI Care!
That's correct... it's indicated as a BestBuy service, not an open market or specific to a drone coverage; it's a service offer for BestBuy Buyers. Although if you previously purchased more than 1 item at BestBuy.. multiple drones, Apple Products, Cameras, Cell Phones, TV's and you previously purchased TotalTech, then it can be as low as zero additional cost for all items afterward of a single TotalTech purchase or renewal, and each drone continues to be covered for up to 2 replacements per year for a max of $99 each... if it's a Mini2 it'd be $80 (under $1000 cost). If it was a DJI FPV crash, that's a pretty good cost compared to DJI Refresh Replacement cost of $259 for 1st.

Ya got a great point on possible sales discounts helping the Care Refresh, but I doubt you'll find the M3 or M3 Cine at any discount for sometime; plus to cover the cost of adding Care Refresh, that be a minimum of $240 1 Yr or $400 for 2 Yrs. The 2 Yr Care Refresh costs the same as 2 Yrs BestBuy TotalTech @ $400, but replacements much higher and covers only 1 drone per Care Refresh vs multiple Drones plus other electronics if you're a busy BestBuy Buyer. If you're a BestBuy Awards member, that adds dollars back too. If you can find a DJI Shop not charging Tax in the States... for my State that'd be great... I haven't. Best I've found it B&H Photo BooCard for Tax savings.

My personal error... I ignored BB TotalTech and purchased 2 DJI FPV kits... spaced apart a few months at BestBuy. Then purchased the DJI 2Yr Care Refresh for each at a pricey level... If I had purchased BB TotalTech it would have been much less and covered a later M2AS and M3... and Epson Photo Printer, Dish Washer, etc. I personally didn't believe the BB TotalTech sales pitch at the time, until I had a conversation with a Store Manager.

That's correct... it's indicated as a BestBuy service, not an open market or specific to a drone coverage; it's a service offer for BestBuy Buyers. Although if you previously purchased more than 1 item at BestBuy.. multiple drones, Apple Products, Cameras, Cell Phones, TV's and you previously purchased TotalTech, then it can be as low as zero additional cost for all items afterward of a single TotalTech purchase or renewal, and each drone continues to be covered for up to 2 replacements per year for a max of $99 each... if it's a Mini2 it'd be $80 (under $1000 cost). If it was a DJI FPV crash, that's a pretty good cost compared to DJI Refresh Replacement cost of $259 for 1st.

Ya got a great point on possible sales discounts helping the Care Refresh, but I doubt you'll find the M3 or M3 Cine at any discount for sometime; plus to cover the cost of adding Care Refresh, that be a minimum of $240 1 Yr or $400 for 2 Yrs. The 2 Yr Care Refresh costs the same as 2 Yrs BestBuy TotalTech @ $400, but replacements much higher and covers only 1 drone per Care Refresh vs multiple Drones plus other electronics if you're a busy BestBuy Buyer. If you're a BestBuy Awards member, that adds dollars back too. If you can find a DJI Shop not charging Tax in the States... for my State that'd be great... I haven't. Best I've found it B&H Photo BooCard for Tax savings.

My personal error... I ignored BB TotalTech and purchased 2 DJI FPV kits... spaced apart a few months at BestBuy. Then purchased the DJI 2Yr Care Refresh for each at a pricey level... If I had purchased BB TotalTech it would have been much less and covered a later M2AS and M3... and Epson Photo Printer, Dish Washer, etc. I personally didn't believe the BB TotalTech sales pitch at the time, until I had a conversation with a Store Manager.

My biggest issue with Best Buy plan is the fact it does not cover fly away. If you fly by the ocean and your drone was attacked by seagull and lost to the sea (yes that actually happened to me this summer), it won't be covered.

My biggest issue with Best Buy plan is the fact it does not cover fly away. If you fly by the ocean and your drone was attacked by seagull and lost to the sea (yes that actually happened to me this summer), it won't be covered.
That's what is new with DJI Care: their so called "Fly Away" protection that covers unrecovered drones, as long as the remote and drone were previously bound to your account. It's a significantly higher deductible than the usual recovered drone replacement, but it now covers drones that are unrecoverable, at the same policy price as before.

Absolutely spot on for that one... BestBuy is a "product replacement" service, not a "risk" acceptance insurance.
Although no insurance carrier is going to cover repeated loss in water or fly away... from my understanding discussing with multiple SF Agents... it's a 1 shot coverage for drones. That's 1 drone in policy, not per instance of each drone in policy. So if instance is high, it's an non-coverage on the 2nd event. DJI recently added Fly Away... but as indicated... a huge replacement premium and I'm not sure if that is more than once.

For my case, if flown commercially (PT107) then no Insurance Polices cover any incident... unless you take out commercial coverage with "hull coverage" and that simply isn't worth it. Better to use the various speciality Drone Insurance such as SkyWatch and add Hull Coverage when needed for a "relatively" low amount. Then again, I'm not sure if that even covers unrecoverable loss either... hadn't looked into that one.

The best insurance is self insurance. They wouldn't write these policies if they didn't make money on them, where the premium, and the deductibles, and exclusions make them money, even after all claims are paid. Anyone who files paid claims loses coverage. Those who have no claims are the most profitable of all. 99% of all losses are due to some form of pilot error. Become a better pilot, and you won't have losses. Keep in mind that all your other equipment survives any lost drone. You still have the RC, all other batteries, the hub, the charger, spare props, and any cases and mounts you own. The drone itself is often a small fraction of your total investment, and all the policies only cover the dronei itself, so when you compare the insurance cost to the bare drone cost alone, it becomes less attractive. The cameras on the drones can be bought separately. Refurbished drones are also often available at a substantial discount. DJI will quote a repair cost on any recovered drone at a very reasonable price, and will just send you a new drone after payment. Lastly, any defective drone is covered free by DJI.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
The best insurance is self insurance. They wouldn't write these policies if they didn't make money on them, where the premium, and the deductibles, and exclusions make them money, even after all claims are paid. Anyone who files paid claims loses coverage. Those who have no claims are the most profitable of all. 99% of all losses are due to some form of pilot error. Become a better pilot, and you won't have losses. Keep in mind that all your other equipment survives any lost drone. You still have the RC, all other batteries, the hub, the charger, spare props, and any cases and mounts you own. The drone itself is often a small fraction of your total investment, and all the policies only cover the dronei itself, so when you compare the insurance cost to the bare drone cost alone, it becomes less attractive. The cameras on the drones can be bought separately. Refurbished drones are also often available at a substantial discount. DJI will quote a repair cost on any recovered drone at a very reasonable price, and will just send you a new drone after payment. Lastly, any defective drone is covered free by DJI.
Couldn't agree more... similar to any insurance, the years we pay Auto Insurance and the money insurance companies make is easily seen in the structures built and agents income.... but we pay to transfer the "possible risk" and associated costs in repairs and legal suits.

On Drones, I've never had an incident (knock on wood)... my 1st time ever using DJI Care Refresh was the new FPV craft. That one will definitely be Pilot error, but that's expected learning FPV techniques... little different situation.

When on site, I take out SkyWatch Liability Insurance party due to needing to show to proof and secondarily to transfer risk... as intended for insurance. Although haven't used Hull option... considered it for my Inspires & X5S or X7 package on a cold day above City site.

I look at it now more as initial coverage on new craft... after proven robust & reliable, reduces the need.

Fly Aways or Water splash... DJI's replacement option approaches actual craft replacement. Insurance Co may be nice for 1 incident.

That's why I've gained an interest in BestBuy TotalTech, not purchasing a specific drone replacement policy, it's 1 fee covering a lot of different electronics... still after all these years, it too hasn't been needed.

No kidding thats not what an agent told me or I would already have I,ll check into that thanks sir
Feel free to simply contact a different agent.

What is the claim process with statefarm? Do I need to send my fly logs ?
From my understanding based on earlier thread discussions... that would be a no. You simply report your craft crashed or loss... and they evidently send you a check for value based on your original provided receipt of purchase.

Another advantage with the TotalTech... I discovered on a Nebraska BestBuy visit... waived Restocking Fees.

You have 60 days to return and if your State has a Restocking Fee, that Restocking Fee is waived for TotalTech Members.

Another advantage with the TotalTech... I discovered on a Nebraska BestBuy visit... waived Restocking Fees.

You have 60 days to return and if your State has a Restocking Fee, that Restocking Fee is waived for TotalTech Members.
For those without TotalTech, Best Buy also waives all restocking fees if there is any alleged defect in the returned item, including drones, that now have a 15% restocking fee. There is always something that isn't working as claimed, like the advertised range or advertised flight time that are always exaggerated! No proof is necessary, and you wouldn't be lying, either!

For those without TotalTech, Best Buy also waives all restocking fees if there is any alleged defect in the returned item, including drones, that now have a 15% restocking fee. There is always something that isn't working as claimed, like the advertised range or advertised flight time that are always exaggerated! No proof is necessary, and you wouldn't be lying, either!
So there taking it back as a defect, not a return?
Do they push exchange if defect?
Good Tip!

Never been an issue for me, my state is no restock fees reguardless. Just noticed it when purchasing a $2K lens in Nebraska this weekend needing a replacement for a malfunctioning lens.

So there taking it back as a defect, not a return?
Do they push exchange if defect?
Good Tip!

Never been an issue for me, my state is no restock fees reguardless. Just noticed it when purchasing a $2K lens in Nebraska this weekend needing a replacement for a malfunctioning lens.
Technically, it's return with a customer perceived defect, which voids the 15% restocking fee assessment. No pressure at all to exchange, as the low level clerks doing the returns are not salespeople, and have no incentive to discourage a full refund under all the Best Buy return rules they must follow. Just make sure you do the return within the prescribed time period, because they will not make any exceptions, for any reason, even if you are a single day outside your return window, based upon your membership, or lack thereof, and the time of year (extended holiday returns being the only extension up to January 16th). That return period is set in stone, and even the store manager cannot override it!

I got burned by it, by foolishly getting a carry bag in a drone bundle swapped out over a bad zipper (to avoid the hassle of setting up a different drone all over again) instead of properly exchanging formally through the register as an exchange, which would have restarted the 15 day returns clock on day 6. After getting the runaround from Autel for several days about a range issue, on the 16th day, it was determined that all the drones had a serious range defect. Best Buy then refused to allow the return of it, since I was now one day past my 15 day return period on the original purchase. They "helpfully" told me to take up my request for a refund of a defective drone up with Autel Robotics, who then told me they do not refund purchases made from Best Buy. Live and learn, and get stuck with falsely advertised Autel Robotics drones! DJI for the win!

Last edited:
Technically, it's return with a customer perceived defect, which voids the 15% restocking fee assessment. No pressure at all to exchange, as the low level clerks doing the returns are not salespeople, and have no incentive to discourage a full refund under all the Best Buy return rules they must follow. Just make sure you do the return within the prescribed time period, because they will not make any exceptions, for any reason, even if you are a single day outside your return window, based upon your membership, or lack thereof, and the time of year (extended holiday returns being the only extension up to January 16th). That return period is set in stone, and even the store manager cannot override it!

I got burned by it, by foolishly getting a carry bag in a drone bundle swapped out over a bad zipper (to avoid the hassle of setting up a different drone all over again) instead of properly exchanging formally through the register as an exchange, which would have restarted the 15 day returns clock on day 6. After getting the runaround from Autel for several days about a range issue, on the 16th day, it was determined that all the drones had a serious range defect. Best Buy then refused to allow the return of it, since I was now one day past my 15 day return period on the original purchase. They "helpfully" told me to take up my request for a refund of a defective drone up with Autel Robotics, who then told me they do not refund purchases made from Best Buy. Live and learn, and get stuck with falsely advertised Autel Robotics drones! DJI for the win!
Interesting, good to know!
My biggest grump with BestBuy system is using your Rewards points... I often have $100 to $200 to use. If you make a purchase with BB Reward money, and then later return it.. multiple times I haven't gotten the Rewards points refunded as they state will happen. Store won't touch it, ya have to contact HQ and that is a frustration factor which often doesn't get corrected and drops off their radar. I now try to use the BB Reward pts only with items I'm confident to keep.

So Best buy protection plan charges you $99 for every repair claim. And it does not cover fly away (e.g., drone lost to the sea).

I would ditch both Best Buy and DJI's plan, and go for State Farm drone insurance. For $79/year, your Mavic 3 is covered for all damage scenario (including fly away) with zero deductible.
But State Farm does not cover part 107 operations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leroyman